• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 356 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
325806644-1319086438662202-5187489137907913408-n.jpg

Good thing he's not in Aussieland getting crashed out like Gesink.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's a shame Gesink got injured indeed. So early in the season. That probably comes down to Rogla being short of a great dom at Giro. Hopefully Gesink to be ready and motivated for Vuelta. Where such qualities will again be much needed.

As for Roglič crashing. It can happen as pro road cycling is a crash marred sport. But on the other hand Roglič doesn't crash a lot anymore. Hence i don't worry about this aspect all that much anymore. In regards to Roglič. He should in my opinion do just fine in 2023 and beyond.

His bike handling skills are now great. As for outside influence. I feel that that was settled in 2022 season.

Reactions: Sandisfan and acm
It's a shame Gesink got injured indeed. So early in the season. That probably comes down to Rogla being short of a great dom at Giro. Hopefully Gesink to be ready and motivated for Vuelta. Where such qualities will again be much needed.

As for Roglič crashing. It can happen as pro road cycling is a crash marred sport. But on the other hand Roglič doesn't crash a lot anymore. Hence i don't worry about this aspect all that much anymore. In regards to Roglič. He should in my opinion do just fine in 2023 and beyond.

His bike handling skills are now great. As for outside influence. I feel that that was settled in 2022 season.
His bike handling skills are so great that in his last race he managed to crash himself out in a group of 5 on wide roads.

Reactions: red_flanders
His bike handling skills are so great that in his last race he managed to crash himself out in a group of 5 on wide roads.
No he didn't that was Fred Wright!!!

He doesn't crash a lot anymore because he isn't racing. Last summer he crash left, right and centre.

• Haha
Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
@Bonimenier

A knee in the handlebar from the rider coming from behind. Happening at high speed. That should consistently crash any rider. Unless ridiculous amount of luck is involved.

@Ilmaestro99

That "no risk no glory" ride was his own doing. But in the end it was harmless. And at PN there was likely a bit of nerves involved. I am finally breaking the spell ... For the record he rectified that in 2022 season.

Opi & Omi, Colbrelli, haybale, Wright ... this were much more severe crashes and all of them were assisted. Here bike handling skills don't play that much role.

At Tour 2022 riders such as Pogi, van Aert ... all hit the tarmac. Nobody hitting their handlebars, body or throwing a haybale in front of them.

Point being Roglič having bad bike handling skills. On cobbles? That is just a meme. And as Matthews said today. Most of such accidents happen due to lack of respect inside the peloton. On top of that organizers and governing bodies don't want to do anything at all. To reduce the bunch. This is hence something riders need to sort out by themselves. But obviusly nobody will help them do that. As the general public more or less likes to see them crash. Remco winning his first GT. Last year's snow. Rogla vs Wright. Ten years from now still being discussed.

As far as Roglič is concerned. He did just that in 2022 season. He fixed the peloton for himself. Hence i don't expect this to be a real issue anymore. For Rogla going forward. Boundaries were set and i am sure that in a similar situation going forward. Brakes will be used instead.

So a sudden spur of most excellent bike handling skills is to be expected in 2023 season. Maybe even to attempt a wheelie. To add to the ever growing list of personal achievements. We'll see.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and acm
It doesn't even matter whether its his bike handling skills, positioning in the peloton, reputation in the peloton, too much risk taking or pure bad luck. The fact is he crashed in the last 3 out of 4 GTs to the point he could not finish while he finished his first 7 out of 7. That's a clear negative trend. It's going to be really hard to convince anyone he's really solved anything regarding this matter. All we fans can do is hope for a better 2023...

Opi & Omi, Colbrelli, haybale, Wright ... this were much more severe crashes and all of them were assisted. Here bike handling skills don't play that much role.

You know, it doesn't matter how many times you repeat it, doesn't make it true. The vast majority of people agree that Wright wasn't at fault for that crash...
As for the "Colbrelli crash"; I will at most believe that there might have been some contact between them - like what happens in a peloton from time to time - not that Colbrelli deliberately made Roglic crash.

