• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evidence: Links Only!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
From the original thread. Old. It is useful background history.
TubularBills said:
Signs with US Postal Service team after being dropped by Cofidis.

http://www.sportinglife.com/other-sports/news/article/678/8013978/lance-armstrong-factfile

1998: Wins Tours of Holland and Luxembourg.

According to O'Reilly, after the 1998 Tour of Holland Armstrong gave her a sack of empty syringes. "Look Emma, I didn't throw these out. Can you throw them in the trash?"

Nearly a year later, just prior to the medical checkup before the start of the 1999 Tour she said, "Armstrong asked me if I had something in my make-up bag that could be used to cover up scars from syringe injections into his upper arm, so that doctors in the control would not be suspicious."

Although Tour de France cyclists often receive vitamin injections or glucose injections, those are generally applied to the ****. According to Willy Voet, the soigneur at the heart of the 1998 Festina Affair and a self-proclaimed expert on performance-enhancing drugs recalls, "In the upper arm we injected human growth hormones, EPO, cortisone or amphetamines. Other products, like iron for example, are applied to the ****, in a place where there is enough meat."

O'Reilly also discusses Armstrong positive drug test for cortisone during the same 1999 Tour. The story broke in the French daily LeMond on the Pyrenees stage to Piau-Engaly and that evening during the massage, O'Reily recounts an emergency meeting with several staff members of the team as well as herself and Armstrong.

"What are we going to do? What are we going to do? Stay calm, stay together, don't panic. We all have to have the same story when we leave this room," a staff member said. "We had the impression that the **** was really out and we had to find an explanation. That's when we came up with the story of the cortisone cream to treat a saddle sore with a post-dated prescription."

http://www.2009tourdefrancenews.com/article/0,6610,s1-3-12-8621-1,00.html

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
From the original thread. This is a long post, and it is all either old evidence, or it is current news and opinion. Still, it could be useful for someone who is reading this collection. I just don't think it fits with the intention of the thread. I will listen to countering opinions - pm me.

I have left a link to the original post - it is post #52 in the thread. Starting about post 40 there is a lot of conversation, and some links that could be interesting, but do not qualify for "the Evidence, Links Only" thread.

TubularBills did put a lot of work into this and some following posts - which is why I am linking to this post. It is worth reviewing and bookmarking. He does provide a valuable compilation of articles and materials that are relevant.

TubularBills said:
Witnesses & Whistleblowers

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
From the original thread. Current news about the USADA case and relevant material.
TubularBills said:
Equitable Tolling, Perjury & Statute of Limitations

Equitable Tolling Law & Legal Definition:

Equitable tolling is a legal principle evolved from the common law of equity. Equitable tolling states that the statute of limitations will not bar a claim if the plaintiff, despite reasonable care and diligent efforts, did not discover the injury until after the limitations period had expired.

Perjury:

Full SCA Testimony (Video with Index and Timing)

Full Testimony (Written)

The Eddy Hellebuyck Story

Lance and the Law Part 2 - Statutes of Limitations (The Eddy Hellebuyck Story)

USADA: Armstrong could have kept 5 Tour de France titles: (Thanks to ChewD)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/story/2012-08-26/Lance-Armstrong-Tour-de-France-doping/57336128/1

Armstrong via Herman Response Declining Arbitration:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Fpublic%2Fresources%2Fdocuments%2FBockLetter.pdf

USADA Press Release - Armstrong Sanction:

http://www.usada.org/media/sanction-armstrong8242012

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
NEW.

From the original thread, another TubularBills compilation. I think several of the links are duplicates of earlier posts, but some is new. In particular, RaceRadio has posted the originals of several letters and USADA case related documents.

TubularBills said:

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Old evidence, but good posts. TubularBills has again produced an above average post. While this is "Old" evidence, the interviews he relates and link may be new to readers. Useful history. Posts 128 and 129 in the original thread.

Because this is not, so far as I know, part of the USADA case, I did not include the links, but I did leave a link to Tubular's post #128.

