• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There is a stage 13 on friday (Cividale stage) which almost touches slovenian border and there will be many slovenian fans on the climbs, so that would be the perfect one to get in the breakaway if he'll be interested... :p :p

It is hard to believe that this is Giro d`Italia and that I am the one that is today on Winners podium. The day didn’t started well for me, at 9 o clock I went to check the course, it was raining, that last U corner before the finish line didn’t impress me either. The usual warm up and procedures before the start and the time was quickly 13:20. Only 2 minutes to start when I leave for the ramp, and the race commissar tells me that my bike is too long. WHAT?! As usual in those situations, there is no one from my team, finally I find the team car and sports director gives me a spare bike, I arrived at the start line 20 seconds before I start. Then I realized, the saddle is too low, I don’t have any bottles, and I am cursing. You are really out of luck Rogla, I say to myself. . In that moment there I only wanted to survive the TT, safely through the corners. At approximately 10 k of the race, my Pioneer (meter) flies from my handlebars and hits the ground. I tried to show to my team car that I have lost something, but had no luck with that either. I was angry and felt good on the climb, and since I’ve lost the meter I had to go all in, ful gas. At the end I suffered and thought that I will break the handlebars….Died! I was fast enough to run away before the heavy rain. The waiting for the results was long and stressful, but I couldn’t change anything at that point anymore and it turned out to be very well done. That was the longest TT I ever did in my life, I don’t mind being on top, and once again I got the confirmation that fight till the ens is always a good decision, tomorrow luckily there is a rest day, but the plan for the next stages stays the same – fight fight fight! Thank you for the congratulations, and one more thing: the picture is taken few years back, when I started one of my first recreational climbs. In a way that is where my road started on a borrowed MTB and it is very good to see, what fascinating things life sets for you, if you are brave enough to take the road. I have better equipment now, that is sure!

To win despite all that is incredible. Such a talent!

I posted this in the clinic, where a thread about Roglic has been made. I think it belongs also here because there are some details about his career if anybody is interested.

johnymax said:
I usually don't participate in conversations in this part of the forum but since I follow Roglic closely and I actually started his thread in the other part of the forum I feel that I should write some more about him. I won't give you answers but can give you some information about his background.

He was a ski jumper, yes, and a pretty good one. He showed his talent very early. In 2006 he already won a Continental Cup event (second tier level after World Cup). In the same year he was silver medallist with the team in Junior World Championships and a year later he and his Slovenian team did even better and took the gold in the same competition. Some weeks later he was called up to the senior squad to compete in the season finale of the World Cup (highest level of ski jumping). Like every year in recent history it was a competition on the World's biggest ski jumping hill in Planica, Slovenia. In his first trial jump, a 17 years old Roglič, made a mistake and that coupled with a sudden gust of wind made him crash badly.

Video of the crash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNRYgKyZBAI

In the next couple of months during his rehabilitation he was advised to use a bicycle for quicker recovery. He listened to the advice and started to ride pretty regularly. And he liked it, actually he liked it a lot. But then he went on with his ski jumping career until 2012 when he decided to end with the sport. During that span of time he still had some nice results but nothing extraordinary. He started losing motivation, so he decided it's best for him to quit while he's still young.

Meanwhile his love for cycling was growing. He started to compete in some recreational/amateur races in Slovenia at first with a borrowed mountain bike. He didn't have his own bike at the time. Here is a photo of him in one of those races on a borrowed bike:
received_10153631841178579.jpeg

He decided to give it a go and try to make it in road cycling. This was in 2012. He had no idea how things work in the world of cycling so he sent "job applications" to cycling clubs in Slovenia. Only one of them was interested. All the others didn't respond or replied to him that he's too old to start now. The one club that sent a training program to him was Radenska Rog from Ljubljana. He sold his motorcycle and bought a new bicycle. After that he was still only competing in recreational/amateur races but he quickly become the best amateur rider around and was usually crushing the opposition. It came so far that some of the best amateur racers from Slovenia didn't want to participate in races where Roglič was also competing, because they knew they would have no chance against him and didn't want to get humiliated by some novice.

