• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

armchairclimber said:
I don't like that he sat up yesterday. Don't these riders realise that there are important Velogames and CQ points at stake?

Maybe he couldn't afford himself on his fantasy team...

But it was weird for someone who wants to win the points competition. Which I think he has said? Or has he just said that he wants to finish the race?

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Re:

armchairclimber said:
I don't like that he sat up yesterday. Don't these riders realise that there are important Velogames and CQ points at stake?
It's always frustrating to see riders who doesn't go full gas for 15th place. As you said, it's like they don't even know. Or worse, they don't care. :Neutral:

I really wanted to see a full effort from Gaviria. Saving yourself for a couple of meters will surely not have a big impact in the following three weeks. Revenge for him today? The climb seems pretty though.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
I think he just didn't have the legs to contest the sprint, rather than sitting up. Maybe he could have gone a bit harder, but didn't want to absolutely bury himself sprinting for minor positions with two more potential stages to come - inlcuding a tough one today for sprinters.

Yesterday was the first time he's finished a race for about six weeks, so he's bound to be a bit rusty, and all the hard accelerations and nervous racing on the first slightly rolling day of a GT could be difficult. I'm sure he'll ride into form sooner rather than later; although, the way this Giro is backloaded, I guess there's a chance he could end up peaking too late in the race.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
armchairclimber said:
I think he just didn't have the legs to contest the sprint, rather than sitting up. Maybe he could have gone a bit harder, but didn't want to absolutely bury himself sprinting for minor positions with two more potential stages to come - inlcuding a tough one today for sprinters.

Yesterday was the first time he's finished a race for about six weeks, so he's bound to be a bit rusty, and all the hard accelerations and nervous racing on the first slightly rolling day of a GT could be difficult. I'm sure he'll ride into form sooner rather than later; although, the way this Giro is backloaded, I guess there's a chance he could end up peaking too late in the race.

He definitely sat up. Don't blame him to be honest. He was only going for minor placing by then and looked a tad frustrated. He did have to come from way back. Ewan is looking very sharp at the moment though .... and into a headwind he has a distinct advantage.

armchairclimber said:
DFA123 said:
armchairclimber said:

He definitely sat up. Don't blame him to be honest. He was only going for minor placing by then and looked a tad frustrated. He did have to come from way back. Ewan is looking very sharp at the moment though .... and into a headwind he has a distinct advantage.
Yeah, but did he sit up because he was frustrated, or because he just didn't have the legs at that point? I think the latter. He's going for the points jersey here, so would surely have sprinted for places if he had anything left in the tank.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
Points jersey is not a goal for him. He wants to win at least three stages though.
Interesting, seems a bit weird to target three stage wins and not go for the points jersey when you are one of the best sprinters at climbing. Do you have a link that? Would be interested to read more about his objectives.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm very disappointed with him. He is a guy that normally climbs very well for a sprinter but yesterday his heart rate at 40 km, to the finish line, was very high (more than 180, this is very high even for a young talent who could possibly reach 200 in a maximum effort).

Re:

portugal11 said:
I'm very disappointed with him. He is a guy that normally climbs very well for a sprinter but yesterday his heart rate at 40 km, to the finish line, was very high (more than 180, this is very high even for a young talent who could possibly reach 200 in a maximum effort).

It's true but he could also have a maximal heart rate of 210. We don't know and the pulse data really aren't that interesting when maximal rates aren't provided because of the relatively high standard deviation on the parameter.

Re:

portugal11 said:
Yeah, I noticed that as well. It looks a bit concerning; but also kind of to be expected for his first proper race in such a long time. Also, for all his potential and quality, winning yesterday would arguably have been the biggest victory of his career - a GT stage plus taking the maglia rosa. Only Paris-Tours perhaps eclipses that. So he's still really lacking experience on these occasions and may have wasted a lot of nervous energy earlier in the day. A lot of pressure on him as well having a great lead-out train and knowing that he really has to make the most of the opportunities in this first week.

