• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 431 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I am not saying I am pro, I don’t think I’m a pro, I am not sorry I’m not pro and I don’t think I know better than a pro. I can have an opinion that pros messed up or that certain pros do their job better than other pros without all of the above… Being a pro in something, I am also trying to have an opened mind to suggestions of people who are not pros at that same thing. And sometimes, they have good suggestions…
i get it. i dont want to get into the pro is or not thing...sorry if i went there. we, as fans, just want a good race. and i do agree many ppl on forums are very adept at race tactics...but that is only based on past race assessments. these riders change race by race...unfortunately...due to age, crashes, etc....but i believe the race ds has the most up to date info and they have to react to that and put it to plan. i think all...ds, and competitors expected rog to be stronger.

Reactions: Carols
i get it. i dont want to get into the pro is or not thing...sorry if i went there. we, as fans, just want a good race. and i do agree many ppl on forums are very adept at race tactics...but that is only based on past race assessments. these riders change race by race...unfortunately...due to age, crashes, etc....but i believe the race ds has the most up to date info and they have to react to that and put it to plan. i think all...ds, and competitors expected rog to be stronger.
Don’t get me wrong, I share your sentiment that pros get criticised all too much based on lack of data or wrong impressions. Probably the majority of criticism is usually unfounded. It looked like TJV was not being ambitious enough last week only to turn out Rogla is uncharacteristically weak due to reasons we don’t know.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned - case closed😀

Reactions: Carols and bill1109
btw, big F you to Magnus Cort for sprinting for the 3rd place time bonus today. i'm sure Roglic is glad he gifted Cort that stage win at the Vuelta a couple years ago when he couldve passed him easily. that's why you dont give any gifts.
I'm pretty sure he sprinted only for 3rd place (or just the best possible result, maybe he didn't even know exactly where he was), and not for the time bonus.

whatever, he knew the time bonus was there and he had nothing to gain from finishing 3rd vs 4th. it was a nice chance to repay Roglic for that day but I guess he didn't remember it. that's why you dont give gifts.
It's kind of normal to sprint for the best possible result, certainly if you're in the top 5-10, and if I'd been in the break all day, I'd absolutely try to stay ahead of the first riders from the peloton at least. But I agree with you that he probably didn't even think of that stage in the Vuelta at that moment.

whatever, he knew the time bonus was there and he had nothing to gain from finishing 3rd vs 4th. it was a nice chance to repay Roglic for that day but I guess he didn't remember it. that's why you dont give gifts.

Given that his heart rate was probably at around 170 bpm, I don't think Cort was aware that there were time bonus at stake. Even if he was, he is paid to bring UCI points to EF so I can't understand the criticism.

FxD4puKXsAMoylP

btw, big F you to Magnus Cort for sprinting for the 3rd place time bonus today. i'm sure Roglic is glad he gifted Cort that stage win at the Vuelta a couple years ago when he couldve passed him easily. that's why you dont give any gifts.
Cort is such a selfish rider. The moment he got dropped, he should somehow have rushed to help Roglic gain time on Thomas. A BIG F you to Cort from me as well. No wait, a BIG F you to all riders not riding for Roglic.

Cort is such a selfish rider. The moment he got dropped, he should somehow have rushed to help Roglic gain time on Thomas. A BIG F you to Cort from me as well. No wait, a BIG F you to all riders not riding for Roglic.

glad we can agree

just go look at the finish. he's noodling to the line, sees Roglic and Thomas and does an all out sprint. he had no need to finish third. is it really that many more UCI points for 3rd vs 5th on a single stage?

glad we can agree

just go look at the finish. he's noodling to the line, sees Roglic and Thomas and does an all out sprint. he had no need to finish third. is it really that many more UCI points for 3rd vs 5th on a single stage?
In all seriousness, Giro dItalia is a race. Cort is riding for EF, Roglic for Jumbo. Why on earth should Cort not try to get third on a major mountain stage when he has the chance? Roglic was just too slow to get those bonus seconds. Deal with it.

Don’t get me wrong, I share your sentiment that pros get criticised all too much based on lack of data or wrong impressions. Probably the majority of criticism is usually unfounded. It looked like TJV was not being ambitious enough last week only to turn out Rogla is uncharacteristically weak due to reasons we don’t know.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned - case closed😀
I think his and TJV's unknown is largely what is the "top form" they can predict? He's had a string of injuries, unfinished GTs and no amount of data can foretell what happens 3 weeks down the road. Those old results mean nothing to this race.
I'm sure they are looking at all date in live race time and staying with what has been proven possible to this point and maintain a close race. Save for either Almeida or Thomas cracking under stress they couldn't be overconfident.
Tomorrow there is no holding back and no downside. It'll be the truest test to all contenders' limits and will be interesting to see if any of our guesses were even close. Almeida came back today so I can't count any of those three guys out of the overall win.

Reactions: Carols and SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS