• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
He was on an altitude training camp at Sestriere recently. Postet few snaps from it on Instagram.

He ain't gonna show much shape at the Dauphine I guess. It's all about the Tour. Maybe Astana got it right and he's gonna surprise us. Maybe he struggles to eventually archive top 5 spot and jumps on to the Vuelta with full horsepower.
It was a rather long training camp, 22 days. According to La Gazzetta he'll have another short training camp in Sestriere after the Dauphine, he's just there to find his racing legs, so it's probably going to be a bit like 2014 Nibali.

Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:
Surprised by the fact this thread is so dead. Maybe it has something to do with Aru not showing anything so far.

Have anyone heard from him or Astana recently - whats his goals, shape and feeling about the Dauphine? I'd assume he would monster peak for the Tour, but with Nibali on board now, I think he would have to show something now. I very much like Aru and his aggressive nature, I hope he does well.

Nothing to expect in Dauphine, he's there to put km in his legs, I think he'll be somewhere like Nibali in 2014, top ten maybe then monster peak for Le Tour.
I think so too, only that Aru's monster shape will still not be enough to get on the podium if nobody else has bad luck or a completely messed up preparation.
Why so sure about that? I wouldn't discount an Aru podium at all even if some of the 'big' 3' doesn't have bad luck or such. I really do think he is capable of that

Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:
Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:
Surprised by the fact this thread is so dead. Maybe it has something to do with Aru not showing anything so far.

Have anyone heard from him or Astana recently - whats his goals, shape and feeling about the Dauphine? I'd assume he would monster peak for the Tour, but with Nibali on board now, I think he would have to show something now. I very much like Aru and his aggressive nature, I hope he does well.

Nothing to expect in Dauphine, he's there to put km in his legs, I think he'll be somewhere like Nibali in 2014, top ten maybe then monster peak for Le Tour.
I think so too, only that Aru's monster shape will still not be enough to get on the podium if nobody else has bad luck or a completely messed up preparation.
Why so sure about that? I wouldn't discount an Aru podium at all even if some of the 'big' 3' doesn't have bad luck or such. I really do think he is capable of that

Contador was very poor in last year's Giro by his standards, and Aru still finished almost 2 mins down.
Meanwhile this year, there are enough signs to suggest that Contador will be in really good shape by the time the Tour comes.

Therefore, I'd be extremely surprised if Aru podiums without bad luck for the big 3. He certainly has potential, but I think it's a year too early for him to podium

PremierAndrew said:
Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:
Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:

Contador was very poor in last year's Giro by his standards, and Aru still finished almost 2 mins down.
Meanwhile this year, there are enough signs to suggest that Contador will be in really good shape by the time the Tour comes.

Therefore, I'd be extremely surprised if Aru podiums without bad luck for the big 3. He certainly has potential, but I think it's a year too early for him to podium

Aru was weak by his standards too, only Landa (from whom the most of us wouldn't expect nothing compared to what we saw) had a top performance.

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Love this guys fighting spirit and how ugly he looks when he is struggling :D but no way he will finish on the podium. He is like a younger version of Nibali. Fun to watch but not as good as the top guys

Rollthedice said:
Vino attacks everyone said:
Heard Eurosport guys talk about him having some sort of issue, but I can't find anything on it?

Nothing, post race says he's happy to be back after long training, prepares for Le Tour. Now it's anyone's guess if he'll be able to do something next month or fail outside top 5.

Aru won't just be an afterthought come July. He will probably progress steadily in this Dauphine and show something in the last weekend and even if he doesnt and rides anonymously for a top-10 or top-15, its all gucci.

He wont have the level of Froome, Quintana and Contador anyway. Yes he did win the Vuelta against Quintana but it's not really comparable. He will battle Pinot, Porte etc for a top 5 spot and possibly a podium finish if one of the 'big 3' is somehow out of contention

Re:

staubsauger said:
Is it just me or has his development somehow stagnated and already gone slower in 2015 than one would've thought after the 2014 Vuelta!?

Watch out in 3 or 4 years time when Ciccone starts outclimbing him, who is the real Italo-talent :p

But yeah, I understand what you mean. I repeat it waaayy too much but the climbing performance that immediately is brought to mind when I think 'Aru' is that Monte Grappa MTT; could be because in last year's Vuelta he was very consistent is unremarkable in any one stage, and didn't have any memorable attacks or performances mainly because I kind of expected it more. The more I think about it, the more I realise that he was pretty good in last year's Vuelta. It might also be because I watched the Giro more where he was crap.

Brullnux said:
staubsauger said:
Is it just me or has his development somehow stagnated and already gone slower in 2015 than one would've thought after the 2014 Vuelta!?

Watch out in 3 or 4 years time when Ciccone starts outclimbing him, who is the real Italo-talent :p

But yeah, I understand what you mean. I repeat it waaayy too much but the climbing performance that immediately is brought to mind when I think 'Aru' is that Monte Grappa MTT; could be because in last year's Vuelta he was very consistent is unremarkable in any one stage, and didn't have any memorable attacks or performances mainly because I kind of expected it more. The more I think about it, the more I realise that he was pretty good in last year's Vuelta. It might also be because I watched the Giro more where he was crap.

I think that montecampione stage when he put half minute on Quintana was even better
and performance last year stage 11 was pretty nice
but I believe he can battle for top 3 if he will survive nervous first week

Brullnux said:
staubsauger said:

Totally. He just seemed like a complete revelation in the 2014 season, especially on the stage he won in the Giro to Montecamptione and on Monte Grappa. You got the impression that this guy could be really really good like with Contador in the 2007 Tour (although he was a more decorated rider already of course). Now when we are used to seeing Aru in the mix, that revelational feeling of 2014 has faded out a little, I think.

I think the most impressive performance we have ever seen by Aru was really the Monte Grappa MTT 2014. The biggest strength Aru has is that he can suffer a lot and has an amazing finish on mtf's. In Sestriere he could hardly follow Uran, Hesjedal,... on the Finestre, but on the last kilometer he still was able to drop anyone although he was probably the worse climber. Even in the Vuelta last year he only had one stage where he could really gain time, which was the queen stage. On other days where he tried to attack "early" he was always caught again, and the only other stages where he gained time on most gc rivals were stages where he attacked on the last kilometer. This is another example for Aru dropping riders who were actually stronger than him, because in Ermita de Alba (the super steep last mtf of the Vuelta) he always could barely follow the other riders and Landa set a pace which was just not high enough to drop his own leader. But when Purito accelerated on the final kilometer Aru was suddenly strong again, only lost 2 seconds and dropped every other rider.
Said differently, Aru's climbing level last year wasnt really super strong and it didn't really get better since 2014 and considering todays performance in the Dauphine I also doubt it will this year. The problem is that this is just not the level yet to be able to ever win the tdf, and most gc rider are already at least near their top level when they turn 26 (btw, does anyone know if he can still get the white jersey, he turns 26 on stage 2)

Montecampione 2014 he was an outsider. If he pulls exactly the same attack on a TdF stage this year everybody is glued to his wheel.
He probably hasn't improved a lot, but he was very consistent during the Vuelta and he was climbing much better on steep gradients than he had ever done.

His performance in today's prologue is meaningless. He's never done anything in one week races. He's a GT rider and his season will be judged at the end of the TdF.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Pretty unexpected performance in prologue for Aru, but not in positive sense. Vino is surely going to write letter if he already haven't. Letters do miracles when one rides for Astana.

TRENDING THREADS