• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 529 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think we saw something interesting in one of stages during the tour this year when UAE decided to go hard with Majka to get rid of Kelderman and Kuss early so that TJV can't dictate what will happen, left was just Pog, Yates and Vinge. Pog let Yates ride away to try to force Vinge to the front. Problem in this case was of course that Yates was too far behind to be a worry for Vinge. But if such a situation can be created when GC gaps aren't that big then UAE have an advantage. It's in such situation that TJV will want to have a rider like Roglic there to make Vinge less vunerable.

Better than Majka to do this is probably Jay Vine who can, as we say early in the Vuelta, set a brutal pace.
Agreed. I'm of the opinion that Rog and Jonas in the tour could be fine, they have very different ways of winning normally.

But I think it's still hard to use the second best guys like that. Adam was in yellow in the beginning of the tour, so he was a threat. But that changed very quickly. Things can ofc pan out diffently, but they are really not there over 3 weeks and the Jumbo plan is always with the whole race in mind it seems.

The second best of the last two years, they ride bikes and Pogi and Jonas are on motorcycles, they don't need to respect them enough.

Reactions: Trofonios
Would be disappointed if he doesn't give it a shot. Hope he doesn't overrace the rest of the fall season though.

He has some new experience with holding back from this Vuelta, so might as well use it in a prep races to Il Lombardia. I am really looking forward to a duel with Pogacar which would make it the first one in this season, right? Quite sad really.

No idea if this is geo-restricted, but I quite admire Roglic' ability to never really say what he thinks. Or at least I don't think he really means it when he says he likes to see Vingegaard and Kuss surpassing him :)

• Haha
Reactions: Big Doopie
No idea if this is geo-restricted, but I quite admire Roglic' ability to never really say what he thinks. Or at least I don't think he really means it when he says he likes to see Vingegaard and Kuss surpassing him :)

Another article here which isn't geo restricted: https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/wiel...hoe-jonas-en-sepp-mijn-rol-overnemen?twit=233

Honestly the weirdest part of this entire Vuelta has been the weird online cult (encouraged by Eurosport & the cycling influencers) who judged Rogla based on his happiness to serve as a domestique (including some whacky body language analysis). It's a strange fetish IMO to see champions work for someone else & they really dug deep with Rog; maybe as payback or something for past grievances (Fred Wright? Beating G in the Giro? Something else?).

I mean if people think this rider wants to get up in the morning & train for months for a GT just to make Plugge happy he gets a 123 on the podium (in 3rd), then they really haven't been paying attention.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya

Taking it on the chin. He'll be ready to take what's his next year.

I am just wondering who will he call out for being the next GT winner?

He called Pogacar
He called Jonas
He called Sepp

Who is next?

I sure am betting on his next pick, can't go wrong as it looks. :tearsofjoy:

vh63dunCMhKuKwTqHX7DgE-650-80.jpg.webp

Another article here which isn't geo restricted: https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/wiel...hoe-jonas-en-sepp-mijn-rol-overnemen?twit=233

Honestly the weirdest part of this entire Vuelta has been the weird online cult (encouraged by Eurosport & the cycling influencers) who judged Rogla based on his happiness to serve as a domestique (including some whacky body language analysis). It's a strange fetish IMO to see champions work for someone else & they really dug deep with Rog; maybe as payback or something for past grievances (Fred Wright? Beating G in the Giro? Something else?).

I mean if people think this rider wants to get up in the morning & train for months for a GT just to make Plugge happy he gets a 123 on the podium (in 3rd), then they really haven't been paying attention.
I don't get this at all either; from everything I've ever read, Primosz seems like a truly good guy, the opposite of a prima donna. Of course he wants his chances, the guy is a world class athlete who has made immense sacrifices to get where he is and who doesn't have all that many years left at the top. The way he is judged so negatively by some is just a mystery to me. If anything he could use MORE killer instinct, not less.

I don't get this at all either; from everything I've ever read, Primosz seems like a truly good guy, the opposite of a prima donna. Of course he wants his chances, the guy is a world class athlete who has made immense sacrifices to get where he is and who doesn't have all that many years left at the top. The way he is judged so negatively by some is just a mystery to me. If anything he could use MORE killer instinct, not less.

Right. Then there's the people (I'll generalize here) who really don't like Jumbo Visma throughout the season (not difficult to notice on TV & in the media)... yet became gatekeepers of Jumbo's internal happiness levels & weren't satisfied unless everyone at Jumbo was smiling, holding hands & singing kumbaya out there at the start of a stage, during a stage & at the finish line.

Like I said, whacky stuff.

Roglic bad luck was that the competition was too weak. After Remco became irrelevant and it was clear that neither Mas or Ayuso was stronger than Kuss, then it was obvious for TJV that they could win the Vuelta with Kuss and the dynamic changed: ride to defend the jersey.
That was also what caused the whole sh.t show (or at least that's how the haters saw it). If you have actual competition, you can use your numbers to play the game. Now they played the game against themselves. This is just something that's never been done in a grand tour. There's no playbook for it.

Reactions: Trofonios

To me it really seems you're overanalysing and looking for things that aren't there. Media wants drama. So Roglic admitting he wanted to race for it is the only drama they can sell.

Reactions: Carols
To me it really seems you're overanalysing and looking for things that aren't there. Media wants drama. So Roglic admitting he wanted to race for it is the only drama they can sell.

Maybe, maybe not. I want racing. If the media like drama, they should want racing as well. After all, that's where the real drama came from in this Vuelta.

Imagine if Jumbo really had implemented a 'pact of non-aggression' between their riders last weekend? Oh wow. It would have been the worst GT in recent memory by a long stretch.

Stages 16 & 17 were fun. The rest? Not really.

Maybe, maybe not. I want racing. If the media like drama, they should want racing as well. After all, that's where the real drama came from in this Vuelta.

Imagine if Jumbo really had implemented a 'pact of non-aggression' between their riders last weekend? Oh wow. It would have been the worst GT in recent memory by a long stretch.

Stages 16 & 17 were fun. The rest? Not really.
Any 'fair fight' was out of the game after stage 16 anyway because Roglic and Kuss weren't allowed to chase. Any 'the road decides' would have been Vingegaard winning by a previous arbitrary DS decision too.

There is almost no way to implement it fairly, unless let them race each other hard from the Tourmalet onwards.

I am happy that Sepp won and i am sure that Rogla is happy for Sepp too.

I feel that some positive outcomes from this Vuelta edition are, now any talk of Rogla being selfish, well that was now put to rest. Just like it was with all the talk of old age and crashes in the past. There was no signs of annihilation this year, when it comes to stage racing, so another myth successfully busted. Rogla always was and still is the member of top of the top. When it comes to stage racing.

Obviously Rogla not winning this Vuetla edition is a bit of a bummer. And seeing some questionable decisions, when it comes to DS, going against Rogla and pushing other team members ahead. Here some changes will be needed. In regards to such decision making. There are other GTs where such DS can participate and Rogla doesn't participate.

As for 2024 season and GT racing. I guess Kuss will defend at Vuelta. I am a bit sad about that. For Vuelta to be taken away from Rogla. Giro is where Rogla likely can go as sole leader. Tour is something that now Rogla can chose by himself. If he wants to do it in 2024 or not. After the sacrifice he made at Vuelta 2023. The team has no real say in this. Rogla can now decide.

As for other options. Change teams. I feel that Rogla can at minimum always listen, when such proposal are being made. Kuss now being a target too.