• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 423 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The problem is the fact Jumbo paced for the stage. If Rog was hiding an injury, the tactics would have been completely different (if only to keep the pace down).

What happened was inexplicable tbh & I have no explanation. The team knows his condition more than anyone else, so there's some other reason this happened & it's something they didn't expect.
Maybe the weather being suddenly warm messed a bit with his legs, or he just started feeling bad at some point on the final climb. The plan was clearly to fight for the stage win with him.

Incoming Roglic downhill attack on Giau (or even Cibiana)? Both Thomas and Almeida aren't the best descenders.

Won't know until later, but I assume any combo of 1, 3 and 5 are more plausible.

The stage and finishing climb simply weren't that great for him either way.

If hes better in the next stages the weather turning could be a potential explanation aswell, or the rest day or the combination of both. Guess we gonna find out.

Ofc it doesnt explain Jumbos tactics, but then again do we need one for a good old Rabofail?

The problem is the fact Jumbo paced for the stage. If Rog was hiding an injury, the tactics would have been completely different (if only to keep the pace down).

What happened was inexplicable tbh & I have no explanation. The team knows his condition more than anyone else, so there's some other reason this happened & it's something they didn't expect.
There was a short interview on ES shortly after the finish with one of the Jumbo DS's and it was pretty clear from it the team expected Roglic to be stronger than he was. No idea if it was a single bad day for him, or just his real level right now, but it doesn't look likely some known pre-existing problem was the cause for today's weakness. I guess thursday will show us more.

There was a short interview on ES shortly after the finish with one of the Jumbo DS's and it was pretty clear from it the team expected Roglic to be stronger than he was. No idea if it was a single bad day for him, or just his real level right now, but it doesn't look likely some known pre-existing problem was the cause for today's weakness. I guess thursday will show us more.

I prefer the look of Thursday's stage on paper at least, i.e. shorter & the climbs are punchier - especially Forcella Cibiana where Rogla with good legs could drop a bomb with a Hail Mary on the descent.

They need to start considering something like that because following wheels won't work if he gets dropped again. It's especially urgent insofar as the eventual 25 second loss today was almost miraculous & owes only to Sepp Kuss aka 'Rogla's lifeguard'.

Honestly, over the years Kuss has earned a justifiable inclusion in the intro credits scene of Baywatch alongside David Hasselhoff & Pamela Anderson. Saving Rogla's life in GT's is simply what he does.

Just when you think that today's stage will offer some answers, only more questions appear. o_O

So many questions indeed... like where to launch it?

Thursday:

tr0Pe0S0D8TX5Qvcm1Mz_190423-081437.jpg

Friday:

IxQGAw8IfXH0u9nkjHob_190423-092002.jpg

On the plus side he's still in with a chance & this is Primož Roglič we're talking about, aka a champ.

On the downside UAE look way too strong for any long ranger to succeed, whilst just sitting following wheels (& maybe winning an MTF sprint) also looks like a losing proposition if today's form continues into the weekend.

Reactions: acm
So many questions indeed... like where to launch it?

Thursday:

tr0Pe0S0D8TX5Qvcm1Mz_190423-081437.jpg

Friday:

IxQGAw8IfXH0u9nkjHob_190423-092002.jpg

On the plus side he's still in with a chance & this is Primož Roglič we're talking about, aka a champ.

On the downside UAE look way too strong for any long ranger to succeed, whilst just sitting following wheels (& maybe winning an MTF sprint) also looks like a losing proposition if today's form continues into the weekend.
Roglic will most likely maintain contact on Thursday and win the stage causing hope and cries of Stomp to reign out only to crack on Fri and Sat losing 20-40 seconds.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
If you're good you launch on Coi. That one is really steep.

Yes.

And then for the scenario to really pay off, Thomas & Almedia will look at each other like they did today a little bit.

Roglic will most likely maintain contact on Thursday and win the stage causing hope and cries of Stomp to reign out only to crack on Fri and Sat losing 20-40 seconds.

No need to rub salt into the wounds, aka I'm pretty sure most Rog fans are quite realistic this evening. We know how this works & when things start to look bad in the third week of a GT, the situation very rarely improves.

We know this already. But hey, sport is sport & I'll continue cheering for the guy to win until it's totally out of reach. I also hope for some solid roadside Slovenian support later this week as well.

Biggest problem seems to me that with Almeida a second rival stepped in. He needs to lose both of them and I would think he'll need some cushion for the time trial since Almeida and Thomas are better TT'ers as well. (I know this is way off a standard time trial but would take Thomas' and Almeida's chances above Roglic')

Yes.

And then for the scenario to really pay off, Thomas & Almedia will look at each other like they did today a little bit.

No need to rub salt into the wounds, aka I'm pretty sure most Rog fans are quite realistic this evening. We know how this works & when things start to look bad in the third week of a GT, the situation very rarely improves.

We know this already. But hey, sport is sport & I'll continue cheering for the guy to win until it's totally out of reach. I also hope for some solid roadside Slovenian support later this week as well.
Rubbing salt would be saying he’s going to attack, swerve into someone, crash out, and blame them for it. I said what I think would happen rest of this race. Can he improve or hang on enough to win the race overall? Yes absolutely and it helps that tomorrow is a flat stage. But Almeida is stronger than many on here gave him credit for and was overlooked. I think Roglic has a better chance than Thomas and should be second favorite but Almeida should have been the main favorite once Hart and Evenepoel crashed out in my opinion.

Rolgic hasn’t shown he’s been his past self since after the Tour crash and the majority of the forum has looked past it because he hangs on and sprints away at the end. Before and during the Giro all we heard is Evenepoel and Roglic’s hype while talking down on the competition besides when Hart showed he was in great form.

