• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Gigs_98 said:
DNP-Old said:
Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:
Points jersey is not a goal for him. He wants to win at least three stages though.

Well it seems that winning one will be a task for him, let alone three...
:eek:
Say what you want but he was incredibly lucky today. He was one of only two sprinters in the group and the other one couldn't sprint because of richeze
Being alert, being in good position and therefore being in the first group isn't luck.
Being in the first group during crosswinds either means that you are very good at positioning yourself or that you are riding for QS. Do you think any sprinter in this field wouldn't have been in the first group if he was riding for QS.

Gigs_98 said:
DNP-Old said:
Gigs_98 said:
DNP-Old said:
Mr.White said:
Well it seems that winning one will be a task for him, let alone three...
:eek:
Say what you want but he was incredibly lucky today. He was one of only two sprinters in the group and the other one couldn't sprint because of richeze
Being alert, being in good position and therefore being in the first group isn't luck.
Being in the first group during crosswinds either means that you are very good at positioning yourself or that you are riding for QS. Do you think any sprinter in this field wouldn't have been in the first group if he was riding for QS.
Ah, so he was lucky he signed for Quick Step years ago, duly noted. Please. If you want to play the ''luck'' card, say something about Greipel having a mechanical or something. But calling one lucky for being in good position or for the team he is on, is hilarious and odd.

DNP-Old said:
Ah, so he was lucky he signed for Quick Step years ago, duly noted. Please. If you want to play the ''luck'' card, say something about Greipel having a mechanical or something. But calling one lucky for being in good position or for the team he is on, is hilarious and odd.
Oh c'mon. Do you mean this seriously? Ofc it's not a coincidence that he is in this team, but when I write he was lucky today I'm not talking about stuff, like that he signed for a specific team, which happened years ago. You acted as if Mr.White wrote nonsense when he claimed that it would be difficult for Gaviria to even win one stage, which was 100% reasonable considering he was pretty bad in the first two sprint stages, so I defended Mr.Whites post since Gaviria probably wasn't the strongest rider but still won because there was only one other sprinter in his group, and that other sprinter couldn't even sprint because of a douche move by Gavirias teammate. Then I didn't even say that he was lucky to be in the front group, just that other sprinters weren't in his group (which kind of includes the Greipel incident so no idea why you brought that up). And about positioning, as I said he was in this position because of his team and not because he positioned himself so well.

Edit: I don't really know why I even have to justify what I wrote

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

Jspear said:
Akuryo said:
Who knows, Lefevere still hasn't secured sponsoring for next year. And even if he does, will he pay two sprinters? He likes to win everywhere and not just sprints. Gaviria AND Kittel may be too expensive for the rest of the team.

If that's the case, I wouldn't let Gav go. He's so young and can get even better.

Indeed. This would be a no brainer.

Pennino said:
Jspear said:
Akuryo said:
Who knows, Lefevere still hasn't secured sponsoring for next year. And even if he does, will he pay two sprinters? He likes to win everywhere and not just sprints. Gaviria AND Kittel may be too expensive for the rest of the team.

If that's the case, I wouldn't let Gav go. He's so young and can get even better.

Of course the targeted man in that scenario would be Gaviria. I just meant to say that it is not that unlikely to see both of them at the Tour next year. Maybe, cause there is no Quickstep or maybe, cause there will be no Kittel at Quickstep. ;)

Re:

Akuryo said:

Kittel is the pure sprinter while Gaviria will be just as good in the classics as in sprinting. They are different riders.

Pennino said:
Jspear said:
Akuryo said:

If the team exist next year, it is with Gav.

http://www.wielerkrant.be/nl/nieuws/lees/2017-03-30/belangrijk-contractnieuws-van-een-van-de-raspaardjes-van-quick-step-floors-is-een-feit

For Fernando Gaviria the Flemish cycling year is on. The Colombian returned to his home country to attend the Round of Italy.

But meanwhile there are also other news about Quick Step Floors fast man. If the team of Patrick Lefevere continues, this will happen with the top talent. That is what Het Nieuwsblad reports Thursday. Lefevere and Gaviria achieved a principle agreement in the meantime.

The Belgian formation still doubted Gaviria's participation in the Driedaagse De Panne - Koksijde, but eventually decided not to do so. The 22-year-old boy won two rides in Argentina this season, a ride in Portugal and one in Tirreno Adriatico.

yaco said:
Akuryo said:

Kittel is the pure sprinter while Gaviria will be just as good in the classics as in sprinting. They are different riders.

Sure, but Kittel was a bargain, cause he wanted to go away from Giant at the end of 2015. That was the main reason QS got him and send Cav away. They are (in flat sprints) almost equally good but Kittel was a lot cheaper. That contract is set to expire now. Can or will Lefevere keep a one trick pony when you have Gaviria, who potentially can do it all?

Also Gaviria is still riding on his neo-pro contract this year. So to keep them both Quickstep would have to give both a (massive) raise. I just don't think they can afford both in 2018.

Akuryo said:
yaco said:
Akuryo said:

Sure, but Kittel was a bargain, cause he wanted to go away from Giant at the end of 2015. That was the main reason QS got him and send Cav away. They are (in flat sprints) almost equally good but Kittel was a lot cheaper. That contract is set to expire now. Can or will Lefevere keep a one trick pony when you have Gaviria, who potentially can do it all?

Also Gaviria is still riding on his neo-pro contract this year. So to keep them both Quickstep would have to give both a (massive) raise. I just don't think they can afford both in 2018.

Of course finances will play a factor as well as LeFevre finding new sponsorship. Kittel is not quite a one trick pony as he was part of ES winning TT squad at the 2016 World Championship's - What could change things is if QS continue to put more resources into GC aspirations with riders like Jungels and Martin.