• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 259 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Johan Bruyneel said on The Move that he suspects the team even last year felt Vingegaard was better than Roglic and they only didn’t announce he was the true leader out of respect for Roglic. Roglic so close and yet so far. 2019 they sent him to the wrong GT, 2020 they brought in Dumoulin as a potential threat and distraction and then Pogacar dropped an absolute nuke out of nowhere, 2021 he crashed and suddenly there’s this Danish nobody who, in 2022, it becomes clear is an absolute freakshow on a bike. How it’s possible that in all likelihood Roglic and Dumoulin will retire with zero Tours between them is beyond me.
heard JB say that as well. We never know but as i said earlier we have to enjoy these guys when they are at their peak since they are human and there are always new riders coming behind them. They may not win The Tour but they are great to watch....enjoy the ones that you like while you can.

heard JB say that as well. We never know but as i said earlier we have to enjoy these guys when they are at their peak since they are human and there are always new riders coming behind them. They may not win The Tour but they are great to watch....enjoy the ones that you like while you can.
cycling is a cruel sport....unforgiving...teams must look after themselves and it is not about our favorities..it is just the way it is.

Reactions: Carols
This talk about abandoning the race is just pure nonsense. Holy moly, how selfish can you be? Im sure that haven't even crossed his mind, especially after Jonas, a good friend, is in yellow. Some of you guys are absolutely insane.
What real value does he have staying in now? If he is injured he isn't doing himself any good and pog will not chase him now so all he is good for is a pull up the mountain - they have enough people for that and you aren't going to sky train pog off your wheel. Roglic has done his most important work by enabling the constant attacks that broke pogi . I reckon let him go home.

What real value does he have staying in now? If he is injured he isn't doing himself any good and pog will not chase him now so all he is good for is a pull up the mountain - they have enough people for that and you aren't going to sky train pog off your wheel. Roglic has done his most important work by enabling the constant attacks that broke pogi . I reckon let him go home.
Having said this rogla probably wants to keep going, quitting is not in his DNA - for better or for worse. He is one tough dude

Reactions: Carols
Johan Bruyneel said on The Move that he suspects the team even last year felt Vingegaard was better than Roglic and they only didn’t announce he was the true leader out of respect for Roglic. Roglic so close and yet so far. 2019 they sent him to the wrong GT, 2020 they brought in Dumoulin as a potential threat and distraction and then Pogacar dropped an absolute nuke out of nowhere, 2021 he crashed and suddenly there’s this Danish nobody who, in 2022, it becomes clear is an absolute freakshow on a bike. How it’s possible that in all likelihood Roglic and Dumoulin will retire with zero Tours between them is beyond me.
Then he wouldn't have waited on stage 3 and lost time 'on purpose'.

He won't/can't quit unless he's really suffering. This is a guy who puts back his own dislocated shoulder and keeps riding.

That said, what's next? He's probably not going to win the tour with JV, although I'd say "probably" -- if things (finally!) go his way next year and Jonas/Bernal/Pog run into difficulty, he can definitely win. In fact I think he might be better than Bernal.

I'd say he should again be co-leader in 2023. We saw that J-V needed every man on deck yesterday and on Granon just to put Pogi into the red.

He won't/can't quit unless he's really suffering. This is a guy who puts back his own dislocated shoulder and keeps riding.

That said, what's next? He's probably not going to win the tour with JV, although I'd say "probably" -- if things (finally!) go his way next year and Jonas/Bernal/Pog run into difficulty, he can definitely win. In fact I think he might be better than Bernal.

I'd say he should again be co-leader in 2023. We saw that J-V needed every man on deck yesterday and on Granon just to put Pogi into the red.

He is better than Bernal (at least under normal circumstances). He's always beaten him.

With regards to the TdF, Vingegaard will enter into a different category of rider when he wins this race & unfortunately, Roglic will face an uphill struggle to matter again in this race in his own team. This is very predictable.

Once more he'll go to the Vuelta 2022 with everything to prove all over again, i.e. with a full TdF in his legs & another injury. Not good eh.

Roglic is probably riding in energy saving/don't give a *** mode on the stage like today, but being caught in a split is still not a good sign

Eurosport mentioned a possible motivational issue for Roglic as well. Vingegaard's super strength is probably also demotivating in the sense Roglic could feel he's no longer even needed. It's not like Jumbo are facing a desperate fight & desperately need him. Vinge has this well & truly covered, based on his performances.

Anyway the peloton is currently riding quite hard behind the break so we'll see whether the cat 2 climb coming up sends him out the back.

Reactions: Sandisfan
We never know but as i said earlier we have to enjoy these guys when they are at their peak since they are human and there are always new riders coming behind them. They may not win The Tour but they are great to watch....enjoy the ones that you like while you can.

This! I've spent 6 decades following this sport. My favorites have come, some Ruled the Stage for a while, others not so much and departed. It is the way of sports. ENJOY them while you have them. I know from experience another one will always come along that steals your heart. Roglic will Always have a place in my heart even if he never wins a Tour! He is Special and always will be to me.

Today he is dropped in a cat3 :confused: He and Vingo drained Pogi using the old one, two on him over and over. Now he's Not someone Pogi will react to so is only useful doming. But he is a TEAM PLAYER! He'll ride as long as he can. And he Deserves to be there for the Team celebration in Paris if Vingo does indeed do it as he sacrificed himself to help make it happen.
Personally, I'd rather see hm go home and heal but he's not a Dumolin or Superbaby Lopez. He'll ride on until his body forces him to stop and that makes him an unselfish hero in my book!

Likely Primož is OK to win this years Tour edition or to be a part of the winning team.

Now on why they couldn't send him home. Injured. Is due to they having no chance in winning this Tour edition without him. Both Primož and the team knew that. Without Primož stage 11 would be just a wild dream. They likely still fear that if they send him home now they will pay the price latter on.

As for future races. Primož, try to be more selfish. When another youngster comes. I want to be a Tour champion. Or when the team ask you to make the ultimate sacrifice. Just say my pleasure.

Just stomp on it.

He will figure it out. Pogi was said to be unbeatable and Rogla achieved what he was after on stage 11.

Next year. When you are left alone back in the bunch. On some crucial stage. Just press on brakes. Let the team come for you and to bring you at front again. Problem solved. It's their problem not yours.

TRENDING THREADS