• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can't help but find it funny they decided to put Gesink next to 2 Van Aert and Roglic. Feel like he shouldn't quite be up there with the other two...
Not surprised that a Dutch team would choose to put a Dutch rider from their probable TdF line up in the image. But Kruijswijk might feel a bit put out about who they think is their top Dutchman for the Tour.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not surprised that a Dutch team would choose to put a Dutch rider from their probable TdF line up in the image. But Kruijswijk might feel a bit put out about who they think is their top Dutchman for the Tour.

That recent photo is about the Tour de France special black JV jersey which the fans voted for, not the Tour team itself. Kruijswijk has been repeatedly climbing the Mont Ventoux in training over the past week or so whilst Gesink, Van Aert & Roglic were all in the Netherlands & Belgium together for the classics.

I don't think it needs to be overanalysed.

He's reply after the race was pretty funny - something along the lines of "at first it was too slow, then it was too fast!" :D

There was a meaning behind that phrase - Because the teams rode negatively with the tailwind to save themselves for the headwind finish, this resulted in riders being less fatigued when they launched attacks in the final which were stronger than in a mora attritional race.

I came across these information about riders bike weights. Do you think it's possible? Having almost 1kg heavier bike is a huge problem for mountain stages in a 3 week GT race.

Pogačar: Colnago V3RS: > 6.8kg

Alaphilippe: S Works Tarmac SL7:> 7.26kg

Roglič: Cervélo S5:> 7.6kg
Of course it’s possible. S5 is a heavy bike, probably even a bit heavier than 7.6 kg. That’s why Roglič only rides it on flat and mildly hilly stages. whenever there’s great deal of climbing involved he will use R5 instead, which is a lot lighter and of course less aero option...

I came across these information about riders bike weights. Do you think it's possible? Having almost 1kg heavier bike is a huge problem for mountain stages in a 3 week GT race.

Pogačar: Colnago V3RS: > 6.8kg

Alaphilippe: S Works Tarmac SL7:> 7.26kg

Roglič: Cervélo S5:> 7.6kg
That's bonkers, he doesn't use S5 on mountain stages.
He is already testing a new light bike
Almost all bikes used in the mountain stages are at the limit 6.8-7 kg.

Forget about the bike. The question still remained to be answered is will Roglič wear Lazer Volante on the penultimate stage or not!

Interesting, the article mentions Olympics as a goal for Primož, implying he'll compete also in OG ITT. Slovenia has only one spot for ITT so it will be between him and Tadej. I wonder if it's been decided already who rides. Probably not. I guess the TdF ITTs should decide who takes the spot. I think the first of the two should have more weight in the decision, because the second is on the last day and we know that by then more than actual TT ability counts how much energy one has left after 3 weeks of attrition.

Interesting, the article mentions Olympics as a goal for Primož, implying he'll compete also in OG ITT. Slovenia has only one spot for ITT so it will be between him and Tadej. I wonder if it's been decided already who rides. Probably not. I guess the TdF ITTs should decide who takes the spot. I think the first of the two should have more weight in the decision, because the second is on the last day and we know that by then more than actual TT ability counts how much energy one has left after 3 weeks of attrition.
That is something I am curious about too. They only have 1 spot. So who will do the TT?
And I think the parcours of the olympic TT maybe suits Tadej A tiny bit better.

maybe they will give primoz the tt spot and will ride all out for Tadej at the road race?

Think Roglic should get the Olympic TT spot. He got beaten badly in one mountain time trial that came at the end of a gt where at this point we know, his time trial skills are drastically worse. In a TT like the olympic one I'd still bet my money on Roglic over Pogacar and tbh it's not particularly close
But the olympic time trial will be quite hilly too, so maybe better suited for Tadej coming straight from the tour and how he recovers fast.
But whoever who gets the spot, it is a shame that they only can have one spot and one of the favorites will lose out. Slovenia is first on the uci country rankinf. Belgium gets 2 spots. Wonder why they only get 1

• Sad
But the olympic time trial will be quite hilly too, so maybe better suited for Tadej coming straight from the tour and how he recovers fast.
But whoever who gets the spot, it is a shame that they only can have one spot and one of the favorites will lose out. Slovenia is first on the uci country rankinf. Belgium gets 2 spots. Wonder why they only get 1
Correction: slovenia is third in the country ranking

Only 40 riders can do the ITT and there are quite some countries with better results than Slovenia in the WC's ITT the last couple of years. It's not that surprising.

Think Roglic should get the Olympic TT spot. He got beaten badly in one mountain time trial that came at the end of a gt where at this point we know, his time trial skills are drastically worse. In a TT like the olympic one I'd still bet my money on Roglic over Pogacar and tbh it's not particularly close
Poggers might turn out a better TTer, maybe during the Tour. But he shouldn't get that spot based on previous results.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
I mean, it's not like a hilly TT doesn't suit Roglic too.

Edit:
Poggers might turn out a better TTer, maybe during the Tour. But he shouldn't get that spot based on previous results.
I kinda agree. Pogacar might have drastically improved in that regard since last year. I think they should probably make the decision based on the first tour TT, if that's not too late. That TT should give us a pretty good picture of where the two stand.

TRENDING THREADS