• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Explosion at Boston Marathon

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
alitogata said:
Excuse me but it is supposed that any suspect is innocent until it is proved without any doubd that s/he is guilty. So I really don't understand why the FBI puplish photos of the suspects, and show their faces in public. If these people are proved innocent it would be totally unfair to have their photos online as criminals, or terrorists etc.

Unless they have a camera evidence that shows them to put somewhere the bombs.. but I suppose that they don't have such evidences..
Law enforcement think it over carefully before releasing photos of suspects. In this case the need to warn the public and to identify the two men was so overwhelmingly obvious that it would have been negligent not to release the images. We may eventually find out that they were planning more attacks. Any chance of a fair trial won't be affected, judges in high profile trials are very careful and won't get influenced by an old media release, and nobody is going to elect for trial by jury in a case where a young child was killed by a bomb. Not that this case is going to trial...

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
These guys certainly did not plan their escape well. The had three days. They could have been overseas on Tuesday.

I have to think they did not think they would be identified so easily and freaked out yesterday when their pictures were released.
That's the good side of the surveillance society. I don't like the idea of being on camera everywhere I go in a big city, but I like seeing cases like Boston and London solved in part by big brother's ever-watchful eye.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I have to think they did not think they would be identified so easily and freaked out yesterday when their pictures were released.
i read/heard some reports that the 2 bros are just front/detraction for other more important 2 accomplices (particularly given the mystery/strangeness of killing a security officer in stead of running).

if they are just decoys, the culprits may be a lot more professional and far more intriguing.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately these things rarely end in the guy being brought in alive so unless there's a manifesto or some other written documents lying about it's very possible that we'll know the who and how but not the why.

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
thirteen said:
i think alitogata and the aunt may be one and the same.

Who is the aunt??

ChrisE said:
If he does, hopefully he will employ the actions of the potentially mistakenly identified "non-arraigned" people by killing a cop, robbing a 7-11, stealing a car, having shootouts with police while tossing home-made bombs out the stolen car's window, then running towards them with explosives wrapped around his chest. All this while your other non-arraigned brother who was also victimized by having his pic run on TV, runs over your dead body and flees some more.

It would seem so much easier to just give yourself up peacefully and let the truth attempt to come out. But hey, some of us are just rebels I guess.

And all these while Obama didn't manage to pass the law against weapons.. what a coincidence!!!

As for the other brother, have you watched the video? Such an important and crucial evidence should have been published somewhere.... while:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/19/boston-lockdown-bombings-suspect

Bye bye civil liberties and peoples' rights!!
People of Boston get locked in your houses, the bogeyman-terrorist-bad foreigner "islamist" scapegoat will come to get you.. while the police will terrorize you more than the bombings did. ( the interesting is how all these terrorists acts have always the best media coverage.. while the cctv cameras always catch something that we are never allowed to watch).:rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
All in all, the bad guys have been identified CORRECTLY! Kudo's to the law enforcement agencies who even though did not list out every clue and fact they had personally to some on this forum to identify the bad guys they did so correctly.

I am assuming people are actually reading the news sites and not this thread for the actual facts. Get out of this forum if you want the real info.

python said:
i read/heard some reports that the 2 bros are just front/detraction for other more important 2 accomplices (particularly given the mystery/strangeness of killing a security officer in stead of running).

if they are just decoys, the culprits may be a lot more professional and far more intriguing.

The fact that these two guys were not smart enough get out of Dodge when they had the opportunity does not do much to establish their cred as master terrorists. It is a pretty p!ss poor conspiracy when no one stops to plan what they do after the bombing.

That they had to rob a 7-11 points to them having no money, no plan, and no clue.

ElChingon said:
All in all, the bad guys have been identified CORRECTLY! Kudo's to the law enforcement agencies who even though did not list out every clue and fact they had personally to some on this forum to identify the bad guys they did so correctly.

I am assuming people are actually reading the news sites and not this thread for the actual facts. Get out of this forum if you want the real info.

