• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 382 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We're being spoiled now.

But it's also a demonstration of his force IMO. That gradient was not the usual sort of finish for a Roglstomp but the stomp still happened versus such a large group.

Good times right now & it looks like he's enjoying himself.

Interrupts interview mid-sentence just to say "hey man" to some UAE rider who isn't even paying attention to him

I bet that was George Bennett, aka ex Jumbo teammate of course.

We're being spoiled now.

But it's also a demonstration of his force IMO. That gradient was not the usual sort of finish for a Roglstomp but the stomp still happened versus such a large group.

There are "ifs and buts" on another forum about rider positioning and the good fortune of Roglic's leadout being the main reason for the win. When I watch the finale all I see is 300 meters of power and a WIN. Not ideal timing but a good counter-argument to some of the second guessing from Tirreno.....

There are "ifs and buts" on another forum about rider positioning and the good fortune of Roglic's leadout being the main reason for the win. When I watch the finale all I see is 300 meters of power and a WIN. Not ideal timing but a good counter-argument to some of the second guessing from Tirreno.....

Rog is pure power right now. Tomorrow we'll see whether he has good climbing legs but one thing is for sure: his operation was... successful. He seems rejuvenated tbh, mentally as well.

As for the sprint, I think it's another addition to the now almost classic "Rog wins but people say he wasn't best" list of... wins. It's happened before & will happen again, and I love it.

There's nothing sweeter than a little rival fanboy anxiety as icing on the cake after a stomp (of course tomorrow's result might be the reverse, but who cares eh?)

No, you're both wrong :D That was Marc Soler (number 27) and I think Rogla said: "hey Marc."

You're right!

We're being spoiled now.

It was a perfect finish for Roglic - This is the same stage Matthews has won on two occasions, and most times Roglic would beat Matthews in this finish.

Reactions: Gregor_Slovenia
There's nothing sweeter than a little rival fanboy anxiety as icing on the cake after a stomp (of course tomorrow's result might be the reverse, but who cares eh?)
That's why I kept my mouth shut. If he stomps tomorrow or even matches, Nothing will keep me silent against the rabid excuse making fanboys that think snotnose Remmy is the 2nd coming.
Alas if there is a 2nd coming of Eddy it's Pogi :(

Roglic gobbling up the the sprints with ease. I think he can lose some time tomorrow and still build slowly to the Giro and potential double.

Tomorrow should be a good test for his team. Maybe to leave the initiative to QS. Unless they decide they don't actually want to go for the stage win. Then to help them out a bit. In the last 20km or so likely a bit of practice for the stage 5 finale. Kuss likely being important.

All in all i doubt Roglič is thinking about giving up seconds. After all he wants to go to the Tour and win it. And the criteria for achieving that is rather high this year. Stage by stage and lets see on how it goes!

Reactions: Gregor_Slovenia
Missed it by a wheel today (Stage 2 Volta), 2nd to Ciccone. I had expected Remco to run away with it today, so ... not bad.

Much better than last year, not quite at 2001 levels (although... he didn't light up the first week of the Vuelta that year either) but has now shown he can climb with the best on a 15km col. Not bad.

I think if someone last month had suggested this is what would happen so far in March 2023, they would have been called crazy hopeful.

Roglic needs more than these opportunist goal uphill sprint wins at the Giro d'Italia. Evenepoel likely distances him in the TT. So he really needs to put pressure on Evenepoel and gap him in the mountains. Put pressure on him in the Alps so he potentially cracks.

Either that or he needs to ride a superb TT and only lose some little seconds.

Anyway it won't be enough to just cover and outsprint Evenepoel up towards Lake Laceno & Mount Bondone!

Roglic needs more than these opportunist goal uphill sprint wins at the Giro d'Italia. Evenepoel likely distances him in the TT. So he really needs to put pressure on Evenepoel and gap him in the mountains. Put pressure on him in the Alps so he potentially cracks.

Anyway it won't be enough to just cover and outsprint Evenepoel up towards Lake Laceno & Mount Bondone!
Roglic hasn't really worked on his longer climbing efforts yet. That's what the coming month is for. The level he is at currently is probably already higher than they expected. So the fact that he is at least able to sprint for these bonus seconds is already, well, a bonus.

There's time to employ Giro tactics... in the Giro. In Catalunya, there's no ITT so all he needs to do is mark Evenepoel & beat him for the bonus seconds. Leaving him out in front, following the accelerations in third wheel etc. Obviously I'm not saying Rog could have raced away & dropped everyone if he wanted to, but the principle of the tactics employed was very sound if he's racing to win this race this week.

It was Rog doing Rog things, basically. Like that day in the Vuelta 2021 when he 'wheelsucked' Mas on I-can't-remember-which-climb & there were loads of comments like "Rog is on the limit! Mas was stronger!".

In any case, apparently it was a fast ascent:

View: https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1638220376973910024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1638220376973910024%7Ctwgr%5E732a4ad40110616b4d063a9fb6e17d165c6d8b7e%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.velo-club.net%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D79709start%3D240

TRENDING THREADS