• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Expectations towards vuelta 2012

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ryo Hazuki said:
20 minutes? lol. 10 mintues because of itt yes. but in the mountains all the riders I've named are better than wiggins, jvdb and nibali. save perhaps henao

All of the riders you named have potential but where are the recent results in grand tours. De Gendt and the Colombians did well in the Giro but they are still a long way from the level of Froome and Contador. Nibali and Wiggins have improved their climbing even though they are not naturals. For me since the Vuelta in 2010 Anton has been a huge disappointment apart from a good stage win in the 2011 Giro. VDB like Evans is not a natural climber but he is good enough to finish high on GC. Gesink is the one who has to start producing results of some kind in grand tours otherwise he will end up like Roche at Saxo. I know he has had bad luck but how long will he be able to use that as an excuse ?

movingtarget said:
The third week might be hard for Froome and the fresher riders always seem to have the advantage when their opponents attempt two grand tours. I think Contador should win but the margin of victory could be interesting. Contador's lack of competition against Froome's previous workload.

Froome hasn't race all that much this year. Most of the riders who do two grand tours also race through spring as well. I still think Contador should win by at least a minute.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
I have no doubt that Froome will finish ahead of Cobo this year. No one said that Cobo is a Contador,

cobo is better than froome though and comes closest to contador other than quintana. cobo last year had quite a bad winter. this year sucked as well, but not as much as last year. besides mentally he's changed it seems

Ryo Hazuki said:
cobo is better than froome though and comes closest to contador other than quintana. cobo last year had quite a bad winter. this year sucked as well, but not as much as last year. besides mentally he's changed it seems

Do you have any idea how Quintana will do in a 3 week tour? one thing is beating sky guys in dauphine another thing is beating them at stage lets say 20

Ryo Hazuki said:

Lol watch out for the sky fanboys :D I don't know if Cobo is better than Froome I just know Alberto >>>>>>>>>>>> Cobo and Froome

LaFlorecita said:
Lol watch out for the sky fanboys :D I don't know if Cobo is better than Froome I just know Alberto >>>>>>>>>>>> Cobo and Froome

I am not a Skyboy ! Sounds a bit suspicious. I just think Froome is a better rider than last year and he is healthier than he was before. They are the three expected to do well but there are always one or two surprises. Gesink may finish a race. Rodriguez after a great Giro may do better than expected. He was very consistent in the Giro. No really bad days like in previous grand tours.

movingtarget said:
I am not a Skyboy ! Sounds a bit suspicious. I just think Froome is a better rider than last year and he is healthier than he was before. They are the three expected to do well but there are always one or two surprises. Gesink may finish a race. Rodriguez after a great Giro may do better than expected. He was very consistent in the Giro. No really bad days like in previous grand tours.

Have I ever said you are a sky fanboy :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Do you have any idea how Quintana will do in a 3 week tour? one thing is beating sky guys in dauphine another thing is beating them at stage lets say 20

yeah he's colombian and even better, he's boyacan! they all recuperate well over 3 weeks

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
yeah he's colombian and even better, he's boyacan! they all recuperate well over 3 weeks

See Henao in the Giro this year. Was his first grand tour and he did very well. And yes I know he's older but he's a Columbian too.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:

I predict similar to Pinot in the tour. He will be strong, but will have a bad day or two!

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I´d been in Vuelta a Burgos last week and saw in very good condition Henao, Antón, Purito, Gesink and Mollema (thoght Urán was too tired, he sufered a lot working for Henao).

I was impresed by Colombia Coldeportes, it´s a pity they are not in the Vuelta, hope next year they get invitation from Giro and Vuelta

Ryo Hazuki said:

If Anton is in good form, he will challenge Contador too. Looking forward to 4-horse fight between Anton, Contador, Quintana and Cobo. Will be epic, hopefully they won't have any mishaps.

rantanplan said:
I´d been in Vuelta a Burgos last week and saw in very good condition Henao, Antón, Purito, Gesink and Mollema (thoght Urán was too tired, he sufered a lot working for Henao).

I was impresed by Colombia Coldeportes, it´s a pity they are not in the Vuelta, hope next year they get invitation from Giro and Vuelta

Coldeportes should start with one GT in my opinion, next year, their squad isn't big enough. Hopefully the Vuelta, later in the year is only good for them. Before that, maybe Tour de Suisse and similar one-week races.

Arnout said:
If Anton is in good form, he will challenge Contador too. Looking forward to 4-horse fight between Anton, Contador, Quintana and Cobo. Will be epic, hopefully they won't have any mishaps.

Coldeportes should start with one GT in my opinion, next year, their squad isn't big enough. Hopefully the Vuelta, later in the year is only good for them. Before that, maybe Tour de Suisse and similar one-week races.

I would like to see Anton do well but I have my doubts. First he has to show he can be good for a whole three weeks.

Ryo Hazuki said:
I'm sure froome will be stronger in vuelta than in tour. the tour had a pathetic level in the mountains. the vuelta will be completely different.

contador, quintana, cobo, froome, henao, anton, purito, de gendt

my god _O_

still I don't see henao help froome. uran I'm sure will help though

Also I hope to see Mikel Landa emerging at high level in a pro tour race...:cool:
he can do a pinot...

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
So lets see. J Rod, Anton, The Great One, Samy, Cobo, Moreno. If these guys trade attacks on a mountain are sky going to argue that the spaniards are gathering up on the Brit:p

It's not the Tour. Sky will not and won't need a mountain train.

Once - there's no Wiggins. Froome is more explosive and doesn't need steady pace all the climb.

Second - Sky is not coming here as biggest favourites and so will not ride with the tactics like Tour. It'll be something like Giro where Uran, Henao ( this time Froome ) got help until last climbs and were left on their own devices. Can't see Sky mountain train tbh here.