• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

jaylew said:
Schmenkie said:
jaylew said:
Disaster season for Astana so far. No wins, no Aru for Giro, no Lopez yet, worst team in WT.
They are not the worst team in WT. They just have had a lot of bad luck and 9 riders of their team were focused on the Giro these last couple of months.

About the "no wins", of course that's not good but they are heavily focussed on the GT's and major classics; they don't even have a decent sprinter.
I'm not saying they have the worst talent or haven't had bad luck with injuries, but they have absolutely been the worst WT team in 2017 so far. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up that way. Getting Superman Lopez back will help.

Worst team of the WT is Dimension Data. Apart from Haas on home turf, what have they done? No GC contender for Paris-Nice/Tirreno/Catalunya/Pais Vasco, EBH was their classics leader but failed miserably on all occasions (Strade, E3, Gent, Ronde, Roubaix) on the final hour of the race, Cavendish out, etc.

Ricco' said:
jaylew said:
Schmenkie said:
jaylew said:
Disaster season for Astana so far. No wins, no Aru for Giro, no Lopez yet, worst team in WT.
They are not the worst team in WT. They just have had a lot of bad luck and 9 riders of their team were focused on the Giro these last couple of months.

About the "no wins", of course that's not good but they are heavily focussed on the GT's and major classics; they don't even have a decent sprinter.
I'm not saying they have the worst talent or haven't had bad luck with injuries, but they have absolutely been the worst WT team in 2017 so far. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up that way. Getting Superman Lopez back will help.

Worst team of the WT is Dimension Data. Apart from Haas on home turf, what have they done? No GC contender for Paris-Nice/Tirreno/Catalunya/Pais Vasco, EBH was their classics leader but failed miserably on all occasions (Strade, E3, Gent, Ronde, Roubaix) on the final hour of the race, Cavendish out, etc.
DD has definitely been bad but they've had a better season than Astana so far. They have 5 wins to Astanas zero, including a WT win and an overall GC. Ok, none of them has been in a really big race, but we're talking about which team has been the worst, so no surprise there :eek:

Astana has a more talented roster without a doubt but they really have nothing to show from their season so far, especially considering their talent. When it's all said and done, I'm sure their season will be much better but right now it just isn't, imo.

Great return to racing, considering that he hasn't raced in three months. If he and Fugslang are on this sort of form next month (and can still hit it out with the big guns) then if they are co-leaders they can put Sky under some pressure. I don't think Fugslang should work for Aru, at least not directly, as just pace setting would be useless against Froome and Sky. A two-pronged approach will be more fruitful imo

Re:

Brullnux said:
Great return to racing, considering that he hasn't raced in three months. If he and Fugslang are on this sort of form next month (and can still hit it out with the big guns) then if they are co-leaders they can put Sky under some pressure. I don't think Fugslang should work for Aru, at least not directly, as just pace setting would be useless against Froome and Sky. A two-pronged approach will be more fruitful imo

That could be the problem for Aru. Going into the Tour under done. Third week may test him. To me Fuglsang might do better over three weeks but they have both done well this week.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm quite pleased to see how Aru form is. It arrives on time just before TDF. Astana with 2 climbers with a great form, I hope they bring the whole armada like Giro 2015. That should make TDF more interesting.

movingtarget said:
Brullnux said:

That could be the problem for Aru. Going into the Tour under done. Third week may test him. To me Fuglsang might do better over three weeks but they have both done well this week.

I would have thought it was the other way around. Going into a race underdone means that it might take you a while to get up to speed, but you will be fresher over the whole of three weeks than riders like Quintana who have been racing a lot.

Aru and Jakob will be a good couple in TdF. Before Dauphine, I would have said Aru definitely has the higher ceiling for this upcoming TdF and therefore definitely should support him over Fuglsang. Now, however, the most sensible would thing to do would be to go into TdF as equals.

I just hoped both of them didn't burn too many matches trying to show themselves off for their team, I have a feeling Fuglsang is a bit better now than he optimally should have been if you want to perform 100% in TdF.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Aru and Jakob will be a good couple in TdF. Before Dauphine, I would have said Aru definitely has the higher ceiling for this upcoming TdF and therefore definitely should support him over Fuglsang. Now, however, the most sensible would thing to do would be to go into TdF as equals.

I just hoped both of them didn't burn too many matches trying to show themselves off for their team, I have a feeling Fuglsang is a bit better now than he optimally should have been if you want to perform 100% in TdF.
Agree 100%.

Aru is back on the map, at the right time. Astana will have a one-two punch that could inflict some serious damage.

SafeBet said:
Blanco said:
He could've pulled a little for Fuglsang today on that last climb, poor team spirit from Aru
Total nonsense. Making Froome work was the only thing to do, and ultimately proved as a very sensible choice.

I don't know... Agree that making Froome work was the crucial thing, but if Aru pulled couple of times I think it would made greater benefit than harm. But the thing that bothers me with Aru is that he's not a team player, he would never sacrifice for a teammate, he proved that with Landa in 2015. Astana looks good for the Tour, with Fuglsang and Aru they have 2 good options, but if Fuglsang emerges as the stronger I'm quite sure Aru won't help him. And I'm also quite sure that Fuglsang will help him if the situation is reversed.

Blanco said:
SafeBet said:
Blanco said:
He could've pulled a little for Fuglsang today on that last climb, poor team spirit from Aru
Total nonsense. Making Froome work was the only thing to do, and ultimately proved as a very sensible choice.

I don't know... Agree that making Froome work was the crucial thing, but if Aru pulled couple of times I think it would made greater benefit than harm. But the thing that bothers me with Aru is that he's not a team player, he would never sacrifice for a teammate, he proved that with Landa in 2015. Astana looks good for the Tour, with Fuglsang and Aru they have 2 good options, but if Fuglsang emerges as the stronger I'm quite sure Aru won't help him. And I'm also quite sure that Fuglsang will help him if the situation is reversed.

He sacrificed himself completely for Nibali at the Olympics last year.

Blanco said:
SafeBet said:
Blanco said:

I completely disagree

I think Aru rode incredibly loyally, the last 3 days, after it was clear Fuglsang was stronger.

His attacks were clearly designed to make Froome and Porte work, and when Fuglsang attacked, he only ever went to the front, when he could make a clean getaway.... it was kinda like when Valverde works for Quintana, with a slightly egotistical agenda ;)

- and I'm saying all this as a strong Fuglsang supporter and as a dane :)

I think they worked very well together.

Does anyone know who might be going to the tour otherwise for Astana?

I know Jesper Hansen and Valgren are slotted as Fuglsang helpers.... I'm wondering if Cataldo and Kangert are going, now that the team suddenly has real contenders?

My guess is
Aru, Fugl
Valgren, Hansen, Lutsenko, Moser, Gruzdev, Chernetckii
then maybe Lopez will be added depending on tour de Suisse
That makes it 9 right ? If Lopez doesn't make it i could see Vino sticking another kazakh in the 9

Cataldo did the giro so doubt it and Kangert is injured...

TRENDING THREADS