• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Jakobsen thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In the rest of the world, Groenewegen was never that popular, neither was he popular in the peloton prior to the accident, and i think that won't have improved after the accident.

Do you have some secret Dutch/Belgian insider knowledge? To me Groenewegen just seemed like one of those guys who were neither super popular, nor super unpopular.

Anyway; I've seen several cases of talk about how Jakobsen is "finally" making his comeback. Meanwhile, I'm just sitting over here like; "He's back only seven months after that? That's impressive!"

Do you have some secret Dutch/Belgian insider knowledge? To me Groenewegen just seemed like one of those guys who were neither super popular, nor super unpopular.

Anyway; I've seen several cases of talk about how Jakobsen is "finally" making his comeback. Meanwhile, I'm just sitting over here like; "He's back only seven months after that? That's impressive!"
So what exactly are you disagreeing with, or do you find hard to believe of what i'm saying. I said he was never that popular, then you say he was not super popular. Sorry if i should have said "super" popular? I didn't say the whole world hates his guts and hopes he shrivels and dies alone.

His comments about him never working for an other rider, they should be working for him (paraphrasing), and him not caring unless he can win, aren't exactly things that make you popular with a lot of people. And i'm sure the accident didn't help.

I highly doubt that. I think in the Netherlands, most will be cheering for Groenewegen when he comes back. In the rest of the world, Groenewegen was never that popular, neither was he popular in the peloton prior to the accident, and i think that won't have improved after the accident.
The amount of people who defended Groenewegen over here has been crazy to me. Press literally crying about double standard after every irregular sprint now.

Literally the only reason I see is Groenwegen being the established sprinter with Tour stage wins in the eyes of July fans/riding for a Dutch team. Can't imagine it would've been the same if roles had been reversed.

The amount of people who defended Groenewegen over here has been crazy to me. Press literally crying about double standard after every irregular sprint now.

Literally the only reason I see is Groenwegen being the established sprinter with Tour stage wins in the eyes of July fans/riding for a Dutch team. Can't imagine it would've been the same if roles had been reversed.
And how many of those weren't Dutch? I know sites like Wielerflits were a fckng cesspool, and all the crazies come out to vent in cases like that. People like to complain a lot more than they like to express contentment. It's the same with online reviews. Go to a good hotel, restaurant, movie... only a small percentage bothers to write a review. When it was a bad experience, everybody wants to share and complain. For me this seems like something similar. It's all anecdotal ofcourse, both ways. But i find it hard to believe that people across the globe would be cheering harder for Groenewegen than Jakobsen.

Reactions: Sandisfan
And how many of those weren't Dutch? I know sites like Wielerflits were a fckng cesspool, and all the crazies come out to vent in cases like that. People like to complain a lot more than they like to express contentment. It's the same with online reviews. Go to a good hotel, restaurant, movie... only a small percentage bothers to write a review. When it was a bad experience, everybody wants to share and complain. For me this seems like something similar. It's all anecdotal ofcourse, both ways. But i find it hard to believe that people across the globe would be cheering harder for Groenewegen than Jakobsen.
I was specifically talking about the Dutch. I honestly haven't read anything from sources in English that goes either way. Think Dutch cycling fans/media are stupendously chauvinist, but I can't really decide if we are more so than other countries.

His comments about him never working for an other rider, they should be working for him (paraphrasing), and him not caring unless he can win, aren't exactly things that make you popular with a lot of people. And i'm sure the accident didn't help.

He made comments like that?
Anyway, I'm sure the peloton will be welcoming Groenewegen back just fine, because they all understand that he never meant for that to happen.

e5d69614-99e8-11eb-b07d-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

I was specifically talking about the Dutch. I honestly haven't read anything from sources in English that goes either way. Think Dutch cycling fans/media are stupendously chauvinist, but I can't really decide if we are more so than other countries.
Chauvinism has it's extremists in every country, surely. Other than the Dutch, the English and the Belgians can be pretty insufferable as well. Following Sporza's Facebook page and reading the comments has been an eye-opener, same goes for BBC Sport.

Chauvinism has it's extremists in every country, surely. Other than the Dutch, the English and the Belgians can be pretty insufferable as well. Following Sporza's Facebook page and reading the comments has been an eye-opener, same goes for BBC Sport.
I think I can tolerate the Flemish for GTs because they've never had a really relevenat GC rider up until Evenepoel.

• Wow
Best wins (with video) according to Sporza:

Very interesting, and a very stupid move by Groenewegen to even mention their conversation if they agreed not to.

Its the kind of publicity that both riders do not need at the moment. But Groenewegen definitely does not need it. Especially since Jakobsen mentions that Groenewegen has not offered any apology at all.

Groenewegen did mention that he didn't want to talk about the specific content of the conversation. However, it seems Jakobsen didn't want the fact that they had a conversation to be made public at ALL.
Also... Groenewegen did apologise, in public, did take responsibility, in public, so why couldn't he say it in private, to Jakobsen? Harder when faced directly with the consequences of his actions?

Groenewegen did mention that he didn't want to talk about the specific content of the conversation. However, it seems Jakobsen didn't want the fact that they had a conversation to be made public at ALL.
Also... Groenewegen did apologise, in public, did take responsibility, in public, so why couldn't he say it in private, to Jakobsen? Harder when faced directly with the consequences of his actions?
Exactly. Groenewegen said and I quote: "We sat opposite each other in a small room in Amsterdam. We both got to unburden our hearts a bit. It was a nice conversation, but I prefer to keep the content to myself."

Fabio has said more things about this conversation in his tweets in response to Groenewegen than Groenewegen himself

Last edited:
Exactly. Groenewegen said and I quote: "We sat opposite each other in a small room in Amsterdam. We both got to unburden our hearts a bit. It was a nice conversation, but I prefer to keep the content to myself."

And that's all very good. But the healing process has to happen at Jakobsen's pace. The meeting couldn't have happened until Jakobsen was ready, and if Jakobsen didn't want the fact that they had a meeting to be made public at all, then Groenewegen shouldn't even have mentioned it.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Exactly. People are reacting on twitter that DG can't apologise because it would be a confession of guilt and he would have to pay the damages. That makes no sense when he already apologised publicly on national television. This looks more like he just wants a good public image instead of that he really feels sorry for what he did.

Exactly. People are reacting on twitter that DG can't apologise because it would be a confession of guilt and he would have to pay the damages. That makes no sense when he already apologised publicly on national television. This looks more like he just wants a good public image instead of that he really feels sorry for what he did.

I was thinking more the opposite. That when faced directly with the consequences of his actions (literally Jakobsen's face), the guilt might have been too much... and he couldn't get the words out that Jakobsen needed to hear, and he needed to say.
Until Groenewegen is able to look at Jakobsen, and tell him he's sorry, there can never be true healing, for either of them.