• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 221 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Today he looked very good. Responding to several attacks in first person. He was keeping high cadence and never looked like going full gas. He was also up there in the sprint.

The GC is still very short and obviously Saturday's stage is the decisive one. But tomorrow there will be no hidding. The finale suits him, he should try to take some seconds on the main rivals.
He makes plenty of mistakes in the sprints though, he should have won yesterday and been close the day before.

Perfectly positioned to launch his sprint, he hesitates and takes the wheel of Ulissi instead:
34J3MLP.png

They even rode through here between the two climbs, so the route should be fresh in his memory.

You've been spoilt with a rider always performing at 100%. It's fine to sometimes be a little tired or not in optimal shape. It means he's human. Tomorrow is another day.

I don't think it's wrong to feel a little melancholic though. FYI I felt this way after Formigal in the 2020 Vuelta as well (let's not even mention the Planche des Belles Filles).

He usually comes back & stomps, i.e. that's his style, so I'm hardly writing him off entirely. But considering Basque Country is an actual objective for TJV, right now it looks unlikely either Jonas or Rog ill win (& Jonas with his little accident at the end made matters worse).

Meh.

Reactions: Carols
Roglic’s facial expression on the final climb today was telling… I haven’t seen him this weak since 2017 I think. I don’t think he can do anything tomorrow and we can hope this is all part of his new approach to winning TDF finally.

However his form should be on the rise yet when comparing to P-N it seems to be declining which is really not a good sign…

I wonder if there is a reason for this as I've never seen him struggle like this in the Spring. Is it maybe a post Covid effect? Age catching up? Deliberately lower form to be better for TDF-Vuelta double?
I'm with Rackham in feeling depressed, was looking forward to this race, especially after that Wout's Covid positive in one of the worst moments...
And then I really hoped for him to win Fleche, but I can't see it happening with these legs...

I don't think it's wrong to feel a little melancholic though. FYI I felt this way after Formigal in the 2020 Vuelta as well (let's not even mention the Planche des Belles Filles).

He usually comes back & stomps, i.e. that's his style, so I'm hardly writing him off entirely. But considering Basque Country is an actual objective for TJV, right now it looks unlikely either Jonas or Rog ill win (& Jonas with his little accident at the end made matters worse).

Meh.
I would like to add that these performances that you mentioned were - even though he lost time to some favourites - not that bad after all. He was comfortably in top 10 I believe. Today I’m not sure where he finished but there must have been 20 riders that did better than him..

He is too nice for a rider who wants to have the palmares of a champion. He can't be happy when his teammate goes away and he stay stick to the peloton. Seriously, he is the leader and vingegaard needs to know his role in the team. Vingegaard is a backup,period!! After today, I'm pretty sure Pogacar will murder jumbo in the tour.

He is too nice for a rider who wants to have the palmares of a champion. He can't be happy when his teammate goes away and he stay stick to the peloton. Seriously, he is the leader and vingegaard needs to know his role in the team. Vingegaard is a backup,period!! After today, I'm pretty sure Pogacar will murder jumbo in the tour.
He clearly didn't have the legs today otherwise he would have finished way higher in the chasing group. No point in letting the co-leader lose a minute as well. If it took you until today to realise that Pogacar is going to destroy Jumbo in the Tour this year, that's on you.

And what were they supposed to do in your opinion? Put Jonas on the front of peloton to chase 5/6 strong guys ahead, and let's imagine he catches them which takes a lot of imagination, he'll lose time as he's empty now and Roglic will lose time with those legs too. Jonas' job was to mark moves and he did so, he f...ed up by crashing at the finish, and Roglic f...ed up by not following Remco attack or better say he couldn't... That's how Jumbo lost this race