• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 326 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You don’t need to worry how I look. I have never been ashamed of myself and an internet troll is certainly not about to change that. You should be ashamed of yourself for kicking a man when he’s down and suggesting he should get sued on top of that. We are done.
You don't get to decide "we're" done. You only have that authority over yourself. The arrogance only makes your unfounded assertions all the more cringeworthy. But what is one to expect from an Armstrong supporter, who was only a disgrace to himself and cycling at large.

And you are insane if you think my intention was to kick a man down on the ground. I and others simply have wanted to defend reason and truth from scurrilous slandering of an innocent rider who did no wrong. As has been pointed out, had Wright in any way broken the rules and comported himself improperly, the jury would have relegated him or thrown him out of the race with a hefty fine to boot. That this did not happen means he is innocent and not even JV or Roglic filed a complaint on the day. What I find about the unfortunate developments is that they decided to voice their grievences too late and in such a way as to instigate vitrol on social media and hypocritically in the name of rider safety, when the only dangerous one was Roglic himself. Fortunately the sad move has been largely unsuccessful.

Done indeed and Wright has behaved like a true gentleman, even though in other jobs Roglic would risk being sued for defamation over this. Thankfully, though, cyclists are generally more flexible, especially when a colleague is so dejected and pained as to lose a grip on reality.

Last edited:
I don't see Wright swinging left. They're at 400m to 350m everyone is opening up for the sprint and in a line other than Roglic who decided to peel off to the opposite side of the road after he's just pulled them all to 400m to go. The sprinters clearly didn't want to sprint on the left where Roglic was heading, probably because there was slight left wind also perhapst. I still don't really understand why Roglic was changing his mind so late. If he wanted to sprint for places, there's no way he can recover to sprint anyway in 50m by getting in a wheel, he seems to leave the sprint for everyone else at 400m anyway, but by 300m changes his mind and wants the wheel Wright has by then got onto fully both in terms of any gap for Roglic to fit into and in terms of Roglic is still to his left anyway. Nobody forced Roglic to keep moving towards the right, he decided to start at the left of the road imo and realised he screwed up and by then too late. Had Roglics deviation caused Wright to wipeout, Roglic would be DQ anyway imo, there's no way it would have been seen as Wrights fault.
rogwright.webp

I don't see Wright swinging left. They're at 400m to 350m everyone is opening up for the sprint and in a line other than Roglic who decided to peel off to the opposite side of the road after he's just pulled them all to 400m to go. The sprinters clearly didn't want to sprint on the left where Roglic was heading, probably because there was slight left wind also perhapst. I still don't really understand why Roglic was changing his mind so late. If he wanted to sprint for places, there's no way he can recover to sprint anyway in 50m by getting in a wheel, he seems to leave the sprint for everyone else at 400m anyway, but by 300m changes his mind and wants the wheel Wright has by then got onto fully both in terms of any gap for Roglic to fit into and in terms of Roglic is still to his left anyway. Nobody forced Roglic to keep moving towards the right, he decided to start at the left of the road imo and realised he screwed up and by then too late. Had Roglics deviation caused Wright to wipeout, Roglic would be DQ anyway imo, there's no way it would have been seen as Wrights fault.
rogwright.webp
It's been an historical year. This is the first post from Sam that I've ever agreed with.

Great GIF clip, if anything here it looks like Wright starts slightly outboard of Van Poppel to the left (relative to the direction of travel) at the start of the clip (he's essentially on the white line at the start) then moves to the right (to be pretty much on the wheel of Van Poppel) when Roglic comes in and he stays on Van Poppel's wheel which results in the contact. At no point is Roglic ever near taking Van Poppel's wheel IMO.

I don't think having an online disagreement with Fred Wright warrants overshadowing Rog's achievements in his career.

But hey, the internet works in mysterious ways.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it did. The backlash is completely disproportionate to the sin. It is very surprising - shocking to be honest. It feels as if a lot of guys were just waiting for Roglic to do a wrong move and have an excuse to open fire…

It does look like we haven’t evolved that much from the medieval witch burning mob after all…

Great GIF clip, if anything here it looks like Wright starts slightly outboard of Van Poppel to the left (relative to the direction of travel) at the start of the clip (he's essentially on the white line at the start) then moves to the right (to be pretty much on the wheel of Van Poppel) when Roglic comes in and he stays on Van Poppel's wheel which results in the contact. At no point is Roglic ever near taking Van Poppel's wheel IMO.
It's a split second. At any rate, either he didn't look or cared not Wright had already taken Van Popple's wheel passing without fault, he was going for that spot hellbent, crossed the white stripes and made contact with Fred while losing momentum.

