• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 321 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I’ve been thinking about that—how in the more recent past too, riders like Armstrong and Froome expected to be given space in congested fighting for position. However, even if Roglic had that expectation you can’t expect it to hold true with a group of sprinters approaching the line in the final meters. It’s like”their house, their rules” whether written or unwritten.
Didn’t Sky and Froome regularly complain though that they weren’t given respect and space?

I thought that was obvious since he was coming off the front dropping back in the group. He was going backwards relative to everyone else.
Indeed he was, but then actally surged ahead veering towards Wright who was already passing him. Any contact would only have ended badly for Rog. Contesting any sprint can only be done whilst gaining momentum. In Roglic's case it was exactly the opposite.

Last edited:
I wasn't paying much attention to analysing this crash but this discussion made me look up some useful video and I found this

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEi7xFY0Qw

This video in my opinion clearly shows that at the beginning, while Roglic was still in front of Wright, he moved to the right and aligned his direction with the line on the road. After that he keeps riding on that line while Wright passes him on his right. Suddenly, Roglic crashes without any apparent clipping of wheels or something. It really looks like some kind of contact with Wright who was passing him, whereas Roglic did not do anything out of ordinary while sprinting, following his line.

So based on this footage I am inclined to agree with his view that Wright made him crash by dangerously sprinting around him. Is there any better footage of the crash?

I wasn't paying much attention to analysing this crash but this discussion made me look up some useful video and I found this

This video in my opinion clearly shows that at the beginning, while Roglic was still in front of Wright, he moved to the right and aligned his direction with the line on the road. After that he keeps riding on that line while Wright passes him on his right. Suddenly, Roglic crashes without any apparent clipping of wheels or something. It really looks like some kind of contact with Wright who was passing him, whereas Roglic did not do anything out of ordinary while sprinting, following his line.

So based on this footage I am inclined to agree with his view that Wright made him crash by dangerously sprinting around him. Is there any better footage of the crash?
Roglic clearly starts deviating from that line and ends up in Wright's path. Wright was just following the barrier and had nowhere else to go.

A thumb's up for the footage. -- Still hard to say one rider was at fault. Depending on allegiances, different viewers may come to different conclusions.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This statement changes things for me. Roglic was naturally a lot closer to the incident than any of us and since the footage is inconclusive, then I am going to trust him with that. If he was indeed pushed from behind then I see no reason why his statement would be a disgrace..

Btw all you guys mocking him for supposed head injuries are seriously out of line here!
How is the footage inconclusive? Four riders in a line, another rider comes barging in from the side, bumps into one of the line, and goes down.

Last edited:
this is complete BS. you mean the group of sprinters that were only off the front because they wheelsucked him for 2.5k?
All the more reason to stay away from a sprint he was obviously not going to win

(Not gonna lie, it's super weird how many of your arguments boil down to "Roglič is a better cyclist and therefore he's right". It's very childish)

honestly its almost as if Jumbo are throwing him under the bus so they can dedicate more resources to Wout and let Primoz quietly leave or give him less support

It's most likely the reverse, i.e. if Jumbo didn't back him here (& didn't defend him), Rog would quit the team. It's not like other pro-teams will care about this (does anyone even like Bahrain Victorious?). They'd sign him in a heartbeat for the guaranteed UCI points.

I also don't think he has a problem sharing leadership at Jumbo, working for others or doing anything the team wants but I do think he has a massive issue with a lack of protection on the road. It's when all those months of preparation go down the drain. That's what p*sses him off.

Just like Remco and the flat tire, this seems like the viral photo of the dress that some saw as black and blue and some as gold and white.

As a Roglic fan, I am disappointed for him and think he should have taken an “accidents happen and I was too in the red to be fully aware of what was happening” approach to this, as others have said. This doesn’t look good.

However, I can see how he came to his assessment. He shouldn’t have been where he was, as he should have dropped to the back, but Wright does in fact ride from behind and when he naturally tilts a little left, Roglic hits him.

The freeze frame video starts too late and everything looks clear in slow motion. But the larger video shows that he was holding a line when he fell. I agree he shouldn’t have taken that position in the context of what was happening, but I can also see where he’s coming from. He was riding a line, and then Fred Wright went past him and he fell. I wish he acknowledged that he shouldn’t have been there. But also, this:
I thought that was obvious since he was coming off the front dropping back in the group. He was going backwards relative to everyone else.
Is literally a different way of saying “Wright came from behind. You do see that right? They were both moving forward very quickly, so just because others ahead were moving faster doesn’t negate the fact that Wright technically came from behind.

Regardless, I think he clearly forgot about Wright or never even knew he was there. And I like Red Rick mostly hopes this passes quickly and neither Roglic nor Wright are chased by this.

IMO, the over-the-top condemnation is way out of line. Not the best look for Roglic, agreed, but the last video to me doesn’t make Roglic correct, but does make his perspective more understandable. Especially given what this year has netted him, which is nothing in terms of his targets. It doesn’t go without notice that heavy handed judge, jury, and executioners are big Remco fans.

Last edited:
The reaction to this news depends on the country & media platform.

The article on the French L'Equipe for example has a more favorable user reaction towards Rog's point of view. It's a big world out there & neither Twitter (nor this site) hold the universal 'truth' on this matter.

I think the very fact it's almost impossible to have a conversation about this says a lot as well. People are entrenched in their positions & Roglič is a polarizing rider.

I myself didn't understand what caused the crash & didn't venture forwards an opinion. Why? Because the footage was inconclusive. But considering Rog never says anything or publicly complains, I reckon this one is where he draws a line & has his reasons. I also think Jumbo have decided to back him as well.

He shared the story on his Insta. Jumbo's post was liked by Rohan Dennis & Grischa Niermann. This is real & they mean what they say.
Hey man I'm not 100% sure who caused this crash so I'm not going to be that mean to you.

But I feel like if Roglic gave a statement tomorrow claiming that the earth is flat, you would rush to his defence, because he is Lord Roglic and he can do no wrong in your eyes

if you come off from the head of the race... everyone is coming from behind you.
the discussion isn't about who goes faster at what position when riding in a single line, it is that roglic came from the other side of the road at a lower pace because he dropped back but wanted to go between two riders while riding a lower pace.

Thats like 5 cars on a highway riding bumper to bumper and you wanting to get in between the last and second to last car to benifit from the drag advantage while everything is empty for 13 seconds behind the last car.

Its a terrible judgment call, but ton top of that to say it is the fault of the 5th car who doesn't let you in, or doesn't avoid you?

Last edited:
I think it's psychologically understandable from Roglic to blame Wright, but even if that's what he thinks he should be a lot more careful to put out such a statement afterwards. He should be aware that many people follow his argumentation and blame another "lesser" rider now, while at best I would like to steal an assessment that my avatar rider often uses: It's bike racing, it happens.
It really smells of conceit and one would expect better from him.

I find it tragically funny how this man has been the incarnation of sports Zen throughout many accidents that could have been rightfully blamed on others, and flips out on the one occasion where almost everyone agrees he's the one at fault.

Regardless, isn't it a bit excessive to claim to have lost all respect for him because of one statement, however silly? He may still come around once the road rash stings less.

IMO, the over-the-top condemnation is way out of line. Not the best light, but the last video to me doesn’t make Roglic correct, but does make his perspective more understandable.

It would have been OK if he would have treated this as an unfortunate accident but this is out of line, that's why people are reacting. He is accusing another rider of causing him to crash, which, however you look at those images, is simply not true.

"The crash was not caused by a bad road or a lack of safety but by a rider's behaviour. I don't have eyes on my back. Otherwise, I would have run wide. Wright came from behind and rode the handlebars out of my hands before I knew it."

It's most likely the reverse, i.e. if Jumbo didn't back him here (& didn't defend him), Rog would quit the team. It's not like other pro-teams will care about this (does anyone even like Bahrain Victorious?). They'd sign him in a heartbeat for the guaranteed UCI

Couple that with his his doctor calling out Jumbo over the injuries from the Tour and you might be right that not all is happy in Jumboland.

Just like Remco and the flat tire, this seems like the viral photo of the dress that some saw as black and blue and some as gold and white.

As a Roglic fan, I am disappointed for him and think he should have taken an “accidents happen and I was too in the red to be fully aware of what was happening” approach to this, as others have said. This doesn’t look good.

However, I can see how he came to his assessment. He shouldn’t have been where he was, as he should have dropped to the back, but Wright does in fact ride from behind and when he naturally tilts a little left, Roglic hits him.

The freeze frame video starts too late and everything looks clear in slow motion. But the larger video shows that he was holding a line when he fell. I agree he shouldn’t have taken that position in the context of what was happening, but I can also see where he’s coming from. He was riding a line, and then Fred Wright went past him and he fell. I wish he acknowledged that he shouldn’t have been there. But also, this:

Is literally a different way of saying “Wright came from behind. You do see that right? They were both moving forward very quickly, so just because others ahead were moving faster doesn’t negate the fact that Wright technically came from behind.

Regardless, I think he clearly forgot about Wright or never even knew he was there. And I like Red Rick mostly hopes this passes quickly and neither Roglic nor Wright are chased by this.

IMO, the over-the-top condemnation is way out of line. Not the best look for Roglic, agreed, but the last video to me doesn’t make Roglic correct, but does make his perspective more understandable. Especially given what this year has netted him, which is nothing in terms of his targets. It doesn’t go without notice that heavy handed judge, jury, and executioners are big Remco fans.

I agree.
And had it taken a couple of more days or weeks Rogla might have understood it was actually his own fault. Hence Jumbo publishing it now is the really dumb move.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
All the more reason to stay away from a sprint he was obviously not going to win

(Not gonna lie, it's super weird how many of your arguments boil down to "Roglič is a better cyclist and therefore he's right". It's very childish)

Wright wasn't going to win either and his existence ruined the whole GC race. the post i quoted was talking as if Roglic was participating in a full bunch sprint when the fact is that he was the only reason that group got off the front in the first place.