Extreme quadriceps starting pain after 3-4 rest days

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 5, 2022
Has someone tried to combine cycling with jogging? So for example, you go jogging the one day and the next day you go cycling, then you go jogging again and so on. If yes what were the results? Was there something different, or just pain in the upper and lower legs? And for how long did you do it?
Thanks in advance
I have done some running and experienced the same issue on 2-3 occasions. Normally run in my offseason as a replacement for some cycling volume October-December as well as sporadically throughout the year maybe 1-2 times per month. Pain is the same, triggers about 1-1.5miles for me, usually on or immediately after a downhill. Legs lock up and have the same searing pain, cramping sensation as on the bike.

I may not be the best use case for the running theory as I also introduce the variable of increased strength training during the months where I increase running volume. I have never experienced any issues during a strength session and I lift heavy (relative for me) squats and deadlifts 2x a week.

Craig

Jul 9, 2021
Has someone tried to combine cycling with jogging? So for example, you go jogging the one day and the next day you go cycling, then you go jogging again and so on. If yes what were the results? Was there something different, or just pain in the upper and lower legs? And for how long did you do it?
Thanks in advance
I have a lot of experience with this involving running and biking from years spent training for an Ironman.
I could never run first after 2 days off the bike (where my episodes on the bike would usually happen after 3 days of rest). If I did first, within 10-15 minutes of running my quads would slowly get tighter and tighter and that burning sensation would feel like my legs were filling with acid. As soon as it was unbearable I’d stop running and couldn’t restart again no matter what. If I biked first I’d have no issues running. After an episode during running if I biked later that same day and powered through the pain to where it clears up I would be ok to run the next day.
The higher the training load got the less time off was needed to trigger an episode.

ASK THE COMMUNITY