I think it's an unfortunate crash, there's definitely an element of Wright swinging the bike to the left under the pedal stroke as Roglic still drifting to the right and maybe on the opposite pedal stroke swinging right a bit further still. Have to remember the fans are really leaning over. While Roglic might feel Wright wasn't giving him room, I don't think Wright could truly move more right and still sprint with a full open effort. It's not down to Wright to sprint without full effort just because Roglic has decided he wants VanPoppels wheel that's really not there for him by the time he's drifted across the white line.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it did. The backlash is completely disproportionate to the sin. It is very surprising - shocking to be honest. It feels as if a lot of guys were just waiting for Roglic to do a wrong move and have an excuse to open fire…

It does look like we haven’t evolved that much from the medieval witch burning mob after all…
Pitchfork at the ready, sir.

There's absolutely no need to accuse Wright of anything, given that the correct move is to file a protest with the stewards. That said, a little controversy is rarely a bad thing.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
I don't think having an online disagreement with Fred Wright warrants overshadowing Rog's achievements in his career.

But hey, the internet works in mysterious ways.

It looked more than "just disagreement" in my books. TBH Rogla is one of my favourites because his modesty, determination to defy odds and carry on even if the things are not going his way.

I was kinda shell shocked when I read the accusations made by him and his team. But hey, this is me. I can not speak for the others.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It looked more than "just disagreement" in my books. TBH Rogla is one of my favourites because his modesty, determination to defy odds and carry on even if the things are not going his way.

I was kinda shell shocked when I read the accusations made by him and his team. But hey, this is me. I can not speak for the others.

I think your position is very similar to that of others.

But I also think that opinion, i.e. an opinion largely based upon the perception of Roglič as a rider with "modesty, determination to defy odds and carry on even if the things are not going his way" (along with other stuff like "fighter", "humble" etc.) ignores the other side of his personality, i.e. the completely ruthless born winner who'll Gino Mäderize his rivals without a second thought.

People are saying "he couldn't possibly say this stuff about Fred Wright!" because they've been spoon-fed a carefully curated story (or at least ignored the signs they didn't like).

None of this is criticism of Roglič BTW, no, I'm saying as a bike racer the man is totally committed to winning. That's what makes him train & fight hard. It's war out there in the peloton. Cutesy messages from fangirls online praising his humbleness isn't why he does this.

So from that perspective when a nobody like Fred Wright bumps him off his bike... yeah, he gets p*ssed off.

All is fair. This is pro-sports & entertainment. High stakes create high tension & high drama. If Roglič has to Mäderize his rivals during or after a race whilst the internetsphere burns down with indignation, so be it.

Considering everything else happening in the world, this is all a luxury & good sport (including heated rivalries & disagreements). And if Roglič gets that little bit more space next year from riders who'll back off, then he's got what he wanted out of this. No matter what Twitter says.

I think your position is very similar to that of others.

But I also think that opinion, i.e. an opinion largely based upon the perception of Roglič as a rider with "modesty, determination to defy odds and carry on even if the things are not going his way" (along with other stuff like "fighter", "humble" etc.) ignores the other side of his personality, i.e. the completely ruthless born winner who'll Gino Mäderize his rivals without a second thought.

People are saying "he couldn't possibly say this stuff about Fred Wright!" because they've been spoon-fed a carefully curated story (or at least ignored the signs they didn't like).

None of this is criticism of Roglič BTW, no, I'm saying as a bike racer the man is totally committed to winning. That's what makes him train & fight hard. It's war out there in the peloton. Cutesy messages from fangirls online praising his humbleness isn't why he does this.

So from that perspective when a nobody like Fred Wright bumps him off his bike... yeah, he gets p*ssed off.

All is fair. This is pro-sports & entertainment. High stakes create high tension & high drama. If Roglič has to Mäderize his rivals during or after a race whilst the internetsphere burns down with indignation, so be it.

Considering everything else happening in the world, this is all a luxury & good sport (including heated rivalries & disagreements). And if Roglič gets that little bit more space next year from riders who'll back off, then he's got what he wanted out of this. No matter what Twitter says.

There you go again. What kind of joy does it give you sitting behind a keyboard and calling a good young pro rider a nobody? Proper fangirl, as you call it, stuff.

There you go again. What kind of joy does it give you sitting behind a keyboard and calling a good young pro rider a nobody? Proper fangirl, as you call it, stuff.

