• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Awesome win today, very happy :razz:

"There were a lot of attacks and when I sat in front, I knew this was the moment. I attacked and did everything to keep my lead," said Roglic.
"I keep going full-gas until the finish. I’m speechless. I’m very happy with this victory and that it worked out today."

More: https://www.teamlottojumbo.com/cycling-news/primoz-roglic-solos-to-a-beautiful-pais-vasco-victory-in-bilbao

C8vb9hWXkAEZXEU.jpg:large

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Both Bennett and Roglic are doing really good at LottoNL.
Yup. And aint nobody can tell the difference between them. :lol:

Primoz will obviously ride TdF which is understandable, they wan't to give him experience and see what he can do in such a race. But the main goal is still Groenewegen, I suppose? Anyways, its extremely hard to win a sprint in TdF against that competition, but I guess he has many chances. Will Bennett support Kruijswijk (he really should if they are serious about trying to win Giro) or stage hunt TdF?

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Both Bennett and Roglic are doing really good at LottoNL.
Yup. And aint nobody can tell the difference between them. :lol:

Primoz will obviously ride TdF which is understandable, they wan't to give him experience and see what he can do in such a race. But the main goal is still Groenewegen, I suppose? Anyways, its extremely hard to win a sprint in TdF against that competition, but I guess he has many chances. Will Bennett support Kruijswijk (he really should if they are serious about trying to win Giro) or stage hunt TdF?
A poster in this thread said that Gesink, Roglic, Bennett, Groenewegen+sprint train are scheduled to ride the Tour. I guess the first three are all going to have a free role. Gesink is going for stage wins and I think both Roglic and Bennett will start with the intention to follow the best GC men and then see what happens.

So no Giro for Bennett I suppose. Kruijswijk will have Battaglin, Campenaerts, Clement, Van den Broeck as support riders among others.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Dunno yet.
Anyway, today Roglic a bit off. GT leader might be to soon. Stage hunt TDF seems more likely

I had a feeling this would happen. After his stage win he said he attacked despite not having great legs. Today I think it was a combination of fatigue after his efforts yesterday, too steep gradients (although that didn't bother him on the muritos in T-A and on Malhao, so I don't think that's the major problem), although he is a good climber he is still a step or two behind the best climbers of the World, but mostly I think he is getting tired. He is on close to peak form since early February in Valenciana. That's a big step forward from last year in which he was visibly tired already in Catalunya. We will see tomorrow but I think his form is dropping. Maybe I'm wrong, it's just a feeling I've got. He might still do a good TT, in fact the team expects him to fight for the win.

I really hope Bennet rides the Giro, he'd be the best climbing domestique for Kruisjwijk. If Gesink is to go stage hunting, there's no need for both Bennet and roglic, especially with the lack of a mountainous parcours for Bennet to also stagehunt at.

Fantastic performance. I believed before the stage he could climb up to a top10 but not top5. He is really becoming one of the best TT riders in the World and certainly one of the most versatile. He can do well on short, long, flat and hilly courses.

As far as climbing goes, he is still not there. If he wants to compete against the very best of stage racing, he needs to improve. Someone said in the other thread that he reminds him of Tom Dumoulin as a type of rider. I think it's a very good comparison right now. It'll be interesting to see what he does in Romandie. There is usually a true mountain stage every year and Rogla has never done anything worth mentioning on those thus far in his career. Even if my theory was that he's getting tired, I'm ready to be surprised again. The prologue and ITT should suit him.

And Primož, thank you for choosing cycling over ski jumping. :)

Re:

johnymax said:
Fantastic performance. I believed before the stage he could climb up to a top10 but not top5. He is really becoming one of the best TT riders in the World and certainly one of the most versatile. He can do well on short, long, flat and hilly courses.

As far as climbing goes, he is still not there. If he wants to compete against the very best of stage racing, he needs to improve. Someone said in the other thread that he reminds him of Tom Dumoulin as a type of rider. I think it's a very good comparison right now. It'll be interesting to see what he does in Romandie. There is usually a true mountain stage every year and Rogla has never done anything worth mentioning on those thus far in his career. Even if my theory was that he's getting tired, I'm ready to be surprised again. The prologue and ITT should suit him.

Re Romandie the course does not seem to be difficult this year

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4180&p=2047375&hilit=romandie#p2047375

https://youtu.be/WM1pZ3jf-Yw

The last ITT is quite hilly though.

Re: Re:

roundabout said:
johnymax said:

Re Romandie the course does not seem to be difficult this year

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4180&p=2047375&hilit=romandie#p2047375

https://youtu.be/WM1pZ3jf-Yw

The last ITT is quite hilly though.

It's the same as 2015, right?

I'm not really sure who will contend there, but I think Roglič should have as good a chance to win as Ion and Froome.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
I don't understand this title, they're completely different riders.
Landa was the rider of the moment at the time. After his breakout Giro 2015, he was seen by many as the 2016 Giro winner.

Also Roglic was hired by LottoNL because of his climbing performances with his former conti team Adria Mobil. And his first good showing with LottoNL came going uphill, on Alto de Foia in Algarve. I thought his climbing is going to become his strength, not the TT. I think no one could predict that he'll become this strong in TTs, especially in such a short period of time.

I agree they are completely different riders now, though.

TRENDING THREADS