• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Son of Amsterhammer said:
I think he still looks good for the win. He’s doing what he needs to and seemingly doing it using the minimum effort. Unlike others who are killing themselves to get back in contention.

I kind of think the same way. But I wonder also if the crash that Roglic had a few stages back may have taken something out of him? -- I'm guessing probably not, as his time trial was after the crash, and he looked super strong on that stage.

Kind of a fan. Like Roglic. Love Nibali. So them giving the jersey away annoys me.

In my opinion he's showing his limitations here. Anaerobic beast. Pure climbing wise he's not the greatest imo and I think Dumoulin is just much better at limiting his losses and not cracking and all those things.

I'm a fan, but a Nibali fan for the last 10 years so he comes first. Primoz and Nibali seem to be equally strong, except in TTs and of course Nibali has a team. Primoz has to play the defensive game due to the abject weakness of his team. They are Embarrassing. Hopefully it would be different if Gesink and De Plus were there but they aren't. He Knows his team can't protect the jersey so IMO he is playing it smart. I hope he podiums; that will be fine for his first outing as a GT team leader!
Go Primoz!

Re:

Rollthedice said:
I see that not only Nibali but also his fans are getting a fixation on Roglic. It's getting creepy.

I've had a fixation on him since last year :). Sometimes a rider just causes your heart to beat faster. Nibs did it for me 10 years ago and I've stuck by him. But Primoz captured me last year, he's just #2, like Nibs used to be #2 to Alberto, and Valverde has been #3 for well over a decade. It's okay to be a fan of more than 1 rider :).

Re: Re:

Carols said:
Rollthedice said:
I see that not only Nibali but also his fans are getting a fixation on Roglic. It's getting creepy.

I've had a fixation on him since last year :). Sometimes a rider just causes your heart to beat faster. Nibs did it for me 10 years ago and I've stuck by him. But Primoz captured me last year, he's just #2, like Nibs used to be #2 to Alberto, and Valverde has been #3 for well over a decade. It's okay to be a fan of more than 1 rider :).

Primoz caught my attention last year there was a stage in the Tour where I think he distanced Dumoulin on a descent it got my respect because it showed he wasn't a one dimensional rider.

Of course he is relatively new to the sport so still progressing but also probably physiologically better suited to being a Grand Tour contender than he was ski jumping.

I also gravitate towards non pure climbers. Often amongst fans these types of riders receive a lot of doubters and are accused of negative tactics but eventually deliver with sheer strength. I see this with Primoz Roglic. He doesn't have the team but he does have the best time trial in the race amongst the GC. Cadel 2011 TdF like. Somewhat similar race situation too. I hope he doesn't fade or implode.

What bothers me about Roglic is his sudden change of racing attitude. He's normally a quite agressive rider who's not afraid to take initiative. Think of his two solo stage wins in the Tour. But now that there's a GC win at stake he suddenly turns into this ultranegative rider who refuses to take a lead in the final, even when good climbers are taking a lot of time back. I wonder if this was his own decision or if he was following tactical advice from his team directors.

He might still win this Giro if he can control Carapaz, but his chances are certainly diminished by this all too passive attitude.

I think his chances are diminished by not being the strongest climber in the race and not having a team to keep attacks under control. He was unlucky that his two main domestiques got injured. He'd be in a very different position with De Plus and Gesink here.

To me he's been tactically good thus far. He could have probably pulled a bit more on Nivolet not to p*ss Nibali but that's it really. Yesterday he did the right thing.

He isn't best climber in this Giro and his team is very weak so of course he'll leak time in mountains. It's all about pacing himself and carefully choosing his battles for him. It's a long race which favors the climbers a lot but he's still among the top contenders if he rides smart.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
What bothers me about Roglic is his sudden change of racing attitude. He's normally a quite agressive rider who's not afraid to take initiative. Think of his two solo stage wins in the Tour. But now that there's a GC win at stake he suddenly turns into this ultranegative rider who refuses to take a lead in the final, even when good climbers are taking a lot of time back. I wonder if this was his own decision or if he was following tactical advice from his team directors.

He might still win this Giro if he can control Carapaz, but his chances are certainly diminished by this all too passive attitude.

He is doing what they are telling him over the radio. He could have caught Carapaz on the downhill but then he let it go

Re: Re:

topt said:
Pantani_lives said:

He is doing what they are telling him over the radio. He could have caught Carapaz on the downhill but then he let it go

You are delussional

It is looking a lot like the TDF last year to be fair. He was passive through the first two weeks there too. Plus he had some weaker moments in the Alps in the end of week two (La Rosiere and Alpe d'Huez). But his form changed massively going into week three. First Mende and then he was basically the best and most agressive climber in the Pyrenees. I am praying for a simillar form curve in the following week. Because to me he didn't look very good for the past two days (a least in the last kilometers of the climbs...). Maybe the two "Unipuerto" mountain top finishes in week three could be helpful.

I still think he is riding smart and within himself because he is afraid he might blow up at some point. Though I was hoping for a Contador-like Giro of 2011... oh well. I guess I will still be happy if he manages to pull it off in the end.

Even in the Pyrenees he had trouble sustaining his accelerations. He had trouble with the ITT due to a crash before the Tour, but I don't think he's made for the super long and super hard days.

I think we have to keep in mind for Mende that the peloton lost like 20 minutes to the break that day. They'd taken it super easy so they climbed it with very fresh legs. Roglic is an anaerobic beast but in classics the length of the race might be a problem for him. He's basically the polar opposite of Nibali.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:

Thing is, he is all by himself with 3 or 4 rivals who are climbing as well as him. He has to be very careful and calculated on EVERY stage or he will blow up.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Even in the Pyrenees he had trouble sustaining his accelerations. He had trouble with the ITT due to a crash before the Tour, but I don't think he's made for the super long and super hard days.

I think we have to keep in mind for Mende that the peloton lost like 20 minutes to the break that day. They'd taken it super easy so they climbed it with very fresh legs. Roglic is an anaerobic beast but in classics the length of the race might be a problem for him. He's basically the polar opposite of Nibali.

Mr polar opposite who actually needs to make up time is hardly riding a more exciting race.

I'd look at the ridiculous pacing of the route instead with 9 potentially GC relevant stages in 11 days after only 2 in the first 12.

TRENDING THREADS