After his wins in those races, some other teams took notice. A continental club Adria Mobil (biggest cycling team in Slovenia) also became interested. Roglic was sent to do some tests at the Faculty of sport in Ljubljana. The results of the tests were amazing. The person responsible of the tests said to Bogdan Fink, director of Adria Mobil : "The results of the tests are amazing. You have to give this guy a chance. He has huge potential." Fink listened and signed Roglic for the 2013 season.

When being asked about his tests, Roglic replied: "It's nice to hear about the results of the tests, but on the road it doesn't matter. It's completely different when you ride in the peloton. It's everything new to me. I have to learn basically everything of this sport, but I'm eager to start."

From that point on, his career is well documented with results you can easily find on procyclingstats for example. I'll point out some of his biggest/most important ones.

-Already in his first season 2013 he was 15th in the final GC of 2.1.Tour de Slovenie after working for his teamate Rogina who won the race.

- in 2014 he took his first victory in a hilly stage of 2.1.Tour de Azerbaijan. That race was won by Ilnur Zakarin;
Later he took several podium places in 2.1.Sibiu Cycling Tour with a final 3rd place in the GC behind his teamate Rogina and Davide Rebellin;
A month later he took his first victory in an one day race. He won the 1.2. Croatia-Slovenia;
He was 7th in 2.2 Giro del Friuli.

- 2015 is when he took a big step forward and also became attractive to some bigger teams. I won't be talking about his achievements because there are too many and you can easily find'em yourselves. I've just wanted to add a part of an interview with him that was made almost exactly a year ago (soon after he won the queen stage and the GC of Tour de Azerbaijan) and maybe could explain about his suddenly discovered TT ability:

Q: What type of rider would you like to become?
A: An allrounder. At first I was good only on the climbs. On the flat I had a lot of problems, but now I can be good on the flat as well and is much easier for me. I know I can be a very good time-trialist too, but it's difficult for me to comment on that. How can I ride a good time trial when I don't even have a TT bike. If I'll sit on the TT bike just a day before the start of the TT in Ljubljana (mind you...the conversation was about a month before Tour de Slovenie and he was talking about the 1st stage, a 9km ITT), how can you expect me to be fast. I know I have the ability, but I'm not used to ride that bike. We cannot compete with the WT teams in this aspect. We (the team Adria) are who we are, and we have to accept that. We can be compared to teams in our league.

He then got his TT bike a couple of weeks before the start of Tour de Slovenie and came 16th in the opening ITT. He then went on to win the queen stage beating Nieve on a MTF and also won the race overall.

Before the beginning of the current season he's done a lot of specific training on a TT bike for the first time in his career. I've thought already in Algarve and T-A his ITT results were very good. He placed 24th and 30th on flat courses. In T-A if I remember correctly only Nibali and Pinot (with his new TT abilities) were better than him among the GC guys (Roglic was going for GC in that race, he was doing well but the cancellation of the queen stage and a crash compromised his final result). Then a month before the Giro he was in altitude training with his team for the first time in his career.

So here you have some details about his career so far. I think it's very obvious he is extremely talented and his sudden explosion is due to his late arrival to the sport. Nobody knows where's the limit for him, nobody knows what type of rider he'll become. Actually you can see it in his answers that even he doesn't know where is he going to express himself the most. He is as surprised as everyone is.

His new blog post:

"Eppur si muove – Earth is turning in her own way and we are still turning the pedals on the Giro. Sundays TT took a lot of power out of me, as well did the ceremonies, that I am not used to – although I hope I will get a chance to recapture those feeling a couple more times in the future. Rest day is always over very quickly, it was the same on Monday. Instead of alarm in the morning I was woke up by doping control. Yesterday’s stage was really hard and long, had to change my bike again, because battery in gearbox went empty, after yesterday’s stage I didn’t feel very well. But since everything is turning around us, I had to push the pedals for even longer, today. 220 k long stage with a very technical finish, well I had some luck today, I was able to avoid the big crash of the bunch on the left side (link), the peloton has split and we stayed behind. Steven is doing really well and in the coming days we will try to do everything that stays on top! Glad that we are one stage closer to Slovenia."