If it's a Burgos BH rider colliding with the number one, would you say the same? Wright hasn't won anything. He's racing against the 3x defending champ. I mean this is pro-cycling, it has its rules (written & unwritten). I don't care that Carlton Kirby & certain fans have developed fanboyism for Fred Wright this season. I've been watching this sport for 25 years & I can assure you, hierarchy matters. Respect matters & the number on the dossard matters.

Roglič created that move & made the action happen. The race for the GC win was on. The fact I keep on reading about Rog's mistake or basically "how dare he expect some space!" really just masks the widespread belief he's not a champion & doesn't deserve respect on the road.

Just look at the sneering reactions after his crashes in the TdF 2021 & 22, i.e. mockery, insults, blame game etc. It's all there.

I can only shrug at the meltdown his comments have caused tbh.

Says the one defending Roglic who tried to stir up the mob against Wright...

And how is he supposed to win anything, if he doesn't contest the win?

Last year, it seemed most of the blame game was blaming Colbrelli...

Colbrelli bodychecked him. Roglič said so immediately after the crash, so did Jumbo. They then kept their mouths shut for diplomatic reasons, but it got them nothing in the long run.

What mob? The only mob is the one spamming Jumbo & Rogla on Twitter with outrage. I wasn't aware that when a rider (or an f1 driver or anyone in any sport) says another rider caused a crash, it automatically = an attempt to "stir up the mob" against him, i.e. your conclusion here is like 2+2=5.

He wasn't happy with the incident & spoke his mind.

Reactions: acm
I do not defend Roglic. He was definitely wrong here. I’m merely trying to get a rational explanation why he would do that. @Rackham’s explanation that he wants to acquire more respect (or fear if you like) seems the most probable to me.

I never said Wright was wrong, just as I have never been a fan of Armstrong (to the contrary - I was an Ullrich fan). I did say the tapes are inconclusive but that was before I saw the ones that were conclusive.

You can read my previous posts - it should be clear enough… the rest is just guys from this chat putting words into mouths of anyone who dares to get some perspective over the issue.

What mob? The only mob is the one spamming Jumbo & Rogla on Twitter with outrage. I wasn't aware that when a rider (or an f1 driver or anyone in any sport) says another rider caused a crash, it automatically = an attempt to "stir up the mob" against him, i.e. your conclusion here is like 2+2=5.

I agree that Roglic did not actively "stir up the mob", that was indeed a bad choice of words. Nonetheless, he willingly and publicly put Wright in the stocks, which - in today's climate of Twitter outrages - might as well have lead to a shirtstorm against Wright. I don't really understand his and Jumbo's motivation behind these public statements.

I do not defend Roglic. He was definitely wrong here. I’m merely trying to get a rational explanation why he would do that. @Rackham’s explanation that he wants to acquire more respect (or fear if you like) seems the most probable to me.

I never said Wright was wrong, just as I have never been a fan of Armstrong (to the contrary - I was an Ullrich fan). I did say the tapes are inconclusive but that was before I saw the ones that were conclusive.

You can read my previous posts - it should be clear enough… the rest is just guys from this chat putting words into mouths of anyone who dares to get some perspective over the issue.

I'm fine with your explanation, maybe I had a wrong perspective on your posts.

But one question: If you are so concerned about other people putting words into your mouths - why is the first conclusion that you come to that it "feels as if a lot of guys were just waiting for Roglic to do a wrong move and have an excuse to open fire". Aren't you putting way more into what we said yourself?

I agree that Roglic did not actively "stir up the mob", that was indeed a bad choice of words. Nonetheless, he willingly and publicly put Wright in the stocks, which - in today's climate of Twitter outrages - might as well have lead to a shirtstorm against Wright. I don't really understand his and Jumbo's motivation behind these public statements.
They are doing what they should have done last year at TDF. Of course this being Jumbo, they are messing it up…

I don't know about everyone else, but if I wanted to gain more respect (or fear) from my peers, then putting out a crybullying statement to the media complaining that I don't get any respect from younger riders and essentially blaming them for causing me to crash and have my team blame safety issues in the peloton on the lack of respect from younger riders is exactly what I'd do too. It's the smart thing to do as it would make me look like a really big man and then everyone would fear and respect me.

I'm fine with your explanation, maybe I had a wrong perspective on your posts.

But one question: If you are so concerned about other people putting words into your mouths - why is the first conclusion that you come to that it "feels as if a lot of guys were just waiting for Roglic to do a wrong move and have an excuse to open fire". Aren't you putting way more into what we said yourself?
As with all generalisations, that could have been unfair to those to whom it did not apply. I should have said “some” instead of “a lot”. But come one, if you read some post in the past 10 pages - does it not feel this way?

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt

If this is your position, even if it didn't seem so at the time, then I owe you an apology.

Latest posts