• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 110 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
When on earth did they do that?

This morning, i.e. having made the short(ish) trip from Basque Country to western France.

Here he was again just over an hour ago, i.e. recon TT stage 5 of the Tour (CHANGÉ > LAVAL ESPACE MAYENNE ): grischa niermann on Twitter: "And TT nr. 2 ⁦⁦@LeTour⁩ stage 5 https://t.co/oH9Oq1AGWf" / Twitter

EysLJG0XEAAhDHd

Two TTs in a day? All happening before i had my lunch.

That's some serious dedication!

That's 800k today in the car. 330 to Libourne and 480 to Laval. Wow...that's dedication.

It's a perfect combination of sense & sending a message. It makes "sense" because the spring classics are around the corner (thus recon of the Tour should be done before Tour preparation in the altitude camp starts as well) & the current Covid lockdown in France (i.e. everyone prohibited from going 10km beyond their home unless it's a specified important reason) means there's less traffic & less hassle when travelling. They probably planned this a while back, win or lose Itzulia.

But what's amazing here is the "message" which has been relayed by Eurosport, L'Equipe & other news outlets who're all posting about Primoz Roglic & Grischa Niermann 800 km road trip right now (for example Le périple de Primoz Roglic : 772 km pour reconnaître les deux chronos du Tour - Eurosport ), i.e. overcoming defeats by getting right back to work has been a signature move by Roglic in recent years. But today, right now, he's applying the same tactic even after an amazing win.

Most riders would probably celebrate & relax a little after winning such a prestigious race as Itzulia, but not Roglic. Nope, he's off doing recon for the Tour. Words (amazing, legendary, chapeau etc.) no longer do this guy justice. He's a total inspiration.

It's a perfect combination of sense & sending a message. It makes "sense" because the spring classics are around the corner (thus recon of the Tour should be done before Tour preparation in the altitude camp starts as well) & the current Covid lockdown in France (i.e. everyone prohibited from going 10km beyond their home unless it's a specified important reason) means there's less traffic & less hassle when travelling. They probably planned this a while back, win or lose Itzulia.

Guess he was quite lucky that doing recon for the TdF is considered an important-enough reason, coz I think he might have been a little more than 10km away from his home. Though, to be sure, I don't know exactly where he lives. "Exactly" as in town, not precise address.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If I'm not mistaken, they'll do only AGR together. I don't think van Aert is scheduled to ride LBL. TJV will have a strong team for AGR with Vingegaard also.

Yes. They will do Amstel together, which should WvA a bit more with the shorter course. WvA will race Brabantse Pijl and then Amstel. Then he will take a race break until June.

Roglic will do all three Ardennes Classics with most of his Itzulia team. I think he has a great chance to win FW and LBL. He will for sure do well in both those races.

And then comes the most interesting part, which is a race break until Le Tour.

I have now in my head theme song from Road to Paris 2001. What a great athlete Primož is!! The first time I raced with him was in 2012, when he was amateur. Than in 2013 SLO NC and last time in 2019. For me, he was big champion already in 2012! He was destroying everyone, went on the bottom of the climb on the front and then he was just riding his tempo all the way, dropping everyone and setting new climbing records.
IMG_5001.jpg

This is Primož as amateur in 2012, riding solo to the top of Vršič (Highest Slovenian pass at 1611m). Fulcrum 5 all the way. At that time everyone had fancy carbon wheels, but Primož had just normal road bike for "beginners". Damn, I always loved it when I saw him on the start, because I knew everyone will be "super jealous" on him after race, haha. Sth like, how can he win with this wheels, and he even set the new climbing record?! Rogla prooving from 2012 on that cycling speed is in your legs and head. And not in your bike, and wheels etc.

And then, when in 2013 he went to continental team Adria Mobil, all of that time Elite licence riders in Slovenia were saying, eh. He is just "recreational" rider that will try, but don't worry, he will be dropped in the races, ASAP. But luckily they were deadly wrong.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Guess he was quite lucky that doing recon for the TdF is considered an important-enough reason, coz I think he might have been a little more than 10km away from his home. Though, to be sure, I don't know exactly where he lives. "Exactly" as in town, not precise address.

Pro athletes have dispensation, I believe. But imagine the scene: Grischa & Primoz get pulled over by the cops & they ask for their Attestation de Déplacement Dérogatoire (i.e. the official document people in France need to present to the authorities which justifies "why" they're traveling).

They'd have to scribble on a piece of paper "name: Primoz, reason for travel: plotting to smash the time trials in the Tour de France".

But in all seriousness even the mayor of Changé (Patrick Peniguel) tweeted about Primoz's recon ride yesterday, i.e. it's good publicity for his town (which is what they want in any case when they look to become a host town of a Tour stage). So it's all good. Also, another positive side-effect of the lockdown: fewer (or none whatsoever) cyclotouristes on a Sunday ride who'd possible notice the Jumbo Visma colors & actual identity of the rider on the road.

No groupies or screaming fangirls = better work conditions.

I think they should be 1a and 1b option, with 1a being Wout. If there is a situation, where they are both in the same chasing group late in the race, Primož should pull for Wout. But before that, he should be free to attack/follow moves of other contenders.

Tolhoek and Vingegaard make the race super hard. Roglič attacks on the hardest part to go solo. Other teams/riders have to chase. Wout sits in theit wheels waiting to sprint to victory if they catch Roglič.

TRENDING THREADS