• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'd agree and critics of Roglic's "conservative" attacking now suggest it was pure stupidity. It was the exact, perfect opportunity to do what he did and, but for a crash he fortunately overcame; would have been one of the definitive points in the Vuelta. As the current situation stands JV has a new team to work for them all week with Cofidis also in the wings.
Movistar were fortunate but they also gained a good gap on Ineos so they can relax somewhat and look for moments to attach Roglic. All in all it does simplify JV strategy.
Is it just me, or is Sepp Kuss seeming to be stronger further into this Vuelta? (Don't tell Libertine Seguros.)

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm here for the pain and the glory. Pogacar offers nothing of the former

Yeah, this is where I am to an extent. I'm not interested in a "who's the best?" debate.

I saw Lance Armstrong torpedo his own legacy because he was an *** on a bike who eliminated all uncertainty in his wins because he had a pathological issue with defeat (only once in 2003 he reached some heights overcoming adversity, otherwise, no). I saw Chris Froome win 4 Tours to a collective "shrug" because he was ugly on a bike & there was no romanticism (meanwhile that Giro stage with his attack which people might describe as "romanticism" was just way too far into something unworldly to truly make me like the guy). Pogacar meanwhile is still young & might "get there" with the pain & drama, but winning in a clinical manner again, again & again isn't how a bike rider wins hearts & minds (at least not mine).

I became interested in Roglic in 2017 in the Tour de France, I then became a fan of Roglic in 2018 when he cracked on the final TT & lost the podium spot to Froome. Since then it's been a rollercoaster of drama, excitement, glory, tragedy & emotions.

And to see Roglic smiling after the race with Sepp Kuss made it all worthwhile:

View: https://twitter.com/VelonCC/status/1430212949088604163

I'm now really looking forward to tomorrow.

The move sure was entertaining if not particularly smart. It would surely be a lot smarter if he did that on a MTF but in that case, it wouldn't really be a surprise attack, would it?

Besides, there's a deeper point a dominating rider makes when he does an unneccessary and very risky attack. It's as if he's trying to show his opposition that they better not even think about bullying him because he is prepared to put everything on the line if neccessary. Not to mention the PR benefits. I'm far from being a Froome fan but that descent from Peyresourde 2016 sure made me reconsider how I rate his qualities...

I guess the bottom line is - you don't become a cycling legend just by calculating and maximising your opportunities. It's that kind of stuff that will make us fans remember Primoz togehter with Nibali, Contador, Pantani with a smile on our face long after they have finished their careers... I realize Primoz has some work to do to be mentioned together with these names, but he is on his way I think..

Even attack was stupid with so much straight roads where group is much stronger (look how much Storer lost after descent on flat roads). He would be caught even without crash. He really surprised me with today riding, in negative way. I am really scratching my head what was he thinking.
Storer "lost" 10 seconds and knew he had the win in hand with no need to risk much further. What group would have caught Primoz? There were 3 guys chasing, more or less with Superman Lopez doing most of the work and losing time. Who among them could drag him back on the flats? Remember his attack several years ago with Froome, Dumolin and others trying to catch him? How did that turn out?
The crash was a risk of his pace. The move was totally worth it.

Between Roglstomping and crashing...are you not entertained?

He is a more reserved version of Mark Wahlberg of the cycling world. Primoz was asked to promote a product with the slogan, "Let's roglstomp the woooorld!" but he couldn't do it. "Just a few mountains will do," he humbly mumbled.

As it is, it's believed that the Slovenian is becoming quite a hero of flat earthers.

Reactions: Gregor_Slovenia
Storer "lost" 10 seconds and knew he had the win in hand with no need to risk much further. What group would have caught Primoz? There were 3 guys chasing, more or less with Superman Lopez doing most of the work and losing time. Who among them could drag him back on the flats? Remember his attack several years ago with Froome, Dumolin and others trying to catch him? How did that turn out?
The crash was a risk of his pace. The move was totally worth it.

Yeah, in my opinion Roglic would have had 30 secs over the Mas group at the finish if he hadn't crashed. He was already extending the lead on the descent (which we can see from the fact that he was able to crash, put his chain back on, get back up to speed and still be slightly ahead of the group). The Mas group was moving at the speed of the slowest descender, which was Mas; and Lopez isn't known as the best descender in the world. Then once the technical part is over, I'd bet on the Olympic ITT champion any day over Lopez with a few half-turns from Mas and Haig.

What a great and powerful win today, really exciting to watch. Bravo Roglic

E9qM9xqXEAgf4Gl

65918468.jpg

Q: Primož it seem you really enjoy racing La Vuelta. What is it that you like about Spain so much?
A: I like the holiday spirit. A lot of people, we ride along the beach and it's beautiful.

Primož saying he is on a holiday?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS