• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
He's too hard on himself. I don't see why he feels he has to quit track unless he wants to focus fully on road racing. He is clearly a very talented track racer.
He's been done with track cycling for quite some time. Just bored of it. Rumor has it he rather would have skipped the Worlds back in March.

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Jspear said:
In a nutshell what is he saying?
Long story short: He failed, period. Others were better. No-one else to blame but him.

To RMC he said:
- He had no problems on or off the track
- His preparation was fine
- Young age compared to others not a factor
- This was his last big race on the track
- Time for other, younger riders to take his place
- Likely won't ride Vuelta and is going to prepare for the Worlds in Qatar

Thanks!

Re: Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Jspear said:
Valv.Piti said:
That means no Belgian opening weekend, I had hoped to see him in Kuurne. Easy, peasy win.

In a hard race Sagan is definitely an equal. No easy win at Kuurne.
At this stage of Gaviria's development, this is an absurd comparison.

I don't follow? Is Sagan so much better that we shouldn't compare them? Are they such different riders that we shouldn't compare them? Is one to young to compare to the other?

I stated what I said based on the fact that Sagan is one of the fast guys who will be competing in KBK. If Gaviria was to race in KBK, then we could compare him to anyone else trying to win KBK.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
I don't think he has a chance in the nationals. too hilly.
I agree, I don't see why he wants to come over so bad. I mean, I admire his courage and I'll take any 'European' rider to come and race the nationals because it decreases the chance of yet another Roldan, Chalapud or Avila, but he's not even close to being an outsider me thinks.

Great interview on CN today. Some quotes I liked:

"I saw that my bike was first over the line, so I knew I’d won but then I actually said sorry to Peter because I didn’t work on the descent. I don’t usually race negatively like that but we had Niki up front. We decided to play an extra card with Niki and that forced Sagan to respond and so use a bit of energy.

I like that attitude. He is not your typical sprinter, but his team and his top end speed is his advantages on Sagan. And it will be on Saturday as well.

"When you ride against a rider as strong as Sagan there’s nothing that is in your favour. Peter’s so strong that he could attack on the Poggio and win alone," he warned.

Clearly a lot of respect for Sagan and its mutual from Sagan who said Gaviria simply was stronger.

So that's what they were chatting about after the finish line! I thought it was somewhat unusual that the winner and the defeated one would chat so casually like that just after finishing but Sagan is probably so relaxed at the moment after his so many successes recently that he does not mind being defeated from time to time as long as the winner played it fair which seems to be the case here. I can't wait for all their future battles and just hope Gaviria develops into real attacking rider and not just mere sprint option for QS.

Re:

PeterB said:
So that's what they were chatting about after the finish line! I thought it was somewhat unusual that the winner and the defeated one would chat so casually like that just after finishing but Sagan is probably so relaxed at the moment after his so many successes recently that he does not mind being defeated from time to time as long as the winner played it fair which seems to be the case here. I can't wait for all their future battles and just hope Gaviria develops into real attacking rider and not just mere sprint option for QS.
Cause both are some of the classiest and most talented riders in the world. Embrace the Sagan/Gaviria era - and GVA when its a little more difficult. :p

TRENDING THREADS