• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Salvarani said:
Tour and then maybe Vuelta would be best for him I think.

Giro with the ITTs and the guys going there, the Tour might not be a bad idea for him. Send him, Martin and Gaviria there. Takes the pressure of him too a bit.
Having decent support for both Martin and Gaviria on the same team is already tricky. Aru himself said that the Tour suits him better (he's right) and if I was running UAE I'd make Dan Martin the offer to give him a team that is all about him for Giro-Vuelta, give him Ravasi, Conti, Polanc, Durasek, 2 rouleurs and let him pick one of Ulissi, Henao or Rui Costa.
Let Aru focus a bit more about shorter stage races and send him to the Tour with a team that is mainly about Gaviria + Laengen and one of Ulissi, Henao or Rui Costa for the mountains, he'd have rather limited climbing support, but a good team for the TTT and with those kind of mountain stages and the Sky train you don't need a super strong climbing team, unless you actually want to beat Sky, but that won't be his big Goal.
Still, the team has changed coaches, doctors and DS, they've got rid of many of the old Lampre guys, so the team could actually improve.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Salvarani said:
Tour and then maybe Vuelta would be best for him I think.

Giro with the ITTs and the guys going there, the Tour might not be a bad idea for him. Send him, Martin and Gaviria there. Takes the pressure of him too a bit.
Having decent support for both Martin and Gaviria on the same team is already tricky. Aru himself said that the Tour suits him better (he's right) and if I was running UAE I'd make Dan Martin the offer to give him a team that is all about him for Giro-Vuelta, give him Ravasi, Conti, Polanc, Durasek, 2 rouleurs and let him pick one of Ulissi, Henao or Rui Costa.
Let Aru focus a bit more about shorter stage races and send him to the Tour with a team that is mainly about Gaviria + Laengen and one of Ulissi, Henao or Rui Costa for the mountains, he'd have rather limited climbing support, but a good team for the TTT and with those kind of mountain stages and the Sky train you don't need a super strong climbing team, unless you actually want to beat Sky, but that won't be his big Goal.
Still, the team has changed coaches, doctors and DS, they've got rid of many of the old Lampre guys, so the team could actually improve.

Yeah, kinda agree with what your saying honestly.

All depends if Martin would be fine going to the Giro though, instead of the Tour. I understand that one of Martin and Aru will probably most likely be at the Giro. Or could it be a team centered around Gaviria? Or is it already set in stone he will be going to the Tour? Where does Kristoff fit in? Could Costa or Henao get a leadership role?

The thing is, I can't see Martin and Aru both going to the tour as 100% either Gaviria or Kristoff are going there as well and with 8 men teams having 5 helpers for 3 leaders would be a nightmare. So I'd be really surprised if neither Martin nor Aru go to Italy in May

Re:

Red Rick said:
I'm not even sure the Dan Martin knows the Giro exists. He started it once but that one day TTT race in Ireland was the worst idea ever for him.

There's an 8th place with Dan Martin's name on it.
Yeah but if Aru goes to the tour, and a sprinter goes to the tour what is Martin gonna do? If Aru really doesn't want to go to the giro the most sensible option would probably to send Martin there. He could even still go to the tour but as a stage hunter, something I think he would actually be really good at as he has a really good punch which means he can be competitive both from breaks and on hilly finishes (which for once there actually are some in this tour).
That said in general I still think sending Aru to his home fans would make more sense, just searching for any sensible options for UAE in case Aru really skips the giro

Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
I'm not even sure the Dan Martin knows the Giro exists. He started it once but that one day TTT race in Ireland was the worst idea ever for him.

There's an 8th place with Dan Martin's name on it.
Yeah but if Aru goes to the tour, and a sprinter goes to the tour what is Martin gonna do? If Aru really doesn't want to go to the giro the most sensible option would probably to send Martin there. He could even still go to the tour but as a stage hunter, something I think he would actually be really good at as he has a really good punch which means he can be competitive both from breaks and on hilly finishes (which for once there actually are some in this tour).
That said in general I still think sending Aru to his home fans would make more sense, just searching for any sensible options for UAE in case Aru really skips the giro
Aru skipping the Giro just makes no sense whatsoever. Same for Dan Martin to the Giro. They need Dan Martin for the Ardennes

There's just not one possible positive about switching them around. Sure you could go hunt stages in the Giro. I mean, if you can't win Giro stages with Ulissi you're doing something wrong.

Aru was (not is) like the Black Album: very good but way overrated ;) .

Astana, Astana...nuff said. Aru is Pozzo, not Nibali (Astana too - I giggle). Golden age Astana was interesting, but all that glitters is NOT gold, Stairway to Heaven, Led Zep better than Metallica and its Black Album. Aru.

...not talking about Sky :) .

And by the way. Pinot better than Aru is no debate anymore. That has been a thorn in my side for years as the #1 fanboy. I hope I get Thibaut's black bike shipped to me by the way. I took a lot of shiite and never waivered.

Back to Aru. He can still win some races, but GT: nope. He'd better do a post-ban Virenque quest for KOM glory. but really he's done. He won a GT...as a wannabe great rider I would sign for it. But it's over.

Tonton said:
Aru is Pozzo, not Nibali
Aru is not Nibali, but he's not Pozzovivo either.

Pozzovivo is a very consistent rider who is basically never good enough to win anything (at high level).
Aru is an incredibly inconsistent rider who can win races when in peak shape.

Also, Pozzovivo got better and better with age. Aru went the opposite way.

I think Aru should go back to the basics, ride an easier schedule and focus on different goals throughout the season (perhaps some one day races too). I wouldn't mind him signing for a team like Bardiani and see what happens to his career.

I think it's quite the opposite. I don't think Aru will excel at leading a lower level team, I think he'll do better as a secondary leader at a team with a better infrastructure than UAE.

Seriously nobody at UAE performed up to standards last year, except for Dan Martin in the Tour.

Looking at the field that is going to the Giro and the route. Is it really a good idea to send Aru there though?

I feel like building confidence in the beginning of the season with one-week races and then going to the Tour would be the best for him. Sending Aru and Martin I think could work. They could be co-leaders. With Gaviria for the sprints.

Gaviria probably knows he not gonna have a great sprint-train this year. He only need 1-2 or two guys that could drag him to the front and then get on the wheel of someone else. That still leave the spot for Henao/Costa as a helper and one or two rouleurs.

A team looking like: Aru, Martin, Gaviria, Sutherland, Henao, Costa, Laengen and I guess the 8th spot is up for grabs.

I do think if both Aru and Martin would go to Tour. Henao probably could get the leadership role in the Giro. With Ulissi going there also. Kristoff. Polanc. Conti.

The Giro team wouldnt be bad if neither of them would go there...

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Salvarani said:
Looking at the field that is going to the Giro and the route. Is it really a good idea to send Aru there though?

I feel like building confidence in the beginning of the season with one-week races and then going to the Tour would be the best for him. Sending Aru and Martin I think could work. They could be co-leaders. With Gaviria for the sprints.

Gaviria probably knows he not gonna have a great sprint-train this year. He only need 1-2 or two guys that could drag him to the front and then get on the wheel of someone else. That still leave the spot for Henao/Costa as a helper and one or two rouleurs.

A team looking like: Aru, Martin, Gaviria, Sutherland, Henao, Costa, Laengen and I guess the 8th spot is up for grabs.

I do think if both Aru and Martin would go to Tour. Henao probably could get the leadership role in the Giro. With Ulissi going there also. Kristoff. Polanc. Conti.

Aru himself said that the Tour suits him better than the Giro, so having one week stage races as his main target and riding the Tour would be him.
In the end Dan Martin is the one rider who actually performed last year, so I'd make him an offer? Do you want to ride the Tour, with limited support durning the mountain stages, Laengen and Henao, and a team that also has Gaviria on it and could perform pretty well in the TTT, or are you willing to ride Giro+Vuelta as the undisputed team leader with a climbing heavy team that is all about supporting you?
Even if they pay him a lot of money, I don't think that Aru will be the main focus, Dan Martin and Gaviria should be above him, probably also Kristoff.

Mayomaniac said:
Salvarani said:

Aru himself said that the Tour suits him better than the Giro, so having one week stage races as his main target and riding the Tour would be him.
In the end Dan Martin is the one rider who actually performed last year, so I'd make him an offer? Do you want to ride the Tour, with limited support durning the mountain stages, Laengen and Henao, and a team that also has Gaviria on it and could perform pretty well in the TTT, or are you willing to ride Giro+Vuelta as the undisputed team leader with a climbing heavy team that is all about supporting you?
Even if they pay him a lot of money, I don't think that Aru will be the main focus, Dan Martin and Gaviria should be above him, probably also Kristoff.

I agree with that.

I guess it depends on how much they believe in Aru and if they see him staying for many years at the team. If last year was just a bad year. He gonna have to prove himself.

Is this his 2018 face or the one for 2019?

Du3eDenWkAA82Fp.jpg:large

:lol:

movingtarget said:
GuyIncognito said:
I get the feeling we're looking at a sardinian Anton and the calendar is turning to 2012

Doubt he will be as ineffective as Anton was post Vuelta abandon when Nibali won. Even Aru's recent results have been better than Anton's were. Aru has been disappointing but not at Anton's level.

Antón won on Zoncolan in a straight-up GC battle after his crash (before 2012, though).

He has only one year below top level. He had changed the team, and in UAE almost every rider hasn't reached his potential. I would not cross him out, He should focus on Giro in first half of the year but main goal should be the Vuelta.

Re:

yaco said:
Should just be riding the Vuelta - See if he get his form back in one week stage races.

Going Giro might not be a bad thing, if only just to race it. Home race, supporters etc.

With the ITTs he wont be among the top favorites. He can fly under the radar a bit. If he shows up as Aru from 3-4 years ago, he will still have a pretty good chance for a high placing on the GC. Maybe even 1 or 2 stage victories. (best case scenario)

If Gaviria and Martin is on for Tour. He dont really have a choice than to try, and probably racing the Vuelta too.

Salvarani said:
yaco said:
Should just be riding the Vuelta - See if he get his form back in one week stage races.

Going Giro might not be a bad thing, if only just to race it. Home race, supporters etc.

With the ITTs he wont be among the top favorites. He can fly under the radar a bit. If he shows up as Aru from 3-4 years ago, he will still have a pretty good chance for a high placing on the GC. Maybe even 1 or 2 stage victories. (best case scenario)

If Gaviria and Martin is on for Tour. He dont really have a choice than to try, and probably racing the Vuelta too.

It doesn't help that the Giro route doesn't suit either Aru or Martin - Hope UAE doesn't fall into the trap of making Martin ride the Vuelta - he was nearly as bad as Porte.

TRENDING THREADS