Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2013
3,340
0
0
Not sure about him. Think he is strong enough to win but not sure he has the final nerve, tactical nouse and team to do it.
 
Re:

mrhender said:
Not sure about him. Think he is strong enough to win but not sure he has the final nerve, tactical nouse and team to do it.
I think tactically he is fairly sound, and has shown himself to be as well in the past. But I am dubious of his strength to regain another minute at least in three stages (one which deosn't suit Aru at all) before the TT. His team is quite poor too (because of misfortune).
 
Since Im in Italy and always have kinda liked Aru, I will cheer for him, but I didn't like his racing today so I have a little mixed feelings about the whole maglia gialla or however you spell it down here. Will have to show me some in the Alps
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Since Im in Italy and always have kinda liked Aru, I will cheer for him, but I didn't like his racing today so I have a little mixed feelings about the whole maglia gialla or however you spell it down here. Will have to show me some in the Alps
Who would you rather have in yellow?
 
Re: Re:

bob.a.feet said:
Valv.Piti said:
Since Im in Italy and always have kinda liked Aru, I will cheer for him, but I didn't like his racing today so I have a little mixed feelings about the whole maglia gialla or however you spell it down here. Will have to show me some in the Alps
Who would you rather have in yellow?
I dunno, Urán could be mightily fun. Don't you think?
 
Jun 25, 2015
1,700
0
0
A good ride: he shows his strength following the hard attacked of froome and finally the others.
Anyway, he could have tried something in the last climb bit it was very difficult to go alone.
 
Superb ride from him today really.

Isolated extremely early but did good work to close the gaps he really had to, stayed on top of his rivals and managed to make the most of others doing work against their immediate rivals. Very savvy defensive ride for someone without that much experience of being in the position
 
Re:

Matteo. said:
A good ride: he shows his strength following the hard attacked of froome and finally the others.
Anyway, he could have tried something in the last climb bit it was very difficult to go alone.
Kwiatkowski and other would've chased him. Would've been pointless energy waste.
 
Jun 25, 2015
1,700
0
0
Re:

Forever The Best said:
He needs to gain time, not defend his 6 seconds lead. Should've attacked today.
It was objectively complicated to get to the finish line with nearly 30 km of fast descent.
Yes, he could have tried an attack to test the opponents but there was little to do in my opinion.
Now he will have to try everything possible between galibier and izoard, hoping he'll keep the shape of these days
 
Re: Re:

Matteo. said:
Forever The Best said:
He needs to gain time, not defend his 6 seconds lead. Should've attacked today.
It was objectively complicated to get to the finish line with nearly 30 km of fast descent.
Yes, he could have tried an attack to test the opponents but there was little to do in my opinion.
Now he will have to try everything possible between galibier and izoard, hoping he'll keep the shape of these days
He has no choice now and teams are not going to continue chasing for him. Yesterday it just worked out because of who was in the front group and even Froome had to be wary of Landa. The race becomes more difficult for him now tactically and without Fuglsang.
 
Jun 25, 2015
1,700
0
0
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Matteo. said:
Forever The Best said:
He needs to gain time, not defend his 6 seconds lead. Should've attacked today.
It was objectively complicated to get to the finish line with nearly 30 km of fast descent.
Yes, he could have tried an attack to test the opponents but there was little to do in my opinion.
Now he will have to try everything possible between galibier and izoard, hoping he'll keep the shape of these days
He has no choice now and teams are not going to continue chasing for him. Yesterday it just worked out because of who was in the front group and even Froome had to be wary of Landa. The race becomes more difficult for him now tactically and without Fuglsang.
He is in the hands of bardet and AG2R, he must hope that from now on they want (and have the strength) to keep the race closed.
For absurd a little help could coming even from froome: yesterday proved boss that he is and wants to win. Maybe he will not leave much freedom to landa
 
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
the stage design sucks. Nobody could do anything especially not a guy without a team
No one could do anything, except the four riders who went up the road and gained two minutes? Stage design could have been better with the final climb closer to the finish but how did it suck? You know who sucked? Astana.
 
Looking back, Aru's injury just before the Giro was potentially an incredible stroke of luck. On this year's Giro course, I really don't think there was any stopping Dumoulin bar maybe the presence of a top form Froome, and it certainly didn't suit Aru. Meanwhile, in this year's Tour, he's showing on the right course, he's almost as good as anyone in the peloton
 
Apr 15, 2016
179
0
0
4 riders within 35 seconds yet some actually think it's up to only Astana to control the race ? do people actually think Sky/AG2R/Cannondale are going to let Quintana go up the road again and just watch because they're not in yellow ?
 
Re:

red zone said:
4 riders within 35 seconds yet some actually think it's up to only Astana to control the race ? do people actually think Sky/AG2R/Cannondale are going to let Quintana go up the road again and just watch because they're not in yellow ?
If they find themselves in that position, they've already lost. They should be joining those moves, not chasing them down.
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
red zone said:
4 riders within 35 seconds yet some actually think it's up to only Astana to control the race ? do people actually think Sky/AG2R/Cannondale are going to let Quintana go up the road again and just watch because they're not in yellow ?
If they find themselves in that position, they've already lost. They should be joining those moves, not chasing them down.
Indeed. Froome is still like the leader with that TT coming up. If Landa, Quintana and Contador go on CdF; Aru, Bardet and Uran should leave Froome all the pacemaking on the valley and try to drop him with everything on Telegraphe/Galibier.
 
Apr 15, 2016
179
0
0
Re: Re:

Forever The Best said:
Red Rick said:
red zone said:
4 riders within 35 seconds yet some actually think it's up to only Astana to control the race ? do people actually think Sky/AG2R/Cannondale are going to let Quintana go up the road again and just watch because they're not in yellow ?
If they find themselves in that position, they've already lost. They should be joining those moves, not chasing them down.
Indeed. Froome is still like the leader with that TT coming up. If Landa, Quintana and Contador go on CdF; Aru, Bardet and Uran should leave Froome all the pacemaking on the valley and try to drop him with everything on Telegraphe/Galibier.
I agree , it doesn't matter if Aru has the yellow at this time since the goal has to be to put more time into Froome with a TT left . The good thing is the rest of the contenders don't have to deal with the unwritten rule of waiting for the leader every time Froome feels like taking a break since he isn't in yellow .
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY