• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 183 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not sure If it's been discussed in this page, but how many of you consider Roglic as true cycling legend?
He is approaching legendary status, but he needs more big wins to become one. Another season like the last two, another GT win, another monument and he'll get there.

Who are the legends of the sport in todays peloton? I'd say Froome, Nibali, Valverde, Sagan and Cavendish right now.

He is approaching legendary status, but he needs more big wins to become one. Another season like the last two, another GT win, another monument and he'll get there.

Who are the legends of the sport in todays peloton? I'd say Froome, Nibali, Valverde, Sagan and Cavendish right now.
I forgot Gilbert. I was considering Masnada, too, but he needs another WT stage win or two to be considered a legend in my view.

Well, I don't think it's about history. It's a about achievements. If you win 3-monuments on a single year or Giro-Tour double, I'd consider you as a legend. Even if you don't do much for the rest of your career.
That said, for me Roglic is also work in progress. One more Monument and/or one more GT (even Vuelta as he'd be the joint record holder) would justify the legend status for me.

Pantani won very few races. I'm sure he's a legend.

I think the 2020 Tour alone will go down as legendary and the sequence of him being gracious in defeat and going on to win a monument and Vuelta in quick succession will be well remembered. Especially when coupled with the way he got his revenge in their next meeting in Itzulia.

Reactions: Sandisfan

I would venture that Pogacar might already be, even though it's his only 3rd season. The youngest rider to win 2 Tours, etc.

I would venture that Pogacar might already be, even though it's his only 3rd season. The youngest rider to win 2 Tours, etc.
Pogacar is an interesting case. Had he won 2 tours and a monument at, say, 28-30, he'd probably be considered as legend. Now that he won them at 22 (I say this and I lol at myself), if he doesn't win anything else big (nor that I believe or I wish though..), he'd probably be considered as a massive underachiever, what if... or something.

For true legend of the sport and to become truly immortal he "needs" to add:

• at least one more monument other than LBL (he can check that one on Saturday :D)
  • Giro GC
  • TDF GC
Bonus:
  • WC RR
Redemption wins:
  • Paris-Nice GC (how he lost already in the bag and 99% closed zipper but somehow lost the race this year)
  • Critérium du Dauphiné GC (he was head and shoulders above others and was winning 2020 edition, only to crashe because of mechanical, which might cost him also TDF win later)
One can only dream he will put them all in his palmares. But he is a man on his own path with his highs and lows. No matter what happens, he showed us time after time he is a true fighter.

1. Hardest crash of his career in stage 4 in Dauphine 2020, he gets back on bike and finish the stage (90% others would abandon).
  2. He looses TDF in we all know what way, but he doesn't cry and shy away. He needed 15s to compose himself and first thing he does is congratulate the winner. One week later he is fighting in Imola for his country and comes 6th. 2 weeks after defeat of his live, he wins LBL.
  3. Wins 4 stages in Paris-Nice and has GC in the bag. Crashes two times in the last stage, all the peloton is riding against him, he is alone, but he is going full gas (almost crashes again). Everyone knows he lost GC, he knows it, but he still pushed to the finish line. Again he gives himself 15s to compose and he is already congratulating the winner. After the race he doesn't whine and cry, but admit it was his fault and is already looking ahead. 2 weeks later he goes head2head with his biggest rival and wins Basque Country in spectacular fashion.
  4. His 2021 season is build around TDF and his ultimate goal. He wants it bad. Doesn't race for 2 months, only to be 100% prepared for it. He is looking good, fighting with his rival Pogacar, bam stage 3 he is bodychecked by another rider and crashes badly. But he is still there to fight even tho he knows his dream of winning is gone. His medical team needs 2 hours to prepare him each day so he can start. Half of his body is covered in bandages (he called himself a mummy), but he still fought and even comes top 10 in TT. But it was too much, he was out of the race. 3 weeks after he goes and wins gold in OG TT. 1 week before he didn't know if he could even go to Tokyo, after disappointing OG RR he was asking teammates if some of them will ride TT instead of him.
Just some recent events of his to show who he is. Some people don't like him, they say he rides defensively (because yes, you win 60 races by riding defensively, you know) and is boring with his answers to media. And they might be right. But no one, even the ultimate, most passionet haters, can't negate one thing about him, that he is a FIGHTER.

So will he become or is a legend? I don't know, but I know one thing. He won't go out without a fight.

Last edited:
Well, I don't think it's about history. It's a about achievements. If you win 3-monuments on a single year or Giro-Tour double, I'd consider you as a legend. Even if you don't do much for the rest of your career.
That said, for me Roglic is also work in progress. One more Monument and/or one more GT (even Vuelta as he'd be the joint record holder) would justify the legend status for me.

Of course it's about history. Legends are talked about and beloved 50 years after they retire. One must build a legacy that is worth being remembered and discussed for decades.
I'm 71 I've seen Champions come and go but very Few Legends......

I'd say riders that have gone by I've watched and that I'd consider legends would be

Tom Boonen
Fabian Cancellara
Alejandro Valverde
Alberto Contador
Vincenzo Nibali
Chris Froome
Philippe Gilbert
Peter Sagan
Mark Cavendish

And I would argue that from the early 2000s era Freire gets mad disrespect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
The first rider to complete the Ardennes treble isn't a legend?
A man who can still compete on a fairly high level at age 50 isn't a legend?
Classics rider with one monument? He's a meme, not a legend. I wouldn't rate him over a guy like Cunego.

Ardennes triple I think is just too niche for me to attach much added value to. It's like calling Roglic a legend if he wins Lombardia on Saturday for sweeping the hardest Italian fall classics.

I'd say riders that have gone by I've watched and that I'd consider legends would be

Tom Boonen
Fabian Cancellara
Alejandro Valverde
Alberto Contador
Vincenzo Nibali
Chris Froome
Philippe Gilbert
Peter Sagan

And I would argue that from the early 2000s era Freire gets mad disrespect.

Now this is getting a bit off topic, but why don't you consider Mark Cavendish as legend? Should easily be up there. Most TdF stage wins, monument and a WCRR should make the cut.

TRENDING THREADS