• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Don't know if todays race was a good sign for the future. He showed that he can get over hills but his sprint really suffered from the hard racing. Said differently, he might have difficulties winning a sprint in MSR and RVV and PR are even harder.
This valv piti. I'm sure that in normal conditions gaviria is a better sprinter than sagan but after a hard race? I would put my money on sagan. Just look to doha 2016, sagan beat the best sprinter of all times (in my opinion, at least on palmares) in a "mano a mano". How many times did sagan beat cav in a bunch sprint? Fatigue is really important in these sprints on classics

Re:

Today's race was too long for him, and couldn't handle it physiologically. He was not patient enough. Yet he did the most difficult thing: he stayed with the best in the final sprint. He's a potential winner.
Squire said:
That Gaviria actually managed 8th in the sprint after all those moves in the last 4km was quite impressive. He only faded in the last couple of hundred meters, he was actually moving up with about 400-300 to go. Cort, in comparison, just died completely when he was caught, and he hadn't been making the efforts that Gav did.

Gigs_98 said:
Don't know if todays race was a good sign for the future. He showed that he can get over hills but his sprint really suffered from the hard racing. Said differently, he might have difficulties winning a sprint in MSR and RVV and PR are even harder.

He's raced MSR twice. Once he crashed while 4th wheel in the final 500m. Second time, he finished 2nd to Kristoff in the bunch sprint for 4th, 5 seconds behind the break. I think it's pretty clear that he can win MSR some day. The attributes to win Roubaix or Flanders are a different matter altogether, of course.

portugal11 said:
Gigs_98 said:
This valv piti. I'm sure that in normal conditions gaviria is a better sprinter than sagan but after a hard race? I would put my money on sagan. Just look to doha 2016, sagan beat the best sprinter of all times (in my opinion, at least on palmares) in a "mano a mano". How many times did sagan beat cav in a bunch sprint? Fatigue is really important in these sprints on classics

In Doha 16, the sprinter you mentioned had his line blocked, and still managed 2nd. So Sagan didn't out sprint him

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
del1962 said:
portugal11 said:
Gigs_98 said:

In Doha 16, the sprinter you mentioned had his line blocked, and still managed 2nd. So Sagan didn't out sprint him

Part of sprinting is choosing your lines so you don't get boxed in. Cav had Blythe's wheel, which turned out to be the right one, and went off of it. That's on him.

Just noticed the article on the front page from yesterday. His 3 goals for next year: Flanders, Roubaix and the Tour. Not really a surprise since Roubaix is the race he wants to win the most. He had some decent results on cobbles so far even though he never raced the two big ones. And at the Tour we will finally see Kittel vs. Gaviria. They've been teammates for the last 2 years so never competed against each other.

Don't really know to what extent sprints are a reflection of aerobic form for sprinters. Guess we'll see a lot in the next cobbled season. I have my doubts. He's very durable for how fast he is but I think he lacks some of the raw power and rouleur abilities for the cobbled classics.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Don't really know to what extent sprints are a reflection of aerobic form for sprinters.
Sprinting in China, probably not much, but sprints in the opening week in the north of France probably is a lot more. Its just not that tho, watching the WCRR he just raced incredibly stupid. Form definitely there and I think he has that kind of stamina. And when he has that kind of shape, like in the middle of the Giro, he just seems one level above everyone. Only Kittel can beat him in a dragrace at that point

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Don't really know to what extent sprints are a reflection of aerobic form for sprinters.
Sprinting in China, probably not much, but sprints in the opening week in the north of France probably is a lot more. Its just not that tho, watching the WCRR he just raced incredibly stupid. Form definitely there and I think he has that kind of stamina. And when he has that kind of shape, like in the middle of the Giro, he just seems one level above everyone. Only Kittel can beat him in a dragrace at that point
It's actually pretty crazy for Kittel that he's the best sprinter in the world and he has to leave the team because there's a younger and way more versatile competitor in the same team.

Gonna be interesting what happens. Don't think we've seen Kittel and Gaviria go head to head, and Gaviria will most certainly have the better leadout the majority of the time.