TubularBills said:
The Good Doctor

Dr. Prentice Steffen on USPS TDF 2005

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
From the original thread. Current news regarding the USADA case;

TubularBills said:
Public Relations

from David Walsh:

"...When I first interviewed Armstrong in 1993, two days into his first Tour de France, he was 21 and spoke passionately about the role his single mother, Linda, had played in his life."

“She taught that if you give up, you give in,” he said. “I never give up.”

Armstrong, who has never failed a doping test, said he would jump at the chance to put the allegations to rest once and for all, but refused to participate in the Usada process, which he called "one-sided and unfair".

http://www.odwyerpr.com/poll/0526armstrong_pr_strategy.htm

"There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say," "Enough is enough."

"I refuse to participate"

"There were no shortcuts, there was no special treatment."

"Today I turn the page."

The World Anti-Doping Agency chief, John Fahey, believes that Lance Armstrong's decision not to fight doping charges can only lead to the conclusion that he is a 'drug cheat' and he should be stripped of his seven Tour de France titles.

"He had the right to rip up those charges but he elected not to, therefore the only interpretation in these circumstances is that there was substance in those charges," Fahey told Reuters on Friday.

"I'm not going to attempt to understand why he's done that ... I can only take it as it stands – that it leads only to the conclusion that he is a drug cheat. My understanding is that when the evidence is based upon a career that included seven Tour de France wins then all of that becomes obliterated."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/24/lance-armstrong-wada

But... before he gave up, he hired:

BazaarVoice

& after... PR Week launched this:

aug_24_armstrong_poll_home_290381.jpg

http://www.prweekus.com/online-polls/section/990/

BazaarVoice seems to have purged any mention of LA, but a Google Search reveals a fragment:

Stephen Collins Joins Bazaarvoice as Chief Financial Officer ...
http://www.bazaarvoice.com › About › Press RoomSep 30, 2010 – Bazaarvoice, the market and technology leader in hosted social ... athletes including 7-time Tour de France winner, Lance Armstrong.

Which is curious because BV is an Austin, Texas Firm?

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-07-05/bazaarvoice-tweaks-outlook-after-powerreviews-deal

& Insider's Respond:

Rate Lance Armstrong’s reputation:

It’s in tatters. He’s never going to regain his former status: 24%

Armstrong’s never failed a drug test. Until he does, I’ll believe he’s innocent*: 42%

Even if he did use steroids, so did most of his competitors: 13%

The investigation into him was a jealousy-driven witch hunt. He’s a good man: 21%

Posted 3 days ago.

*Stay Tuned...

More to come...

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
From the original thread.
D-Queued said:
I definitely recall refrigerated panniers.

That came from the IM conversation between Frankie and Jonathan, and supposedly was about blood bags and not EPO. But, you are right, maybe the stories are blended, or maybe one is simply a continued practice from the other.

Note that Tyler's press release is getting fast and broad coverage.

Nothing like some foreshadowing from Lance to help accelerate the marketing engine.

Ex-teammate: I cheated with Lance

Dave.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Current news. From the original thread.
thehog said:
"To Lance's way of thinking, doping is a fact of life, like oxygen or gravity," Hamilton writes of Armstrong, who last week abandoned his challenge to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, which banned him for life and invalidated his record seven Tour de France titles.

"With the other stuff, you swallow a pill or put on a patch or get a tiny injection," Hamilton writes. "But here you're watching a big clear plastic bag slowly fill up with your warm dark red blood. You never forget it."

"I got to where I could estimate my hematocrit level by the color of my blood," Hamilton writes, referring to a measurement of red blood cells.

Hamilton writes that once he started cooperating with federal investigators he suspected that his phones and email accounts were hacked. He details a notorious 2011encounter with Armstrong at a restaurant in Aspen, Colorado. Hamilton says Armstrong confronted him there, promising to make Hamilton's life hellish.

