• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Lequack said:
I don't think the steep Vuelta climbs would suit him, it's really more of a pure climbers GT. I don't imagine him going up the Angliru faster than the pure climber guys. He should focus solely on TDF next year, I think those gradients up up to 10% suit him better.
agreed, i think a tt heavy tour is his best chance. If Geraint Thomas can win a Tour de France with a good team, then so can Primoz Roglic

Last Vuelta didn't have the Angliru. In fact Covadonga was probably the only real HC MTF and even that is a borderline one. This year the Vuelta has the hardest MTF in like stage 5.

A very ITT heavy Tour hasn't happened in ages and if it comes, he'd be a big underdog to Dumoulin anyway.

It is true that sending him to the Tour after the Giro just with intent to help Kruijswik might not be the best use of resources. Especially since they now will have a fresh Laurens De Plus with nothing to do, and they are already sending Bennet and Geisnk to help Kruijswik.

Re:

Lequack said:
It is true that sending him to the Tour after the Giro just with intent to help Kruijswik might not be the best use of resources. Especially since they now will have a fresh Laurens De Plus with nothing to do, and they are already sending Bennet and Geisnk to help Kruijswik.

Rabofail yet again! Send everyone to support Kruijswik who can't possibly win!

Re: Re:

Carols said:
Lequack said:

Rabofail yet again! Send everyone to support Kruijswik who can't possibly win!

What an ill-formed post - Jumbo Visma's GC support team was evenly distributed between the TDF and the Giro - Actually, I'd argue the support team for the Giro should have been stronger, except for injuries/illness to De Plus and Gesink - And it's a split team at the TDF with Groenewegen for the sprints.

I wonder why the team didn't call Bouwman back from the break to help tow Roglic to Landa. He basically finished by himself 2 minutes ahead of the GC guys, but also almost 3 minutes down on the stage winner.

This is from their stage report (translated):
https://www.teamjumbovisma.nl/artikel/nieuws/roglic-ziet-roze-trui-iets-verder-uitlopen-in-giro-ditalia/

"I think it was good that I was in the leading group," said Bouwman. “That gives peace of mind to Primoz, because there is always someone in the front if it is a war among the classification riders. Just like yesterday, today the plan was to send Antwan or me in the flight of the day, so that we could support Primoz later in the stage. In the end, little happens in the peloton. This allowed me to ride for myself, but I soon felt that I could not compete for the win. "

I think Primoz has ridden a strong/gutsy Giro so far. A few things have gone wrong: (1) team support suffered before the Giro started with Gesink out, then de Plus had to abandon with illness; (2) strategic misfire on stage 14 probably cost 90 seconds to Carapaz; (3) team support failure on stage 15 with the bike change problem probably cost 40 seconds to Nibali and Carapaz; (4) two crashes; (5) illness. The strongest climber is leading this Giro, so Carapaz is no fluke, but if things had lined up better for Roglic, he might still be very close to the pink jersey. Sometimes luck goes your way, sometimes it doesn't. Just saying that if all the breaks had gone Roglic's way, he might still be in the hunt for the win. (You can say that about Nibali, too. And you can also say that if all the breaks had gone Carapaz's way, he might be leading by closer to 3 minutes instead of 2 minutes now.)

Re:

dastott said:
Roglic seems fine on short steep climb as he is explosive but long steep ones like Angliru or Zoncolan don't suit him. Reckon he could win the Vuelta this year if Froome doesn't show up.

PCS apparently has this roster for the Vuelta, at least for now

nmBDSH9.png

Lequack said:
Carols said:
Robert5091 said:
Roglic to TdF? Aint gonna happen. Only 27 km ITT and A-team Ineos, Jumbo's best hope is Kruijswijk can win mountains jersey or finish in top 5.

Totally agree, but the plan is to send him to TdF to support Kruijswijk :( Hopefully they rethink it!

Especially since they now have a fresh Laurens De Plus.

Tell me about it! Total waste of Roglic IMO. Though others seemed to think I was 'ill informed' to put it nicely :(

Carols said:
Lequack said:
Carols said:
Robert5091 said:
Roglic to TdF? Aint gonna happen. Only 27 km ITT and A-team Ineos, Jumbo's best hope is Kruijswijk can win mountains jersey or finish in top 5.

Totally agree, but the plan is to send him to TdF to support Kruijswijk :( Hopefully they rethink it!

Especially since they now have a fresh Laurens De Plus.

Tell me about it! Total waste of Roglic IMO. Though others seemed to think I was 'ill informed' to put it nicely :(

No matter how you spin it, ultimately Roglic ( at this stage ) hasn't shown the form to win the Giro - But continue to blame the team.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Roglic is only learning his trade ...There is no doubt in my mind he will win a few GTs in the next 4/5 years

Just needs better support and a bit more endurance which comes with time

He will be 30 later this year, not much time to learn. Nothing until now has proved that he has the climbing ability to win a GT. I was convinced he will not win this Giro even before it started, it's not about him maybe fading or his crap team, he simply is not good enough to win a grand tour designed like this years Giro against this kind of competition. Sure, anything can happen, he is at a very high level overall but he is missing that extra bit uphill to complement his exceptional TT ability.

Rollthedice said:
HelloDolly said:
Roglic is only learning his trade ...There is no doubt in my mind he will win a few GTs in the next 4/5 years

He will be 30 later this year, not much time to learn. Nothing until now has proved that he has the climbing ability to win a GT. I was convinced he will not win this Giro even before it started, it's not about him maybe fading or his crap team, he simply is not good enough to win a grand tour designed like this years Giro against this kind of competition. Sure, anything can happen, he is at a very high level overall but he is missing that extra bit uphill to complement his exceptional TT ability.

If it wasn't for the bad ITT and TTT last year he would get pretty close to winning the Tour (or at least second place). He has ridden exactly two GTs as a contender and has been a podium candidate in both of them. If Thomas can win the Tour at his age with exactly 0 top tens in GTs before, then so can Primož.

bajbar said:
Rollthedice said:
HelloDolly said:

If it wasn't for the bad ITT and TTT last year he would get pretty close to winning the Tour (or at least second place). He has ridden exactly two GTs as a contender and has been a podium candidate in both of them. If Thomas can win the Tour at his age with exactly 0 top tens in GTs before, then so can Primož.

Totally Agree. With more experience and some decent support Primoz can take down a GT. This was his first shot at leading one and aside from trolling with Nibali, lousy support and a Bad Day he'd be assured a podium. He still might get one if he can make it through tomorrow.. Granted Tom D. dropping out improved his chance of podiuming immensely. Some work on his climbing and he'll be a winner in the next couple of years.

TRENDING THREADS