• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 248 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Twitter reports an early morning interview with Primoz where he says he has lots of pain. I cannot access the video though.
"I'm really damaged, I have a lot of pain. I'm not here to cry but fight and do my best".

According to the Cyclingnews homepage, he said "every pedal stroke is like a knife in the back." I can't read or post the article because I don't subscribe. If that is at all true, damn, what a rider, and definitely shows the talk about him being past it was ridiculous.
Roglic is basically Nadal at this piont.

Always injured and hypothetically unbeatable if healthy
As I've said a few times before, he is now basically Contador 2012-2017.
Vingegaard continues his record of never having put time into Pogacar in the mountains. Meanwhile his injured (dislocated shoulder , hip and lower back pain) teammate, and apparent 2nd in command, finished a few seconds behind him.

One wonders what would have happened if the team put full support behind their strongest rider from stage 1
Vingegaard certainly is very good, so I think this is a bit harsh. But I would have put my money on Roglic and sent Vingegaard to the Giro, where he might have won. The Denmark start might have messed that plan up. Also, very strange that Christian Vande Velde kept saying Vingegaard is the only person who's ever dropped Pogacar on a climb. Roglic has done it multiple times. I don't think Pogacar has ever dropped a healthy Roglic on a climb. Of course, he did demolish him on that ITT, but that's a different story. Also, Pogacar absolutely destroyed Vingegaard without mercy in Tierreno-Adriatico, but for some reason he gets a pass there whereas Roglic, for not showing 100% strength in Paris-Nice, which he won, and the Dauphine, which he also won, has been written off. Strange.
With all the what ifs of healthy Roglic this and lucky Roglic that, he's becoming the new Landa.
He's the new 2012-2017 Contador, not the new Landa. Amazing form, lots of crashes, still wins a lot but can't stay healthy and put it together in the Tour.

Don't know how to feel watching this, both happy and sad for him.

His mental strength is admirable, and his stoicism definitely helps in situations like these. At least he is smiling

But it is difficult to see him so struggling to move, and almost 3 minutes down. Will probably only get worse

Seems like he truly does not give a f**k though. Nothing means anything, everything is just amusing. No risk, no glory.

Don't know how to feel watching this, both happy and sad for him.

His mental strength is admirable, and his stoicism definitely helps in situations like these. At least he is smiling

But it is difficult to see him so struggling to move, and almost 3 minutes down. Will probably only get worse

Seems like he truly does not give a f**k though. Nothing means anything, everything is just amusing. No risk, no glory.
"I'll do anything to not have to be a ski jumper again"

Even in pain, he smiles

FXKUIhhXgAc01Mk

Why would you want "pure commitment" to Primoz, how boring is that? Sacrifice multiple possible stage wins to come second after Pogacar? Perhaps if you can't win a GT without having an entire team hold your hand for 3 weeks you don't deserve to win it.

At the end of the day it's still up to Roglic himself to prove he can best Pogacar, you can have the best team in the world but if Pogacar attacks it's going to be his own legs that will have to do it.
You and I agree on the route to earning more team focus. The results of the last two days would seem to be credible performances that JV should support except (a BIG except) we don't know if Primoz will become less affected by his crash and get better. It seldom happens because the upcoming schedule will be brutal.

Sure it does. The record of Vuelta wins is four.

A Grand Tour win always matters. A lot.
Pretty much.

Right now he seems to have virtually 0% chance at winning the race but way too good to quit.

I don't really believe he'll compete against Pogacar in the Alps, even if he goes on an upwards trajectory. And that basically means that if Vingegaard attacks, and he 100% should, Roglic will lose a bunch of extra time.

I don't understand, though, how exactly Jumbo squandered Roglic's chances at winning the Tour over the last 4 years? In 2018-19 he was just not ready to beat Thomas-Bernal. In 2020 he got bettered on the last day by the greatest talent we have ever seen . Whereas last year he crashed badly and eventually pulled out, which wasn't Jumbo's fault, regardless of the fact that I agree with you they overextend themselves (like all this week with Wout and especially in this last stage - what was he doing? And what were they thinking?) to the point of hubris. In reality, however, Roglic had his chance in 2020, but alas failed to come through with the goods in spectacular fashion. And I respect the guy immensely

You have ever seen. I saw Merckx ride live. Tadej has a Long Way o go

You have ever seen. I saw Merckx ride live. Tadej has a Long Way o go
Based on the standards of then or today? Let's face it, Merckx's career is simply not possible in modern cycling. Even if only time will tell, if this kid keeps it up then Tadej must be considered even more prodigious. If only because to do what he is doing at his age today is p-h-e-n-o-m-e-n-o-m-e-n-a-l.

