• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Maybe Aru is one of those Italian riders who are simply not suited for the Tour climbs.
That is quite weird, because in the Giro and the Vuelta he's done best at those longer more regular climbs, with a huge attack in the latter parts of the climb. Mortirolo, Ancares are the climbs where he got destroyed everytime.

Aru is just in crap shape

Aru is still good. He is more suited to the last half of GTs. He is only a minute and half or so behind Froome in yellow. We'll see who can jump on his wheel when Froome and Nairo let him go for a stage or two in the final week. Meanwhile, it looks like Froome and Nairo are dying for a Ventoux rematch.

Re:

Brullnux said:
After stage 2 we could tell it was an in form Aru. The last 4 stages Astana will create hell if he is within 3-4 minutes. May as well. He'll lose time tomorrow, probably not that much and more during the TT and Mont Ventoux. For the MTT he should be less than 3 minutes behind IMO. Maybe 4 if things go worse.

Or not. Less than 4 minutes by stage 14 has to be the target now. Then who knows what can happen with an in form Nibali by your side.

Re: Re:

Vino attacks everyone said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Red Rick said:

Yes, he's not as good as he has been. And the field he is riding against is stronger.
maybe, but in his normal top shape he shouldn't be behin a front group that consists of amongst other Yates and Martin...

Yates and Martin are obviously improving. Can't judge from previous years. The Giro and Vuelta are not the Tour. The Tour is the big race where everyone aims for 100% best form. I suspect Fabio isn't at the level needed to be competitive at the Tour. Bit of a reality check. But he has great recovery I am sure he will get better relative to those others as this Tour goes on.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I expected this collapse already at Aspin or Luchon but it came later.
As he doesnt have many race days and he is off from high altitude camp I think his form will have a strong peak later.
Forzaaaa Aru :)

Code:
Cookster15 said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Red Rick said:

Yes, he's not as good as he has been. And the field he is riding against is stronger.
maybe, but in his normal top shape he shouldn't be behin a front group that consists of amongst other Yates and Martin...

Yates and Martin are obviously improving. Can't judge from previous years. The Giro and Vuelta are not the Tour. The Tour is the big race where everyone aims for 100% best form. I suspect Fabio isn't at the level needed to be competitive at the Tour. Bit of a reality check. But he has great recovery I am sure he will get better relative to those others as this Tour goes on.

The leves he's shown in previous GTs is surely enough to be in the first 10 riders in the peloton of the TdF. Its not close.

Cookster15 said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Red Rick said:

I don't think ther is anything I can say if you actually belive the Aru of the last couple of years in the mountains is a worse climber than say Mollema on a normal day

I don't think ther is anything I can say if you actually belive the Aru of the last couple of years in the mountains is a worse climber than say Mollema on a normal day

But this was not Mollema on a normal day. This was Mollema in peak condition on one of the best days of his career.

It is quite obvious that Aru has not arrived into this Tour with the very best form he has ever produced. It is also quite obvious that the standard of the field is higher than it was in his Vuelta win (big names, but not in peak condition) or in his good Vuelta and Giro placings. Beating Amador and Hesjedal or finishing between Uran and Rolland does not take Tour Podium form.

Zinoviev Letter said:

But this was not Mollema on a normal day. This was Mollema in peak condition on one of the best days of his career.

It is quite obvious that Aru has not arrived into this Tour with the very best form he has ever produced. It is also quite obvious that the standard of the field is higher than it was in his Vuelta win (big names, but not in peak condition) or in his good Vuelta and Giro placings. Beating Amador and Hesjedal or finishing between Uran and Rolland does not take Tour Podium form.

The post was not directed at you, I don't think, because Vino is saying very similar things to you: Aru isn't in top shape.

Brullnux said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

The post was not directed at you, I don't think, because Vino is saying very similar things to you: Aru isn't in top shape.

I wasn't trying to confront an opinion that I thought was "wrong" or targeted at me. I think most in this discussion are aware that Aru is not showing his top ability and also that the Tour field is stronger than that at a Vuelta or Giro. Neither of those things are really controversial. What's being debated is the degree of weight to put on two obviously relevant factors.

Hopefully Aru will ride himself into form and we will get to see where he actually stacks up against these guys.

Aru ain't comfortable with rain anyway so his little lost ain't too worrying so far. We've seen this at last year's Giro as well.

At the 2014 Vuelta he was surprisingly close to the fabulous 4 for a new kid on the block. And that was the first time in his career Aru rode two gt's as a leader.

The worrying trend seems to be that after his rookie performances at Aosta and his major shape improvement from 2013 to 2014 he has stagnated a bit or has had less improvement in 2015 and 2016 than we hoped for 2 years ago. I claimed that already last month.

He might be just fine for Ventoux and the Alps just in time to get on the podium, though. Then everything's gonna be alright and all eyes on the 2017 Giro!

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
bettiniphoto_0254822_1_2000px_670.jpg

Seriously, pal. You should've stayed with the Giro like Gibo. The Tour ain't you're bike race like it never was for Gibo. You already could've been a Giro winner by now. Instead you need a strong fall to save you're season. Otherwise it's gonna be a lost year due to wrong season planning I fear!

Re:

staubsauger said:
Seriously, pal. You should've stayed with the Giro like Gibo. The Tour ain't you're bike race like it never was for Gibo. You already could've been a Giro winner by now. Instead you need a strong fall to save you're season. Otherwise it's gonna be a lost year due to wrong season planning I fear!

One must give it a try you know, not just give up in advance! He is still only 26, so with some TT training, experience and physical maturity he can maybe be a contender.

TRENDING THREADS