"When you're on the witness stand, we are going to f---ing tear you apart," Armstrong said, according to Hamilton. "You are going to look like an f---ing idiot."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...acuses-doping-article-1.1148508#ixzz255mVRmJp

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
From the original thread, post # 501
Apologies if this has already been linked, but here are the science guys, making a comment. http://www.sportsscientists.com/2012/08/the-armstrong-fallout-thoughts-and.html

Part of why this is interesting to me is that he is also "despondent" over the giant silence of the peloton.

And he links to this - an interesting piece on the peloton's reactions:
http://captaintbag.tumblr.com/post/30184403698/1-a-the-integrated-pattern-of-human-behavior

There are quite a few other good links embedded in the article, too.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks? Help me out a bit here. I recently read one of the many articles about the USADA interviews - and it told how a rep from Novitsky's squad accompanied USADA to all the interviews - 'just to make sure the stories all matched'.

WHERE WAS IT? Now I can't find it!

Thanks!

On the subject of jurisdiction (i.e. the absurd UCI position that their jurisdiction trumps USADA), Anne Gripper, former UCI anti-doping program manager had this to say a few years ago:

Anne Gripper: We’re following the normal results management rules. That means the UCI do all the initial investigations, and once we’re convinced there is enough evidence that a rider has broken our rules we then request that the national federation of that rider conduct disciplinarily proceeding including a fair hearing where a rider can present their defence. It’s up to federation to appoint a committee to pass any sanction but the minimum sanction is two years but we believe that cases under the passport constitute wilful manipulation of blood and therefore the federations can apply, and we encourage them, a sanction of four years. If a rider admits guilt immediately it’s possible to avoid the four year sentence.

Though the topic was the biopassport program, the answer confirmed the generic process.

This Q+A bit was also interesting:

Question: None of these riders named today are big names of cycling. Have you taken people purely on the evidence of the passport or has there been a weeding out of names?

Anne Gripper: Absolutely not. I would not be here if that was the case. I know people are looking for big names but we can’t artificially create data. We check everyone in exactly the same way and I can guarantee I would not be in this job if there was any other attitude from within the UCI on that matter.

Then, for (quite valid) personal reasons, Anne left her position.

Her departure was an unfortunate event, coming after this statement as well as the 2009 Tour where the UCI managed the doping program and AFLD registered a complaint that the UCI favored high profile riders in general, and Astana in particular.

From Pierre Bordry:

Bordry's criticism of the UCI centres on what he perceives to be inconsistent and inadequate protocols at doping controls carried out during the Tour. Reports published in French newspapers Le Monde and Le Figaro on Monday suggested that Astana riders, including Lance Armstrong and Alberto Contador, had been given up to 45 minutes before providing samples to UCI controllers during the Tour.

Gripper's 2009 comments were particularly ironic given what happened a year later at the 2010 Tour, when the UCI was again in charge of anti-doping and WADA observers were present.

From the official WADA report:

The most glaring observation was that despite collecting 540 samples during the race, only 15% of the controls were unannounced, and some of the most suspicious riders and those with "significantly improved performances" were hardly tested at all.

"As a way of illustrating this, during the Tour it [was] leaked in the media that the authorities of the country of one of the competing riders had just initiated an investigation against the rider to examine doping allegations. Information which appeared on the media linked the rider with the use of a new drug, which is prohibited in sport. The IO Team did not observe any attempt to target test this rider for the new prohibited substance," the report revealed.

I sure hope that one rider wasn't someone called Lance Armstrong.

Either way, this evidence supports the assertions of Kimmage, Landis and Hamilton with respect to UCI favoritism.

Dave.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Statement from USADA

The evidence of the US Postal Service Pro Cycling Team-run scheme is overwhelming and is in excess of 1000 pages, and includes sworn testimony from 26 people, including 15 riders with knowledge of the US Postal Service Team (USPS Team) and its participants’ doping activities

http://www.usada.org/cyclinginvestigationstatement.html

Benotti found it first, but I have to add:

NEW -- NEW -- NEW -- NEW -- NEW -- NEW -- NEW !!

USADA has finally released their report to the UCI. The linked letter is only the cover letter, but it does include detail, like who gave testimony among the USPS riders.

That fat lady is singing.

Status
Not open for further replies.