• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 444 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As much as I enjoy the hype here, I think it's hard to argue that Roglic is the second best rider in the pro peloton at the moment, and especially for the Tour. He beat Thomas by 14 seconds at the Giro, who is amazing esp at his age but was decidedly beaten at last year's tour by Jonas and Tadej who are just on another level by every measure we have available to us all viewers.

Last edited:
I don't know what to make of the Tour de France rumors with Roglic.

I am skeptical of the 'he rode himself into form' at the Giro. He showed up to a Grand Tour against Remco. I believe he trained hard for the race. With that said, Roglic did not look 100% in Stage 1 of the Giro. I like Remco but come on, Roglic at his best is not 43 seconds slower than Remco in a relatively flat, 19.6k ITT. Plus, wasn't there an early intermediary sprint that Remco won over Roglic. It doesn't seem like Roglic showed up on peak form for the race. Then his nasty crash happened early in week 2. I believe that impacted his performance through that week.

The reality is Roglic did what you had to do to accomplish the Giro-Tour double. He raced a relatively soft Giro course in a relatively non-aggressive race and won while really only looking to be on peak form for 1 day at the end of the race while having a relatively soft first week. Plus there were a ton of sprint stages in that race. How well he recovers from the effect is obviously key.

Personally, I think it's a Jumbo bait and switch. It doesn't mean they don't bring him and try soften up Pog again. Then again, on the other hand, if Jumbo brings him with a serious desire to see him act like a co-leader, they must either really believe in his ability to win or doubt Ving's ability to win. Either way, that leaves a recovering Pog as the main rival. If it's an in-form Roglic versus anyone besides Ving or Pog in the 2023 Tour, I like Roglic's chances. Giro or no Giro.

To sum up: nobody knows anything but the idea of a Giro-Tour double is so much fun to think about.

Last edited:
He wouldn't be domestique. They'd have a set-up like Ineos had in the Giro: two leaders. WvA could go for stage wins & chip in with help whenever necessary. Jumbo always liked having multiple leaders in the Tour anyway.

The more I think about this... the more it seems like... I dunno, highly likely? Seeing how happy Roglič looks right now in the Giro victory tour over in the Netherlands really hammers home the fact this man is a born racer & born winner. He lives to do this stuff. It's what he is, basically. Even all the sponsor stuff & interviews make him smile right now. So what better moment to do the TdF than straight off the back of a Giro win? His standing in the team is sky high.

There's so many pros & cons with valid points on all sides, but... I feel like a potential deciding factor is simply the fact riding the Vuelta again wouldn't be half as exciting as riding the Tour as a Giro winner.
In my dreams Vingo can't start and Primoz does the Double!!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and pman
Rog truly deserves some time off with his family, after all the success achieved in the 1st half of the year.
Let Vingegaard & Co deal with the Tour & then come back for the late season races. I even dare to say Roglic should skip La Vuelta and build up for next year's Giro

I think the perception that he raced into form at the Giro is influenced by his crash. He simply had to recover and his peak showed later (also they probably planned a watt bomb on that particular day, saving somewhat in the previous two stages). Let's remember that he already attacked Remco in week 1 on that steep, short climb. As for his form, obviously it's very good right now and will be like that for some time. But intense racing will make it exhaust at some point and there's nothing more intense than racing the Tour (esp. against the two mutants) with Giro in legs.

Something I always considered to be relevant with regards to Roglič is the fact he's in my opinion a rider who presents form variables based on... confidence.

Like he's much better after he wins because this gives him more belief & confidence... which in turn leads to more wins. The big downside is he eventually runs out of gas. I only mention this because the theory whereby a rested Rog can do better in a GT doesn't always materialize because it reduces his race sharpness & his confidence as well. That's just my impression based on watching him for so long.

So it's a double edged sword, i.e. a well rested Rog will have better form prospects over 3 weeks of racing but he'll lack race sharpness & confidence (this materializes in terms of lacking in positioning & timing, among other little details), whilst a well raced Rog will have bucket loads of sharpness & confidence but sooner or later the Alto de la Covatilla 2020 happens. I think this is partially why people have often struggled when it comes to analysing his best form & peak power, i.e. because he can produce 'best ever' results when theoretically he should be tired & then conversely he can be a little bit subpar when everyone expects a stomp.

He's like a footballer who plays weekend league games & midweek European matches, i.e. scoring loads of goals & boosted by that confidence. But eventually, a burn out happens. And if he's rested for too long, he goes a little rusty. I realise this is all somewhat contradicted by his traditional early season top level in March but I put that down to more of his high base level manifesting itself as 'superior' to other riders who're just starting their season.

I'm not saying he should do the Tour 2023 or anything based on this analysis either, it's just something I consider relevant.

Something I always considered to be relevant with regards to Roglič is the fact he's in my opinion a rider who presents form variables based on... confidence.

Like he's much better after he wins because this gives him more belief & confidence... which in turn leads to more wins. The big downside is he eventually runs out of gas. I only mention this because the theory whereby a rested Rog can do better in a GT doesn't always materialize because it reduces his race sharpness & his confidence as well. That's just my impression based on watching him for so long.

So it's a double edged sword, i.e. a well rested Rog will have better form prospects over 3 weeks of racing but he'll lack race sharpness & confidence (this materializes in terms of lacking in positioning & timing, among other little details), whilst a well raced Rog will have bucket loads of sharpness & confidence but sooner or later the Alto de la Covatilla 2020 happens. I think this is partially why people have often struggled when it comes to analysing his best form & peak power, i.e. because he can produce 'best ever' results when theoretically he should be tired & then conversely he can be a little bit subpar when everyone expects a stomp.

He's like a footballer who plays weekend league games & midweek European matches, i.e. scoring loads of goals & boosted by that confidence. But eventually, a burn out happens. And if he's rested for too long, he goes a little rusty. I realise this is all somewhat contradicted by his traditional early season top level in March but I put that down to more of his high base level manifesting itself as 'superior' to other riders who're just starting their season.

I'm not saying he should do the Tour 2023 or anything based on this analysis either, it's just something I consider relevant.
Should race Switzerland then.

As the current king of the one weekers this is a big missing from his palmeres.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS