• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ain't he just saying that he once wants to do the Tour!?

Guess he's simply diplomatic towards Nibali. Because as the reigning Vuelta champion he has the full right to go for the Giro win. And thats what I think he really wants after two podiums. He knows his main challenger, the route suits both of them and it's better to arrive at the Tour as a former Vuelta + Giro winner.

There will be talks behind hidden doors. But I'm pretty sure Aru eventually gets what he wants. He's Martinelli and Shefer baby boy and has got the whole Italian core of the team behind him. Nibali shouldn't risk a conflict here. He ain't gonna win it. Sorry.

You guys are crazy if you think he's better than Nibali as of now. He's improving, and Nibs just had a bad year. But there's a HUGE difference in their skillsets right now.
IMHO Nibs deserves another shot at the Tour. Nibs 2014 edition was something epic.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The way he's progressing is impressive, but he needs improve much more, to come close to Quintana, Froome, Contador, Nibali and Landa.
This first GT win will help him.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Pippo_San said:
You guys are crazy if you think he's better than Nibali as of now. He's improving, and Nibs just had a bad year. But there's a HUGE difference in their skillsets right now.
IMHO Nibs deserves another shot at the Tour. Nibs 2014 edition was something epic.

If I were in control of Astana and had to make that call, I'd look at Aru and see a consistent level of performance over his past few GTs, with a clear upwards trend. I'd look at Nibali's riding and summon him to the office to explain just why he turned up in dogshit form at the only race he targeted all year. I'd make the call depending on the answer Nibali gives.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Marco Pantani said:
The way he's progressing is impressive, but he needs improve much more, to come close to Quintana, Froome, Contador, Nibali and Landa.
This first GT win will help him.

I don't think so. That Astana (with Aru] machine would have won the tour IMO.

They showed movie how to put the hurt on. Froome could only just hang on to Movie. Astana would have destroyed him like they destroyed TD. Aru and Astana are a serious threat for the tour.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
The face of a man determined and focused to win. Victory is expected.
WATSON_00004347-029-630x420.jpg

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Ricco' said:
malakassis said:
...on the other hand, why not show him the tour? fassa bortolo took basso with 24 years in the 2002 tour. he won the white jersey. as quintana next year will be 26 aru could go for white.

Aru is from the same year of Quintana (1990), he won't be eligible for young rider classification next year.

right lol, didnt think to this. 2016 tour starts on july 2nd. aru will turn 26 on july 3rd. so he has 1 day right for white jersay or what?

btw in the interview with ghisalberti he looks so small like schoolboy. but his legs real climber legs like coppi. he should go tour for sure just without pressure. many italian GC boyz failed in the tour (cunego,simoni...) its normal

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

malakassis said:
Ricco' said:
malakassis said:
...on the other hand, why not show him the tour? fassa bortolo took basso with 24 years in the 2002 tour. he won the white jersey. as quintana next year will be 26 aru could go for white.

Aru is from the same year of Quintana (1990), he won't be eligible for young rider classification next year.

right lol, didnt think to this. 2016 tour starts on july 2nd. aru will turn 26 on july 3rd. so he has 1 day right for white jersay or what?

btw in the interview with ghisalberti he looks so small like schoolboy. but his legs real climber legs like coppi. he should go tour for sure just without pressure. many italian GC boyz failed in the tour (cunego,simoni...) its normal
Gibo always rode the Giro before the Tour and Cunego was 11th and best young rider after a 4th place in the Giro in 2006 and 7th in 2011, compared to the rest of his career his tour results aren't bad.

I want Aru to win Giro first. Unless Froome or Quintana chrashes out, he don't stand a chance of winning, but podium is very possible. The Tour is another animal... And I dont want to get robbed of a real Landa v Aru faceoff!

Seriously tho, thats one of the more intriguing things this 'offseason'. I also assume Cataldo, Rosa, Tiralongo and LLS will rally around Aru again.

Yeah. I really really want Aru versus Landa!

Nothing else. Just a pure #fightforpink duel between the #newkidsontheblock.

Aru the crown prince of Italian cycling and reigning Vuelta champion against Landa the new mountain rocket. Aru to face off his former pal and babysitter. This time he won't wait for him, anytime.

Seriously if Nibali destroys this, I'm gonna hate him. :D ;)

Jelantik said:
congrats to Fabio. Finally he won his first GT. No offence to Dumoulin, but I would rather see rider like Aru won the mountainous vuelta. Enough with the Wiggins type rider.. again no offense. Just happy to see a searing long range attack in the mountain instead of padding time in ITT. If he is going to be a contender for Giro and tour, he'd better work with his ITT. Chapeau Astana and Fabio!!
The difference is that Dumoulin had no team support and proved to be very strong on the punchy climbs, where he also gained time.
Hopefully he can win a GT in the future.

TRENDING THREADS