DFA123 said:
DNP-Old said:
Points jersey is not a goal for him. He wants to win at least three stages though.
Interesting, seems a bit weird to target three stage wins and not go for the points jersey when you are one of the best sprinters at climbing. Do you have a link that? Would be interested to read more about his objectives.
It's two different articles. The one where he says he isn't thinking about the points jersey is on QSI official website.

The 22-year-old, who moved this season to Italy, the country which witnessed his maiden World Tour victory, continued: "I've trained at home in the past weeks, the condition is there and I'm very motivated. Racing a Grand Tour is a big chance and I'm very excited about it, and at the same time grateful to the team for this opportunity. People have asked me about winning the points jersey, but I'm not thinking of it. My real goal is to arrive in Milan and finish the race."
http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/gaviria-and-jungels-ready-for-the-giro-d-italia/3139

He didn't exactly nor literally say he wants to win three stages. However, he did say he wanted at least 7 victories by the end of the Giro, because he'll have the same amount of racedays as he did in the whole of last season, when he had 7 in total. He has four victories now, thus three stages. I can't remember nor find the interview in which he said it, it was very early in the year.

DNP-Old said:
DFA123 said:
DNP-Old said:
It's two different articles. The one where he says he isn't thinking about the points jersey is on QSI official website.

The 22-year-old, who moved this season to Italy, the country which witnessed his maiden World Tour victory, continued: "I've trained at home in the past weeks, the condition is there and I'm very motivated. Racing a Grand Tour is a big chance and I'm very excited about it, and at the same time grateful to the team for this opportunity. People have asked me about winning the points jersey, but I'm not thinking of it. My real goal is to arrive in Milan and finish the race."
http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/gaviria-and-jungels-ready-for-the-giro-d-italia/3139

He didn't exactly nor literally say he wants to win three stages. However, he did say he wanted at least 7 victories by the end of the Giro, because he'll have the same amount of racedays as he did in the whole of last season, when he had 7 in total. He has four victories now, thus three stages. I can't remember nor find the interview in which he said it, it was very early in the year.
Cool, thanks for that. I think finishing the race is a good goal as well. Completing a GT as tough as this one will really bring his base up to a new level in stage races for next year.

I think three wins will be very difficult based on today though. He'll probably have to target the easier medium mountain stages because he doesn't quite have the top speed of Greipel or Ewan it seems.

Re:

portugal11 said:
I don't see the logic in finishing this race... the third week has zero sprint stages...
I think it's the long game. Nothing takes your aerobic condition to a new level and builds a great base for the next season, like riding the full three weeks of a GT.

What's to gain by pulling him out mid way through? They don't need him at the Tour, and, at this stage of his career he needs to be continuing to develop as a top level rider in high level, high speed races, not picking up a handful of cheap wins in minor races.

C_O5gqPXcAAbQae.jpg

Gigs_98 said:
DNP-Old said:
Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:

Well it seems that winning one will be a task for him, let alone three...
:eek:
Say what you want but he was incredibly lucky today. He was one of only two sprinters in the group and the other one couldn't sprint because of richeze
Being alert, being in good position and therefore being in the first group isn't luck.

Gigs_98 said:
DNP-Old said:
Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:

Say what you want but he was incredibly lucky today. He was one of only two sprinters in the group and the other one couldn't sprint because of richeze

Smart riding and good legs=lucky now? :eek:

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

DNP-Old said:
Gigs_98 said:
DNP-Old said:
Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:

Being alert, being in good position and therefore being in the first group isn't luck.

You mean being on a radio ;) It was his team that made the selection, of course he was in good position. Kudos for the win, but this one goes for his team completely.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

jmdirt said:
Gigs_98 said:
DNP-Old said:
Mr.White said:
DNP-Old said:

Smart riding and good legs=lucky now? :eek:

No, people taking it too far. He was lucky though Richeze shut down Jungels however in the final km. That was a totally unnecessary move.

TRENDING THREADS