• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 166 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What i am almost sure is a leftover from ski jumping is great body flexibility and ability to maintaining low weight. This is more of an speculation but some explosive power workout is likely still involved. As for the rest he said on numerous occasions different muscles are involved hence the training is different. What is known is he has a high VO2 max and AFAIK that was his initial ticket to pro cycling. After being tested for what sport he should do next. If he would start riding his bike at 12 it's obvious. He would be the next Eddy Merckx. Now he is just Primož Roglič aka Rogla aka Romy. The one and only.

P.S. His first groupset was Campagnolo Chorus.

What i am almost sure is a leftover from ski jumping is great body flexibility and ability to maintaining low weight. This is more of an speculation but some explosive power workout is likely still involved. As for the rest he said on numerous occasions different muscles are involved hence the training is different. What is known is he has a high VO2 max and AFAIK that was his initial ticket to pro cycling. After being tested for what sport he should do next. If he would start riding his bike at 12 it's obvious. He would be the next Eddy Merckx. Now he is just Primož Roglič aka Rogla aka Romy. The one and only.

P.S. His first groupset was Campagnolo Chorus.
While his high VO2 max is likely a genetic gift; his attributes that made him a good skier could help him as a rider. Those would be balance, decent eyesight, aerodynamic positioning and a will to train hard enough to be exceptional. Aside from that there is not much from ski jumping that would carry over. He very likely did some Alpine skiing that would definitely benefit core strength and bike handling (you can laugh all you want) but obviously would not shortcut the needed strategic thinking or pack skills. He had to learn that quickly to be where he is.

His position would be an evolution of trying to be as physically balanced as possible to not tax himself and also something learned and refined. That could be why he spends much of his climbing seated; but muscles don't like that effort forever. As a contrast, Contador climbed out of the saddle much of the time and had different positions he'd use to spell the stress of that sort of power application. You'd see him push his pelvis forward and accelerate on very steep sections as a transition to seated climbing and settling into that rythm. Not many riders do that but it does help transitioning from standing up to a seated spin. I haven't noticed Roglic do that but he accelerates fairly forward out of the saddle in general, even in the drops so that might be his version of it. These are guesses but something is clearly working better. The TT could be proof of the 3 week effect.

Congrats Roglic on another La Vuelta richly deserved. What i love about him is his killer instinct he would of been well in his right to call it a day after the olympics this year and maybe do the Binkbank tour or Tour of Britain for the worlds ITT peak. But nope he decides to do La Vuelta. He should not of even raced another stage after his fall in the TDF he should of climbed off once he knew he did not have it but he kept on a few more days.

Reactions: topt
I would like to see the Vuelta to have a 5time champion on there honours list. I feel he could get another one next year. I reckon Pogacer will soon start doing 2GT's aswell he is so young though still so maybe they wait another year. Roglic is such a killer for wins he looks like he races like there is not long left. I imagine he thinks with his age he needs to strike now. I hope that the fact he started young he can contend for GT's till he is 35 atleast. 2018/2025 i reckon is doable.

People wont like the comparison but Froome was 26 when he contended his first GT and 27 when he was a force in the big one the TDF. Roglic as less miles on the bike than Froome when he started. Froome was basically 33 in his last year of contending and it was a catastrophic injury that stopped him he probably wins the TDF at 34 that Bernal won the level was not high and Froome is better than Geraint Thomas so he woulda beat Bernal. Then i think that isit in terms of Tour wins.

Roglic will surely have at least 3 more years after this one 3 years from now he will be 34 and 35 in a month. If Pogacer wins the TDF dominantly he should start to try racking up Giro/Vuelta doubles there is no shame in that, i would rather it as it would get his GT count up. Roglic has the ability to be a 6/7 time champion for sure he is so good.

Also maybe i am wrong but im sure Pogacer has not dropped Roglic mano o mano uphill yet. Where as i think Roglic has a few times. I know Pogacer went long on one of the stages last year and you would have to think with his level that day he woulda done it but who knows i remember on Loze Pogacer was dropping. The problem is Pogacer looked like he got even better the numbers he was pushing on the Colombiere stage was surely the best climbing performance since the Froome days. Oh man i cannot wait for Le Tour next year imagine Bernal gets his back good and takes another step in his level it will one of the best Tours in years.

Also maybe i am wrong but im sure Pogacer has not dropped Roglic mano o mano uphill yet. Where as i think Roglic has a few times. I know Pogacer went long on one of the stages last year and you would have to think with his level that day he woulda done it but who knows i remember on Loze Pogacer was dropping. The problem is Pogacer looked like he got even better the numbers he was pushing on the Colombiere stage was surely the best climbing performance since the Froome days. Oh man i cannot wait for Le Tour next year imagine Bernal gets his back good and takes another step in his level it will one of the best Tours in years.
PogacAr

Yes or no, does Olympic TT gold winning, vuelta walking Roglic beat this years Pog at TdF? For me yes, Pog showed weakness once, Roglic hasn't.
Roglič will show weakness tomorrow...ITT in the third week...everybody knows he doesn't recover well. He couldn't even win against Champoussin today.

On a more serious note...
Difficult to say. It would have been a great battle, that's for sure. Especially with a strong Vingegaard by his side.

Yes or no, does Olympic TT gold winning, vuelta walking Roglic beat this years Pog at TdF? For me yes, Pog showed weakness once, Roglic hasn't.
Would've been a better Tour. But it also doesn't really matter and I don't really wanna think about it.

If Roglic never wins the Tour I'll cheer when he wins something else and be sad about not winning when it happens.

In a way I'm just happy we got what we got this summer. I mean back at the end of June when he was all bandaged up & mummified... this current scenario seemed hopeful at best.

And we got the Lagos de Covadonga stage on Wednesday (pure epicness) & the whole "no risk no glory" meme. It's been a beautiful ride.

TRENDING THREADS