• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favorite Jersey/Kit vs. Worst

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
This one's on the podium for worst for me - Amaya ~1991

lale1.jpg

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Saw a guy wearing a boonen world champs jersey, after a quick chat I found out he wasn't a boonen fan and it was a gag gift from someone. I thought it was cool he wore it. He is not Tom Boonen, I know he's not Tom Boonen, anyone else who knows enough about cycling to recognize the jersey knows he's not tom Boonen, to anyone else it's another cycling jersey...go nuts. The one I don't like is guys wearing full replica kit, sometimes down to the bike, Fairly rare I'll admit, and I don't know why it bothers me.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Never got the appeal of wanting to buy a national champions' jersey - I think you should only be able to wear them unless you actually are national champion.

FdJ make the best current jersey IMO

2009_francaise_des_jeux_jersey_250.jpg

This thread is not about who has the right to wear certain kits. And with all due respect, if the kit is for sale, and you can afford it, and you like it, it's yours to wear. Passing judgement on riders who like to wear pro kit is a monumentally inappropriate, not to mention silly, waste of time.:) g'day.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
joe_papp said:
I don't know if it at all goes ANY way towards making it more acceptable for you, but I have the 2009 Boonen kit, + the 2008 champ of Belgium kit - and it is very nice. I, too, never would have even considered wearing a natl champion's strip w/o being a natl champ when racing, but after all that's happened since 2006, I realize that life is short and I'm going to wear the kit that I want to wear when training - especially when it's MARKETED to me by the teams and their sponsors.

So GO FOR IT! Contact Martha at nonstopciclismo.com and tell her I sent you. They'll take good care of you.

AGREE! If you're RACING, hold off on the championship garb. But when training, or just plain leisurely riding, wear what you like. Be an individual, express yourself. Don't worry about what people you don't even know think about you. They don't know you, and any criticism for what you choose to wear, is extremely prejudiced garbage, to be taken with a grain of salt. :)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
It goes far and away against my normal postion regarding that kind of thing (I agree with you luckyboy about the only wear it if you haved earned it thing regarding national kit), but having looked at that link from Joe I really want that Boonen kit. Like really. And I can never be National Champion of Belgium. Right? Please say thats right? :eek:

I love that kit too, and I ain't embarrassed to wear it either!
e1pn7.jpg

However, I have gotten an S-works SL3 since.:D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Is that Stijn Devolder's girlfriend in the Quick Step jersey ?!

I really like AG2R's jersey from this season and from last season as well. I think they have the best kit in the pro peloton these days.

AG2R-LA-MONDIALE-2010-maillot-court-face_v.jpg

Modern but still classy and simple, not so overloaded as Saxo Bank's for example.

One of this season's worst:

04ff17d572.jpg

No offence to all Americans, plus I like George Hincapie too, I just think this is over the top! Same as Pozzato's Italian flag on his ****.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
HL2037 said:
The maillot du combiné is this for the rider who leads both points, mountain and GC competition?
There was a combined classement for the three competitions. I think it was based on the placings in the three such that you'lld have 10 points if you're 1 in GC, 4 in KOM and 5 in the points classification (the sum of the placings) and the rider with the fewest points leads.