• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 350 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You should compare grand tour data between the two. Look at his performance at alto de acebo 2019, and compare with pico jano. Almost the same time effort, with acebo's stage being more difficult. In terms of climbs above 20 min effort, remco don't overcome roglic.

They are missing some performances from roglic on a 9/10, 12 minutes effort.

Mende tour 2018 7.25 w/kg in 9 min and 07 seconds.

Ermualde, tour pays basque 2021 7.1 w/kg in a 10 min effort.

Talking about TT between roglic and remco, i saw that roglic beat this year remco on tour pays basque ITT @Logic-is-your-friend .

Reactions: acm
We are always discussing how many seconds Rogla will lose on Remco in iTT and if he will be in shape. But we never see that the other riders can also be out of shape and show some weaknesses.
The route suits the strengths of Rogla, Jonas is doing the tour. So for me its the right call and im excited to see the clash of some titans at the giro.

Do you think Logic-is-your-friend is bad? Wait for Extinction, big doopie or houtdffan that says remco can gain 10 min on pogacar in a 100 km TT :)

nice one. I see what you did there.

lumping extinction and myself (two of the more reserved/reasoned fans) with houtdffan who says Remco would take 10 mins…etc. (nothing against houtdffan’s exuberance!).

I challenge u to quote either Extinction or myself as ever saying something even close to that.

Last edited:
Foss is a even bit of a question mark, given his mediocre 2022 Giro. He has obviously stepped up since then (mainly in ITTs...), but would have never been preselected for the 2023 Tour. At least not right now. BTW... I'm not at all suggesting that he is a bad choice. Just not 100% convinced that his climbing is consistent enough at this point.

Kelderman and Foss also didn't seem to like that they would be riding in support.
According to Zeeman, almost everyone is on board. I think Foss is not. He looks to be on his way out, given his recent media statements. Wants to be a GC guy really bad.
Foss been very talkative in Norwegian Cycling Podcasts the last 6 months.

The weak Giro wasn’t a surprise to him or the team. He had big heath problems in the weeks before the giro where he ended up gaining a lot of weight, some kind of issue were the body not getting rid of the water. So he did the Giro 3-4 kilos overweight.

Foss has also the last few weeks talked with media and podcasts where he’s said he don’t want to ride for GC in a Grand Tour this year. That the last three seasons his big goal has been the Giro and that he has probably lost something in the development as a rider trying to aim for Giro GC and being too narrow-minded about that goal.

The upcoming season he has said he want to ride for himself in shorter stage races with ITT and then be a useful helper in one GT (giro/tour doesn’t seem to matter).

I think that if he gets selected to the Giro he will very much be on board.

Likely nobody was forced into anything and hence Foss likely doesn't have a big issue in going to the Giro. Becoming WC ITT champion likely was a nice boost for morale. That is experiencing results. And who was his arch rival at WC? And who will he ride against at Giro?

Motivation should be there.

Reactions: Sandisfan
@Lequack

With JV you never know. Considering Roglič is the sole leader at Giro 2023 and the objective is rather clear. And hypothetically if a (bunch) crash would to occur. I don't see on why his team members wouldn't be there. But as said it's hard to tell with JV. They are perfectly capable of doing other things. Like taking the piss.

We'll see.

Reactions: acm
Remco is a beast but Logic is underrating Primoz so badly in climbing TT skills based only on Plache de Belles Filles and Slovenian national from 2020 (where Roglic almost beat beat Pog riding the climb with the TT bike wich was a big mistake). Precisely, Primoz is knomw for his ability of pacing himself in hard TTs, he normallys never go full on the flats and then he flies in the climbing part. Example of this is Bergen 2017 when was the fastest in Mount Floyen, First TT of 2019 Giro where he also put the hammer down on San Luca, the second one in San Marino also was another example of Roglic killing even more the field in the last climb after a godd flat part. Then in The Vuelta you have also the Ezaro TT with Primoz doing the difference only there. In 2018 Romadie in Ollon sur Villars pure W/kg fests over 25 minute he started too slow but almost make the comeback in the last part on Egan (in one of the most explosive climbing version of the colombian ever in my opinion) with both doing around 6.7 w/kg at least if i remember correctly, and Roglic has improved a lot in climbing since them.
Then of course you have the Tokyo TT where he was crazy faster than anyone in the second lap climbs. Even we have mini exmaples of this capacity of Roglic in shorts time trials like the Basque Country one where he always delivers a super sonic last hill like in 2021 or 2022 winning there the TTs (but that were only little hills of course).

Monte Lussari is just a different beast in a TT, but also for Remco, so we wil see...

Remco is a beast but Logic is underrating Primoz so badly in climbing TT skills based only on Plache de Belles Filles and Slovenian national from 2020 (where Roglic almost beat beat Pog riding the climb with the TT bike wich was a big mistake). Precisely, Primoz is knomw for his ability of pacing himself in hard TTs, he normallys never go full on the flats and then he flies in the climbing part. Example of this is Bergen 2017 when was the fastest in Mount Floyen, First TT of 2019 Giro where he also put the hammer down on San Luca, the second one in San Marino also was another example of Roglic killing even more the field in the last climb after a godd flat part. Then in The Vuelta you have also the Ezaro TT with Primoz doing the difference only there. In 2018 Romadie in Ollon sur Villars pure W/kg fests over 25 minute he started too slow but almost make the comeback in the last part on Egan (in one of the most explosive climbing version of the colombian ever in my opinion) with both doing around 6.7 w/kg at least if i remember correctly, and Roglic has improved a lot in climbing since them.
Then of course you have the Tokyo TT where he was crazy faster than anyone in the second lap climbs. Even we have mini exmaples of this capacity of Roglic in shorts time trials like the Basque Country one where he always delivers a super sonic last hill like in 2021 or 2022 winning there the TTs (but that were only little hills of course).

Monte Lussari is just a different beast in a TT, but also for Remco, so we wil see...
You mean the Giro "mountain" TT where he only beat superclimber Campenaerts by 11s because Campenaerts had a flat and got pushed off his bike by his own mechanic? Yeah, completely different ballgame. Now he won't be facing Campenaerts, Yates and Mollema though and the climb won't be 4% but 12%. So basically that's where your logical conclusion goes off the rails. Evenepoel simply pushes bigger numbers in relation to his cda as well as in relation to his weight. This has nothing to do with underrating Roglic, it's just about looking at the numbers. That is why i said, if both reach day 20 in good form/health, we already know the outcome. This has nothing to do (as i already said) with a 200k mountain stage with 3 HC climbs over 2000 meters. For that we don't know how Evenepoel would stack up. But here we're talking about a TT that will come down to how many watts you can output in 40 minutes.

TRENDING THREADS