• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Disappointing performance today and will have to dig deep to get onto the podium.

Maybe he can hitch onto the Sky train, avoid losing time, and maybe not do too bad in the time trial. 2nd/3rd is possible through attrition.

Not sure what else he can do at this point.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
If he can at least ST with Bardet and Uran he still has a shot at the podium.

Too early to pack your bags and go home.
Don't get me wrong, I believe even a top5 would be a very good result for him considering how his career was shaping out not longer than 2 months ago.
I'm just a bit worried about his consistency, his prep was not ideal for sure.

Perhaps he could be even better in the Vuelta if he rides it.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

SafeBet said:
DanielSong39 said:
If he can at least ST with Bardet and Uran he still has a shot at the podium.

Too early to pack your bags and go home.
Don't get me wrong, I believe even a top5 would be a very good result for him considering how his career was shaping out not longer than 2 months ago.
I'm just a bit worried about his consistency, his prep was not ideal for sure.

Perhaps he could be even better in the Vuelta if he rides it.
He said that he'll ride the Vuelta, that could be a nice team, Aru, Birdsong and Miguel Lopez.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site

movingtarget said:
yaco said:
Aru is suffering from a lack of race miles - Little racing since the end of March.

Yes he was racing well with fresh legs but the lack of training miles may be hurting him in the third week.
The very same arguments are used to explain why Froome is peaking later in the Tour -- third week

wouterkaas said:
The very same arguments are used to explain why Froome is peaking later in the Tour -- third week
There's a difference.
Froome has specifically trained to peak later into the Tour and hold it long enough to be competitive at the Vuelta.

Aru targeted the Giro, got injured, couldn't train for weeks and tried to prepare for the Tour in whatever time was left.

Not comparable.

I guess he's missing some sharpness for the intensity of racing tempo. That's why Rasmussen always used to do the Giro prior to the Tour. He mainly hanged around at the end of the field but then used the mountains for some intervals at race tempo. That was the big difference to Aru who prefers much training, little racing as well. But chicken obviously knew how to avoid missing sharpness due to lack of race miles.

TRENDING THREADS