• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 162 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Speechless. Amazing ride, amazing rider. :eek:

E-NYz-iXEAwDoqw

Rides like these do make me a little sad that we couldn't watch him vs Pog in the Tour. I honestly don't think he could have won anyway, but he certainly would have made things so much more interesting.
It all depends on how he would've done on stage 7/8 (I forget).

From what I've seen I fancy his chances to gain time in the third week, and maybe even the first ITT.

It all depends on how he would've done on stage 7/8 (I forget).

From what I've seen I fancy his chances to gain time in the third week, and maybe even the first ITT.
Pogacar was just too imperious in the Alps for me to imagine that Roglic could have stayed with him. I know Pogacar has usually struggled to drop Roglic but then I have never seen a climbing performance as dominant as stage 8 (I think) before.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Pogacar was just too imperious in the Alps for me to imagine that Roglic could have stayed with him. I know Pogacar has usually struggled to drop Roglic but then I have never seen a climbing performance as dominant as stage 8 (I think) before.
Well the idea that Roglic might struggle in rain and that he'd finish in the main group that stage died violently. Although rain jackets.

At least it wouldn't have been over yet.

Probably we'd get Belgium going to war against the Netherlands when Van Aert is called back to wait on the Ventoux.

Pogačar has never dropped Roglič in a head to head battle. Ok, you can count Peyresourde, but that was more of a "non reacting to the attack, because he is pretty far behind in GC" kind of situation. Like today for example. If Rogla doesn't go with Bernal on the penultimate climb and if for different reasons Bernal stays away, we could have said the same...Bernal dropped Roglič.

Having said that, I don't believe Rogla would have been as strong as Pogačar on stage 8 of the Tour, but he would have been a lot more difficult to get rid of than Carapaz and maybe contain his gap to 30s. The Tour would have been still open at least.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Even though I was supporting Pog at the Tour it was clear to me that Rog's fall took a lot of excitiment away from the race. The most anticipated duel of the year was cancelled. It's impossible to guess what exactly would have happened otherwise (although I have some vision) but I'm rather confident that the gap between top2 guys wouldn't be 5+ minutes but 1-2 minutes at most.

I love the fact all 3 GT's this year are getting won by long range attacks.

Bernal went solo from 22km in the Giro with the winning move, so Pogacar goes "I'm going from 30km in the Grand-Bornand Tour stage". Bam, winning move again.

Meanwhile, with Roglic being Roglic things needed to get a little more extreme because why not, eh, so when Bernal decided to roll the dice today, Primoz went "hold my beer". Bam, 61km winning move.

All 3 in the rain as well. Epic.

Pantani at Les Deux Alpes in the 1998 Tour.

That's what I was sort of reminded of today. It was beautiful & yeah, it was totally career defining. It's that moment when a rider becomes truly legendary.

And the beauty of it all is the fact the seed was planted last Tuesday when he attacked long range & crashed. That gave everyone else a moment of pause when he did the same again today (because it looked crazy & even worse because it was raining).

But today he didn't crash & today the gap stuck. Well done Bernal as well for having the guts to blow the race apart like that. Primoz should send him one of his "no risk no glory" t-shirts from his online shop as a thank you.

Probably his most impressive career performance together with the Olympic time trial. Roglic is almost 32 now but seems better than ever so at this rate he might still have a few years to fight with Pogačar and others for Grand Tour wins.

Yeah, recently I was wondering how much success Roglic still has in store. His cycling age is obiouvly lower than other guys'. He's not going anywhere, 2-3 more years of absolute prime are likely. He can reach an ATG number of GT victories (5), maybe even more.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well the idea that Roglic might struggle in rain and that he'd finish in the main group that stage died violently. Although rain jackets.

I was almost in tears laughing when he has handed a rain jacket at the top of the climb behind Bernal & calmly dropped it on the road... before grabbing a newspaper & shoving it down his chest.

Roglic is a traditionalist & someone who learns from past disasters.

TRENDING THREADS