Pretty much.

Right now he seems to have virtually 0% chance at winning the race but way too good to quit.

I don't really believe he'll compete against Pogacar in the Alps, even if he goes on an upwards trajectory. And that basically means that if Vingegaard attacks, and he 100% should, Roglic will lose a bunch of extra time.

Considering the time he already lost he can't win by riding his usually style imo. He needs to attack early on one of the multi mountain stages and make UAE and Pogacar chase him (ideally Ineos have a rider with him to prevent them chasing). Make UAE burn themselves out and leave Vingegaard fight with Pog then. If he just does his usual ride to the last 2-3k on a MTF and attack, he might win a stage but he isn't gaining 3 minutes or so.

It would also be very entertaining racing for us if he did so I shall hope.

Don't really know what to say to be honest. He did great today and should be right up there with the best for the overall. Yet he is fighting for breadcrumbs. Far away. Different battle.

All that nonsense talk about his demise. That should be put to rest now. Some reconciliation in regards to that TDF 2020 TT finale. Beautiful. Even injured Rogla held strong today. No way would he let this hill beat him twice. True inspiration.

In numbers:

13P. ROGLIČJUMBO - VISMA4h 45' 59''+ 00h 02' 45''B : 4''

Pogi a light year ahead and Jonas someone he won't attack. Beyond that. A minute and a half from the podium. I guess this is doable in some ideal circumstances. Something worth fighting for. On top of that you never know. There is still a chance. And that is all he ever asked for.

Reactions: acm
Don't really know what to say to be honest. He did great today and should be right up there with the best for the overall. Yet he is fighting for breadcrumbs. Far away. Different battle.

All that nonsense talk about his demise. That should be put to rest now. Some reconciliation in regards to that TDF 2022 TT finale. Beautiful. Even injured Rogla held strong today. No way would he let this hill beat him twice. True inspiration.

In numbers:

13P. ROGLIČJUMBO - VISMA4h 45' 59''+ 00h 02' 45''B : 4''

Pogi a light year ahead and Jonas someone he won't attack. Beyond that. A minute and a half from the podium. I guess this is doable in some ideal circumstances. Something worth fighting for. On top of that you never know. There is still a chance.

Roglic has said he is in serious pain, so this is a great result given the situation.

For Jonas to win Roglic will need to attack pogi/Jonas. Jumbo can make pog cover multiple attacks and then perhaps crack him on a big hot mountain stage. They can dream anyway. Jonas is in a pretty good position given the first week.

Roglic is such a hard core rider, you can't help but cheer for him.

With a healthy trio i guess playing a numbers game where Pogi would be squeezed somewhere in between Vingegaard and Rogla would enable them to divide some seconds in between all three. With injured Rogla i fear that Pogi will only gain seconds and from Vingegaard perspective he would need to crack Pogi climbing. Likely Pogi on a bad day. From Rogla perspective he would need to do something that is uncommon for modern cycling.

With a healthy trio i guess playing a numbers game where Pogi would be squeezed somewhere in between Vingegaard and Rogla would enable them to divide some seconds in between all three. With injured Rogla i fear that Pogi will only gain seconds and from Vingegaard perspective he would need to crack Pogi climbing. Likely Pogi on a bad day. From Rogla perspective he would need to do something that is uncommon for modern cycling.

With the Covid situation still being a big factor in this race (Quick Step just lost a couple of their sporting directors for example), if there's any brains left upstairs in Jumbo's management (questionable) they'd first make sure Roglic gets back into podium contention pretty quickly. This hinges on continued improvement in his condition of course. But he needs to be given the freedom to ride his own race & get back towards the top. Stomping Thomas & the others as quickly as humanly possible.

When riders can be wiped out overnight by such a random "game over", Jumbo should never sacrifice one leader over the other in this TdF. Hence this makes their anti-Roglic choice(s) on Wednesday (their panic, basically) all the more frustrating.

And two pronged attacks will only work if Pogacar has reason to fear Roglic anyway, so the closer he is, the better for the team. At least in theory. For me, I'd be badly surprised (again) 'if' Jumbo dare give Roglic team orders to sacrifice himself merely days after they let Wout van Aert do whatever he wanted on Thursday.

TRENDING THREADS