Source:
https://primozroglic.com/2016/05/18/in-vendar-se-vrti-naprej/

I have to say his climbing has been a bit of a let down. He's had a fantastic first Giro sure, but I'm talking only about his climbing. Kruijswijk didn't have a lot of help from him on the climbs. In fact Bataglin has been climbing better than Primoz. I've hoped from tomorrow on he would show his climbing legs but with two crashes again today things aren't looking good. Damn those crashes...I hope I'm wrong but I don't expect him to be in the mix the next couple of days. Poor Steven if he gets the maglia rosa. How is the team gonna control the attacks?

Re:

johnymax said:
I posted this in the clinic, where a thread about Roglic has been made. I think it belongs also here because there are some details about his career if anybody is interested.

I can only echo those above me in the thread; great write-up. It's very intriguing to follow his development. Also being a follower of ski-jumping, I'm rooting a little extra for him. It's a pity he hasn't been able to show his climbing in this Giro. Hopefully he can recover properly from all the crashes and have a go in one of the mountain stages. Like Machado or Dombrowski, he should be a lot better suited to breakaways than trying to stay in the pack.

Sean Kelly hit the nail on the head about this rider ...Says he is a fantastically strong lad...amasingly strong but he doesn;t really know or have enough experience in how to ride in a peloton or even how to pace a race

That is why he can win by himself but is not great in the bunch...

Same problem if a bit different for Joe Dombroski

Didn't even know he crashed again, hopefully he can recover again. Obviously it helps to have more experience, but also helps if you're a protected rider and have a better position in the front. And as we saw even that doesn't help sometimes with the likes of Froome and Contador crashing out. Sometimes you really avoid it.

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Sean Kelly hit the nail on the head about this rider ...Says he is a fantastically strong lad...amasingly strong but he doesn;t really know or have enough experience in how to ride in a peloton or even how to pace a race

A bit like when Froome became a world beater, he had all this strength all of a sudden but no idea how to race or lead a team. He ended up chasing down all attacks himself, because he could. He's a bit more measured these days, I expect Rogla to adapt as well.

Re:

johnymax said:
I have to say his climbing has been a bit of a let down. He's had a fantastic first Giro sure, but I'm talking only about his climbing. Kruijswijk didn't have a lot of help from him on the climbs. In fact Bataglin has been climbing better than Primoz. I've hoped from tomorrow on he would show his climbing legs but with two crashes again today things aren't looking good. Damn those crashes...I hope I'm wrong but I don't expect him to be in the mix the next couple of days. Poor Steven if he gets the maglia rosa. How is the team gonna control the attacks?

Looks like he's showing more climbing today.

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
johnymax said:

Looks like he's showing more climbing today.

Yeah, many people praised him for some fantastic job done for Kruijsvijk, while that was Battaglin who pulled. Primoz was pedalling kms down the road at that moment. :p

Re: The official Primož Roglič is the new Landa thread

Lequack said:
pablohidalgo7 said:
Next races: Poland and the Olympics.

Olympic timetrial or road race?
Both, of course.

I was hoping he does Dauphine, too. He came out of the Giro in pretty good condition, showing his best climbing on the last mountain stage. I thought he could replace an injured Kruijswijk. But LottoNL line-up has just come out, so no Dauphine for him. He'll probably do national TT and road championships before Poland.

Re: The official Primož Roglič is the new Landa thread

johnymax said:
Lequack said:
pablohidalgo7 said:
Next races: Poland and the Olympics.

Olympic timetrial or road race?
Both, of course.

I was hoping he does Dauphine, too. He came out of the Giro in pretty good condition, showing his best climbing on the last mountain stage. I thought he could replace an injured Kruijswijk. But LottoNL line-up has just come out, so no Dauphine for him. He'll probably do national TT and road championships before Poland.
I have to correct myself. The Olympic TT is not yet a sure thing for Rogla. Slovenia has only one spot for the race. Before the Giro it was almost certain that it's gonna be Spilak who will ride the TT. But now with the rise of Roglic as one of the best TT riders and with a so-so season from Spilak things have changed. I think it's still up in the air and it'll come down to the performances in Poland where both are expected to start.

TRENDING THREADS