You know, it doesn't matter how many times you repeat it, doesn't make it true.
He doesn’t;)
The vast majority of people agree that Wright wasn't at fault for that crash...
As for the "Colbrelli crash"; I will at most believe that there might have been some contact between them - like what happens in a peloton from time to time - not that Colbrelli deliberately made Roglic crash.
You are right about Wright, but your opinion on Colbrelli is based on zero facts. Just because it was Rogla’s fault in Wright case, doesn’t make Colbrelli any less (or more) ”guilty”…

You know, it doesn't matter how many times you repeat it, doesn't make it true. The vast majority of people agree that Wright wasn't at fault for that crash...
Does it matter what the vast majority of people think? We're all working on the same info, which isn't much. Blaming a popular young British guy so openly was a PR disaster, so you could say that Roglic must have been pretty convinced at least.

Reactions: Carols
You are right about Wright, but your opinion on Colbrelli is based on zero facts. Just because it was Rogla’s fault in Wright case, doesn’t make Colbrelli any less (or more) ”guilty”…

I just generally feel like there are very few riders - if any - who would deliberately make another crash like that, for no apparent reason. And no, I'm not buying the "All Bahrain riders are out to get Roglic because he once pipped Mäder in the last few metres in a Paris-Nice stage!" talk. Come on...

So for me it's just a matter of "What seems more likely?"
A: That Colbrelli deliberately made Roglic crash.
B: That it was simply a touch of wheels.

Seems pretty obvious to me. And also, "innocent until proven guilty", and all that; since we have no way of proving Colbrelli guilty, let's just assume he's innocent in the matter.

Does it matter what the vast majority of people think? We're all working on the same info, which isn't much.

That's not entirely true. There were people who were right there who agree it wasn't Wright's fault.

I just generally feel like there are very few riders - if any - who would deliberately make another crash like that, for no apparent reason. And no, I'm not buying the "All Bahrain riders are out to get Roglic because he once pipped Mäder in the last few metres in a Paris-Nice stage!" talk. Come on...

Seems pretty obvious to me. And also, "innocent until proven guilty", and all that; since we have no way of proving Colbrelli guilty, let's just assume he's innocent in the matter.
These are the two options? There's a lot of gray area in between. Nobody wants to make another rider crash (or if they do, they're insane). But that doesn't mean that they always act responsibly or without fault.

That's not entirely true. There were people who were right there who agree it wasn't Wright's fault.

Where do you stand on the Theo Bos-Daryl Impey incident?

• Wow

There are different levels of deliberate. It may not have been intention to crash him out. That was just the result. I also don’t think it was anyone‘s intention to crash the other guy but “touch of wheels” doesn’t mean noone is at fault. Rogla vs Wright was a touch of wheels also and it was Rogla’s fault…

These are the two options? There's a lot of gray area in between. Nobody wants to make another rider crash (or if they do, they're insane). But that doesn't mean that they always act responsibly or without fault.

That still doesn't change the "innocent until proven guilty" part.

Where do you stand on the Theo Bos-Daryl Impey incident?

I think the evidence is pretty clear on that one.

Reactions: tobydawq
@RedheadDane

My point in that context was both of the crashes you mentioned were assisted. What one chose to believe doesn't really change that fact. As for the majority. In this specific case majority couldn't have care less. For majority it's a nuisance to even discuss this. As they are right. Knee in the handlebar or not. Who cares.

P.S. Well, minority.

Just don't do it again. And the pesky minority will go along. If other cyclists in the peloton are OK with it. With offered crash assistance in the bunch. Fine. When it comes to Rogla. I feel he made it perfectly clear. He does not need or want that. No. This should be settled. Hence lets focus on improving the stats in 2023 season. As in last 3 GT's Rogla participated in. He won only one. This is way below average for a caliber as Rogla is. So lets now rather focus on that instead. To improve such stats.

Does it matter what the vast majority of people think? We're all working on the same info, which isn't much. Blaming a popular young British guy so openly was a PR disaster, so you could say that Roglic must have been pretty convinced at least.
Not much info? Multiple video angles in slow motion? We have plenty of info and the fault is obvious. The only people questioning the obvious are people letting their fandom for Roglič blind them to what their eyes are showing them, Or they’ve never raced a bike. Or both.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Not much info? Multiple video angles in slow motion? We have plenty of info and the fault is obvious. The only people questioning the obvious are people letting their fandom for Roglič blind them to what their eyes are showing them, Or they’ve never raced a bike. Or both.

I think it's Van Aert's fault. If he wasn't so selfish, he would have ridden the Vuelta to assist and protect Roglic from such assaults.

TRENDING THREADS