The problem with that is most of those news sites are getting their news from twitter, forums, and other news sites that get their news the same way--well, that is when they don't just make the news up. The MSM has done an appallingly bad job.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The fact that these two guys were not smart enough get out of Dodge when they had the opportunity does not do much to establish their cred as master terrorists. It is a pretty p!ss poor conspiracy when no one stops to plan what they do after the bombing.

That they had to rob a 7-11 points to them having no money, no plan, and no clue.

and no slurpees

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

the point you seem to under appreciate (and this is purely speculative at the moment), they could be making a mess of themselves deliberately, to give the other reported perpetrators room to get away. i am no conspiracy theorist normally, but would not be surprised if the bros were just the pawns.

to bolster the point, i was wondering why the us has not honoured russia's offer of total cooperation in tracing the killed suspect brother highly suspicious travels through russia for 6 months in 2012 ?

May 18, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
This time, *snip*.

Descender addressed your utopian civil rights view earlier, much better than I could say myself. All the other babble about strawmen is not worth my time.

Straight up question: Do you think the cops should have released the photos?

python said:
the point you seem to under appreciate (and this is purely speculative at the moment), they could be making a mess of themselves deliberately, to give the other reported perpetrators room to get away. i am no conspiracy theorist normally, but would not be surprised if the bros were just the pawns.

The simplest explanation is almost always the reason. Big brother has some sort of personal setback, finds solace in the struggle of Chechnya and muslims in general, talks his little brother into the same crap, and the two fcuk-ups end up committing a random act of violence that does not make much sense. Maybe friends or people they know encouraged them or failed to report what they were up to. Maybe someone even provided money or paid for the older one to travel to Russia, but the end has all the hallmarks of two idiots with no resources who were desperate to get out of town.

python said:

:confused:
Riddle me this. How is it better for these "other reported perpetrators" as you call them, ' if the fall guys get caught a couple of days after the deed?

Wouldnt it be 100 times better for the "other reported perpetrators" if the fall guys left the country, or were hiding out in the countryside or something, and there was this mass world/nationwide search for them that lasts an extra 2 or 3 days if not a week.

That, it seems to me, would minimize the cost of the "other reported perpetrators" getting caught, far more than if the people who planted the bombs get caught/ killed straight away.

its one hell of a conspiracy theory. And, im guessing those 'sources' where you heard this form, but won't share with us, are not the fbi or any other credible lead.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
These guys certainly did not plan their escape well. The had three days. They could have been overseas on Tuesday.

I agree, and they are idiots. Any non-idiot would have known that there would be video AT THE FINISH LINE OF THE BOSTON MARATHON, and they didn't even try to hide their identity. Hell the younger one was wearing the same hooded sweatshirt in the 711. Shave your head or something, put a wig on. Change clothes. GTFO of the area afterwards.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
:confused:
Riddle me this. How is it better for these "other reported perpetrators" as you call them, ' if the fall guys get caught a couple of days after the deed?

Wouldnt it be 100 times better for the "other reported perpetrators" if the fall guys left the country, or were hiding out in the countryside or something, and there was this mass world/nationwide search for them that lasts an extra 2 or 3 days if not a week.

That, it seems to me, would minimize the cost of the "other reported perpetrators" getting caught, far more than if the people who planted the bombs get caught/ killed straight away.

its one hell of a conspiracy theory. And, im guessing those 'sources' where you heard this form, but won't share with us, are not the fbi or any other credible lead.

funny thing, a member of this forum PM'd me right after it happened and made a very accurate call on who he thought did it. i'll let him come forward and take his bows if he chooses

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
...... Big brother has some sort of personal setback, finds solace in the struggle of Chechnya and muslims in general
this is where you, as most americans do regardless of their level of education and/or intelligence (this is a personal observation devoid of any intention of dissing you or being dismissive) show lack of knowledge of the world affairs at large...

if the bros were driven by Chechnya's struggles in the muslim context, they would attack russia as their brethren still do almost daily. they attacked america, the country that gave them a political asylum against the opressors, not russia, that crushed their country's independence !

again, simple scenarios sometimes pan out, perhaps more often that less simple ones, but this heinous act id still to be resolved.

python said:
this is where you, as most americans do regardless of their level of education and/or intelligence (this is a personal observation devoid of any intention of dissing you or being dismissive) show lack of knowledge of the world affairs at large...

if the bros were driven by Chechnya's struggles in the muslim context, they would attack russia as their brethren still do almost daily. they attacked america, not russia, that crushed their country's independence !

again, simple scenarios sometimes pan out, perhaps more often that less simple ones, but this heinous act id still to be resolved.

I think you are making a big leap there. They could easily view America as an enemy of Islam. The U.S. is responsible for hundreds of thousands of muslim deaths over the last decade. Russia is not an easy target for someone who lives in the U.S. I think a lot of people like this, who are acting more out of personal demons and craziness rather than rational political goals, will choose a vulnerable local target.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
python said:
...i was wondering why the us has not honoured russia's offer of total cooperation in tracing the killed suspect brother highly suspicious travels through russia for 6 months in 2012 ?
You can be sure that the brothers' travels, their phone records, their home/school/work computers, their friends, their neighbours, their employers and coworkers, their estranged family, the FedEx guy who delivered to their homes, pretty much everything but their stool samples will be examined and/or interviewed in depth before the investigation is complete. And much of that is happening now while the world focuses on the hunt for the remaining suspect. Although, Russia's promise as told to the general public probably lacks a few terms and conditions provided to the ambassador.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
What are the chances this guy was fatally wounded last night, hid somewhere, and died? It is not like it would make sense to give himself up if he was wounded.

I'm still trying to figure out how he got away from the cops in the first place. I haven't had time to follow this minute by minute, but did they not have the car stopped in front of them at some point? :confused:

Tell me he did not just "drive away." Hollywood has worn out that scenario long ago.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think you are making a big leap there. They could easily view America as an enemy of Islam.
of course it is possible. but if the chechen ethnicity is to be prioritized, as seemed the obsession with most western media, the target should NOT have been the country that gave them home, education and protection against the oppressors of their ethnic motherland.
The U.S. is responsible for hundreds of thousands of muslim deaths over the last decade.
can't disagree. i have been a consistent critic of the us middle east policies but, again, if the brothers were to act on the abstract emotion of islam being oppressed, being chechens, they did not have to chose america. in fact, there are reliable reports that chechens were among the Syrian anti-government forces, taliban etc... all i am saying is that the chechen brothers being an isolated extremist strike group in the us is as possible as being part of a wider project...
Russia is not an easy target for someone who lives in the U.S
note that the brothers maintained close relations with their parents who (for so far unknown reason) moved back to dagestani russia. it could have been a family dynamic or could have been not...

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
python said:
if the bros were driven by Chechnya's struggles in the muslim context, they would attack russia as their brethren still do almost daily. they attacked america, the country that gave them a political asylum against the opressors, not russia, that crushed their country's independence !
But a lot of Chechens believe that the US has sided with Russia, which in some ways it has:

The United States backed Russia's territorial integrity during the wars and did not endorse the separatists' desire for an independent state. Washington has also supported Russia's right to combat terrorism
Basically a tacit admission that the US considers the Chechnyan rebels to be terrorists. Not surprising, though - the US is probably more concerned about not ****ing off Russia than it is with supporting Chechnyan (ie primarily Islamic) nationalists.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anya-schmemann/boston-bomber-us-russia-ties_b_3118244.html

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:
Basically a tacit admission that the US considers the Chechnyan rebels to be terrorists.
i am going to retire in a moment but the clinton (?) government position on chechnya's uprising was as indicative of a convenient, politically motivated double-standard as at could have been.

they pushed a public message one way (to placate russia's official support for 9/11), while giving political asylum to a number of chechen militants/terrorists condemned to capital punishment in russia.

i never trusted clintion as i never esteemed american foreign policies in general...

TRENDING THREADS