• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 771 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pog isn't even Rog's problem. He's going to be 35. He's had an amazing career (especially when you consider his origins in the sport). I mean.. chapeau Rog, really. 5 times GT winner & 88 career wins. Insane.

So no, Pog isn't his problem. Now for riders who're between 23 & 30... then yeah, Pog is a serious issue. He's everyone else's bogeyman. Aka The Baba Yaga of the peloton. Forget winning big races when Pog is on the startlist.
Great post! And this is what Remco diehard fans can't tolerate. Their boy will never win big races consistently because Pogacar is here until he retires (barring a career ending crash). Pogacar is only 16 months older than Remco.

I am sure that Rogla is still going to win races, regardless of who is on the start list. It comes with the age. For season 2024 it's important to win an one day race event. That would cement the migration from JV as being a total success. As for 2025 season it's early to think about that for now. During the winter a good plan to be made, then focus on oneself to prepare the best, hopefully for the team to again progress.

People have short memory, it used to be Jonas is unbeatable, now Pogi is supposedly unbeatable, before that Rogla was unbeatable. Still Rogla won a GT and week long stage race so far in the 2024 season. Only one additional cyclist can say that too.

P.S. As for DNF it's rather obvious, isn't it? Rogla was on Remco wheel.

Reactions: acm
He looked good the first San Luca before Pog attacks - the rest is a classic.

I think the combination of hard rainy race just made him decide to quit. Think the timing of that decision correlates perfectly with Lipowitz attacking and going solo.

Makes a lot of sense. You can fight for a podium or top 5 but if you're not even good and even a top 3 is unlikely then it really makes no sense to continue. Yes Pogacar will be at Tre Valli and Lombardia as well, but a podium at Lombardia is worth something while a 9th place in Emilia is not.

I am sure that Rogla is still going to win races, regardless of who is on the start list. It comes with the age. For season 2024 it's important to win an one day race event. That would cement the migration from JV as being a total success.

I don't believe this is necessary... and I also don't see it happening. I think he only has Lombardia left (I don't see Red Bull Bora on the startlist for Tre Valli and he's not mentioned in the preview either).

The migration from Jumbo was a success simply because he was able to pick up where he left and win a GT. That's what matters.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and acm
@Rackham

Still at his old team he was winning one day race events too, and AFAIK still being the last monument winner for the team. Personally i feel that Il Lombardia was the main goal all along and Rogla is using Worlds and beyond as prep races. Pogi is fatigued as it gets already and Remco likely won't peak again to such extend he would be able to beat Rogla. Descending good will be crucial this year, a lesson leaned from the last year. There is a section in there on where one will have to be top notch. We'll see.

• Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93
@Rackham

Still at his old team he was winning one day race events too, and AFAIK still being the last monument winner for the team. Personally i feel that Il Lombardia was the main goal all along and Rogla is using Worlds and beyond as prep races. Pogi is fatigued as it gets already and Remco likely won't peak again to such extend he would be able to beat Rogla. Descending good will be crucial this year, a lesson leaned from the last year. There is a section in there on where one will have to be top notch. We'll see.

I'm all for some daydreaming about a result on Saturday... it's just I'm also a realist. I think the problem is Pog. It's not even just a straightforward case of racing for second when Pog is untouchable. The problem is when there's a group behind Pog after he's dropped everyone, it becomes rapidly uncontrollable and anyone can get on the podium of a one day race when everyone is racing for second.

I mean if things were simple to the point Rog could go for second or third on Saturday in Lombardia, then fine, go for it. But that's not the way these races unfold behind Pog when he's so dominant. Especially this year, aka the further away from the line his attacks are, the more uncontrollable things get behind him.

Reactions: SHAD0W93