Finally, Roglic fans like to talk him up before and after his success while going to talk down on the opposition. They can’t expect not to receive it in return when Roglic doesn’t live up to the massive hype expectations.

Rubbing salt would be saying he’s going to attack, swerve into someone, crash out, and blame them for it. I said what I think would happen rest of this race. Can he improve or hang on enough to win the race overall? Yes absolutely and it helps that tomorrow is a flat stage. But Almeida is stronger than many on here gave him credit for and was overlooked. I think Roglic has a better chance than Thomas and should be second favorite but Almeida should have been the main favorite once Hart and Evenepoel crashed out in my opinion.

Rolgic hasn’t shown he’s been his past self since after the Tour crash and the majority of the forum has looked past it because he hangs on and sprints away at the end. Before and during the Giro all we heard is Evenepoel and Roglic’s hype while talking down on the competition besides when Hart showed he was in great form.

Finally, Roglic fans like to talk him up before and after his success while going to talk down on the opposition. They can’t expect not to receive it in return when Roglic doesn’t live up to the massive hype expectations.

I wasn't going to respond to such inanity on a day like today but whatever, I'll shoot.

There is no "he's not the same since his Tour crash".

Roglič has been having sh*t days on the bike since way back in the beginning. It happened in the 2018 TdF when he lost the podium spot in the final ITT & there's countless other examples (like Sepp Kuss saving him on the Angliru in 2020). I mean sh*t, it's how the infamous Tour 2020 went to hell.

It's just the way he is & it's just stuff that happens to him. The rest of your post is a weird mishmash of Fred Wright related anxiety & some sort of projection against "all Rog fans" who in your mind have some sort of disdain for his rivals.

I mean if your first impulse upon seeing a sportsman have a bit of an underperformance is to jump into a forum discussion with his fans all guns blazing screaming "waa waa waa Rog fans suck & he's finished at the top since the TdF 2022 crash" then you Sir have some pretty messed up daily hobbies.

I wasn't going to respond to such inanity on a day like today but whatever, I'll shoot.

There is no "he's not the same since his Tour crash".

Roglič has been having sh*t days on the bike since way back in the beginning. It happened in the 2018 TdF when he lost the podium spot in the final ITT & there's countless other examples (like Sepp Kuss saving him on the Angliru in 2020). I mean sh*t, it's how the infamous Tour 2020 went to hell.

It's just the way he is & it's just stuff that happens to him. The rest of your post is a weird mishmash of Fred Wright related anxiety & some sort of projection against "all Rog fans" who in your mind have some sort of disdain for his rivals.

I mean if your first impulse upon seeing a sportsman have a bit of an underperformance is to jump into a forum discussion with his fans all guns blazing screaming "waa waa waa Rog fans suck & he's finished at the top since the TdF 2022 crash" then you Sir have some pretty messed up daily hobbies.
Yes, he’s had bad days but also many crashes and always bounced back to a high level either in the Olympics, Vuelta or week stage races. Ever since the Tour crash last year he has been hanging on and sprinting away at the end for fans to say he’s building form and recovering from the crash. Roglic hasn’t returned to the form he had precrash. Roglic also looked great in those races before he had his bad day. He hasn’t looked great at all so far in this race, or this year.

There’s no Wright anxiety, just stating a fact of what I would say if I “wanted to rub salt in the wound” as you stated I was doing. I’m not the one that needed a long break from cycling and the forum after the crash. I would also think it’s a known fact how Roglic and Evenepoel fans act on the forum towards their favorites and opposition. Though I don’t know if you missed any posts since your sabbatical and coming back. You can always go back and read past posts.

And no, if you see my past posts I didn’t jump into any discussion with his fans “guns blazing”, only after one of the fans initial posts. Unless you think the statement about the stomp and afterwards is “guns blazing”. In this case, responding to you after stating what I think will happen only to be told l was rubbing salt in the wound. All I’ve been saying since the start is Roglic isn’t going to be as strong as he’s being hyped up to be, that I think Evenepoel will win a closely contested race, and Almedia is being overlooked and stronger than thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
It's not quite over yet. Roglič hasn't finished a GT without winning a stage, and if he wins on Thursday, he's right back in the fight. He doesn't even have to go full thermonuclear until Saturday.

It doesn't look good now, but Thomas and Almeida might be underestimating him a little bit now, which could come in handy.
No one is underestimating Roglic, not even a little bit.

I don't think this was only a bad day.
He had enough chances to test the legs, even on Sunday he could stick it in more in the "why not, eh?" way, so my thinking was the he is either waiting for a nuclear snipe when he decides to do it, or that he just doesn't have it. Not only was it not nuclear, it was being happy to lose only the time that was lost.
So I'm inclined to think, he just doesn't have it.
As to why, probably only him and the team know.
Maybe the hope was that by pacing they would prevent attacks from others, but for that Kuss would have to go to the front after Denis, or just pace it a bit slower through the whole day, so the team would last a bit longer with the pacing. Of course this strategy makes sense only if you think others are stronger.
Since they went harder than they could, they maybe didn't expect this outcome either, but I'm not sure if that's because they expected Roglič to be better, or others to be worse. In the first scenario, there is maybe still a glimmer of hope, in the latter, well, gg.

I think he simply doesnt have it this giro, his TT performances were already an indication. And he has been in less than top shape the entire Giro. Thus a turnaround seems unlikely.

I would assume that he normally would be well above the level of Gerraint Thomas and Almeida as well. Although the latter could have improved considering he is young. Same goes for Dunbar who has been around for a while already and suddenly can hang with Roglic on MT finishes. The bunch that comes behind is also not known for being in the top or even 2nd tier of GC riders. With other words a Roglic in the shape of the past would be owning this race.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eeslliw