• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

fantasy doping draft

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
don't know if anyone would be interested in this but thought it might be a fun game.

basically the goal of the game would be to create the best possible 9 man squad with riders from the "EPO era" until the present time. Then we would argue which team would perform best in a grand tour.

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Nice pick with US Postal. ;)

However, these guys might give them a run for their money (as a team) and at least provide a good spectacle:

Tony Rominger
Ivan Basso
Richard Virenque
Marco Pantani
Johan Mueseuw
Moreno Argentin
Cedric Vasseur
Jackie Durand
Jens Voigt

Remember - too many cooks spoil the broth. My choices are based on performances that look a little too good to be true (Rominger, as an example, looks to have responded brilliantly to dope, and when it was taken away, went back to being a Top 50 GC rider).

Edit: Removed Merckx because I ended up getting carried away with looking through history. Silly me.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
guys you misunderstand. What I mean is that people will pick one rider each until the teams are filled up so everyone will have unique teams.

This one could also be posted in the "changing the business model of pro cycling" thread :rolleyes:

Bradley Wiggins
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Richie Porte
Christopher Froome
Mark Cavendish
Bernard Eisel
Michael Rogers
Kanstantsin Sioutsou
Christian Knees

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'am going national on this one

Michael Rasmussen
Jesper Skibby
Bjarne Riis
Rolf Sørensen
Bo Hamburger
Brian Holm
Kim Andersen
Jakob Fuglsang
-Someone fill in no 9 for me :)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Posting lists is no fun.

The way a draft works is that people declare whether they want to play or not. Then a draft format is decided and the list of players randomised. The first guy gets to pick first and writes some entertaining paragraphs as to why he picked the rider he did and how he is going to contribute. Then it's the second guy's turn, and this continues until everyone has a full GT Tour.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Posting lists is no fun.

The way a draft works is that people declare whether they want to play or not. Then a draft format is decided and the list of players randomised. The first guy gets to pick first and writes some entertaining paragraphs as to why he picked the rider he did and how he is going to contribute. Then it's the second guy's turn, and this continues until everyone has a full GT Tour.

yes that's exactly what I was thinking about. So whatever team you end up with should ideally be something that can dominate all kinds of terrain and also have a super strong leader who can win the GC.

well, if there is any interest in this we can figure out hte rules and then start playing.

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Sean Kelly, the Man for all season's. Tough as nails. Hard as granite. Hungry for success. Never say die attitude. Dedicated to the last. The first man to turn up for training, the last to leave, one of the greatest all rounders in the history of the sport.

Re: Re:

the sceptic said:
SeriousSam said:
Posting lists is no fun.

yes that's exactly what I was thinking about. So whatever team you end up with should ideally be something that can dominate all kinds of terrain and also have a super strong leader who can win the GC.

well, if there is any interest in this we can figure out hte rules and then start playing.

What are the rules?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I think riders should be picked based on their peak GT performance. So for instance if you pick Horner you'll take the 2013 vuelta version.

Any rider from the 90s until the present time can be picked. Everyone is free to compose their team however they want. (i.e. you can use Wiggins as a bottle carrier but then your team chemistry is going to suffer)

Need to decide on what the hypothetical GT would be like. Maybe the best thing would be to use one of the best and most balanced real life GTs but I don't know which one would be best.

Draft order should be 1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1 etc depending on how many people are playing.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Well, I'm in on this anyway. I would happily take a draft. Take it the order will be randomized.

yup, I guess we should try to get as many as possible in before starting since it will be more fun with say 10-15 teams.

TRENDING THREADS