As for the classics, he's still very young for that and he will likely get stronger still.

One thing that may be a pain for him though is that he's Colombian and that he'll likely have a somewhat weak team on any Worlds course that suits him.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
It's actually pretty crazy for Kittel that he's the best sprinter in the world and he has to leave the team because there's a younger and way more versatile competitor in the same team.

Gonna be interesting what happens. Don't think we've seen Kittel and Gaviria go head to head, and Gaviria will most certainly have the better leadout the majority of the time.

As for the classics, he's still very young for that and he will likely get stronger still.

One thing that may be a pain for him though is that he's Colombian and that he'll likely have a somewhat weak team on any Worlds course that suits him
Most of the recent wins were with weak teams ;)

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

One thing that may be a pain for him though is that he's Colombian and that he'll likely have a somewhat weak team on any Worlds course that suits him.
He'll only have a weak team because there is a coach in place who is chronically drunk and has no idea what he's doing. If he did his job properly, selecting riders who fit the terrain, the team around him won't be much of an issue. Besides, the current world champion managed to pull it of thrice while practically being on his own.

"I am excited and eager to ride the cobbled classics, races for which I have a deep love. Then, in the second part of the season, I want to be 100% fit for the Tour de France."

Sounds good! I also cannot stress enough how big Brian Holm is on Fernando. He is constantly raving about him, whether it is on podcasts, interviews, twitter or whatever. The guy is certain that he is as good as Sagan, or at least will be. But this should be the season where he really announces himself as a world class rider.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
"I am excited and eager to ride the cobbled classics, races for which I have a deep love. Then, in the second part of the season, I want to be 100% fit for the Tour de France."

Sounds good! I also cannot stress enough how big Brian Holm is on Fernando. He is constantly raving about him, whether it is on podcasts, interviews, twitter or whatever. The guy is certain that he is as good as Sagan, or at least will be. But this should be the season where he really announces himself as a world class rider.

It'd be amazing to see Gaviria becoming more than a sprinter, even if his success has come from that discipline, I believe is the right approach for him to be more versatile by pushing his skills to the next level. :)

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Holm uses to say that Sagan doesn't come anywhere near Gaviria. Which is ridiculous - or maybe he has just forgotten Sagan as a 20 year old...

Escarabajo said:
Valv.Piti said:
San Juan, Nacionales, Colombia Oro Y Paz, Milán-San Remo, Tour de Flandes, París-Roubaix, Tour de California, Tour de Suiza y Tour de Francia

I expect him to add HN, KBK, TA and 2 of E-3, G-W and DDV. Many good duels with Sagan, it looks like..
I guess they are putting great confidence in him.

Yes, but the pressure won't be too immense imo. They've got phil gil who no doubt will be the top priority. Gav will be able to learn the ropes and do as well as possible without the pressure....great situation to be in.

Jspear said:
Escarabajo said:
Valv.Piti said:
San Juan, Nacionales, Colombia Oro Y Paz, Milán-San Remo, Tour de Flandes, París-Roubaix, Tour de California, Tour de Suiza y Tour de Francia

I expect him to add HN, KBK, TA and 2 of E-3, G-W and DDV. Many good duels with Sagan, it looks like..
I guess they are putting great confidence in him.

Yes, but the pressure won't be too immense imo. They've got phil gil who no doubt will be the top priority. Gav will be able to learn the ropes and do as well as possible without the pressure....great situation to be in.
Exactly,

There's Gilbert, Stybar, Lampaert, Terpstra,... Gaviria doesn't HAVE to score in these races.
It's going to be weird to see a Colombian in the finale of the Holy Week.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

Holm uses to say that Sagan doesn't come anywhere near Gaviria. Which is ridiculous - or maybe he has just forgotten Sagan as a 20 year old...
Indeed. Just compare Sagan's season in '12 to Gaviria's last year. Some similarities, but Sagan's clearly a level above. Same as the respective seasons before.

TRENDING THREADS