• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Of course Sagan had better debut.

Not counting the 6km prologue, he won the first stage (just like Gaviria), then the third (just like Gaviria, not counting TTT), then the sixth and Green for overall.

Not to mention, that he finished the damn race..:))

Gorecki said:
Of course Sagan had better debut.

Not counting the 6km prologue, he won the first stage (just like Gaviria), then the third (just like Gaviria, not counting TTT), then the sixth and Green for overall.

Not to mention, that he finished the damn race..:))

And participated in breaks in the mountains (he would even have one one stage in the Alps if he hadn't been eating while Luis León attacked).

There's just no competition whatsoever.

By the way: he was two years younger than Gaviria now.

Apparently, he had a hissy fit when he left the race. A Danish mechanic working for the team told Danish TV that he had been pretty aggressive, childish and angry and seemed to be a bit surprised by his behaviour. Unfortunately, he didn't go into specifics because the interviewer didn't let him speak and gave him some ridiculous question relating to something irrelevant.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Apparently, he had a hissy fit when he left the race. A Danish mechanic working for the team told Danish TV that he had been pretty aggressive, childish and angry and seemed to be a bit surprised by his behaviour. Unfortunately, he didn't go into specifics because the interviewer didn't let him speak and gave him some ridiculous question relating to something irrelevant.

Sounds a bit like Cav, should have a great career ahead of him

DNP-Old said:
Screecher said:
DNP-Old said:
Screecher said:
DNP-Old said:
Him not doing his interviews in English really got to you, huh?
And you´re still butthurt about it, huh? Calm down, i kinda like the guy, but i really expected him to survive the mountains, so that was a bit of a shock.
I don't really care, I just find it funny. He suffered from the heat. Normally, he's one of the best climbing sprinters out there and makes the time cut in his sleep. That said, no matter how you try to spin it, he'll always be the best TDF debutant in the past 41 years.
What about Sagan in 2012? Fernando had a great debut but Sagan won 3 stages and the green jersey in his debut.
Fernando Gaviria Rendon did not miss his debut in the Tour de France. With two victories in three sprint chances, the Colombian rider of Quick-Step Floors can present nice results.

His figures are even so good that Gaviria is the best debutant in the Tour in 41 years. For the past 4 decades, no single debutant could win two of the three stages in line. The team time trial of Monday is of course not added.

The last rider to do that was Dietrich 'Didi' Thurau in 1977. The German also won two of the first three runs in line.
Wait, what? Best debutant in 41 years? Lmao!

I am amazed that how DNP-Old found such a ridiculously specific statistic to make Gaviria the GOAT, lmao indeed. Considering that he loves his colombian riders, that's not such a surprise.

Also, I would like to show my favorite ridiculously specific statistic comparison:

Fox-Sports-Indiana-Graphic-832x447.jpg

Thaddeus Young has a fairly long and quite mediocre career, and the other 4 guys are absolute legends in the NBA. Also, they are all in top 6-7 in terms of the GOAT discussion.

Re:

tobydawq said:

Lefevre said Gaviria abandoned because he doesn't know how to suffer yet.

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Screecher said:
hazaran said:
Haha, nobody told you it doesn't count if you don't finish? Disgrace, taking track sprinters and chauffeuring them to the line, then they drop out already in the second week.
I don't think there's anything wrong with being a "track sprinter". There's a reason why there are no mountains in the first week you know... so that guys like them have a chance for a good result. It makes the sport that much more enjoyable having all these riders who all ride a road bike but have very different characteristics, strengths and weaknesses.

there is nothing wrong with "track sprinters" .... and there is no rule that a rider get's stripped of his stage results, if he (voluntarily or based on time loss) doesn't finish the entire tour (Mario Cipollini would have been stripped of all his 12 stage wins at le Tour) ... but it hardly makes you the best debutante ever or in the past 41 years. if you win two stages thanks to an perfect train of your team (I am not contesting, that Gaviria indeed is an excellent finisher) and then can't meet the time in the second really hard mountain stage ....

Apr 8, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone seen any reports on how the injury is healing? Gaviria was supposed to race Tour de Suisse, but he wasn't part of the squad UAE presented today. Is Tour de France in danger?

Apr 8, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone heard anything about the knee injury he got in the Giro? He was supposed to race Tour de Suisse, but he was not present in the team UAE presented yesterday.

WSJ article about Gaviria's two positive cases. Let's hope he comes back!
There was a lot of speculation about re-infections but in general some of the young people just thought that they were immune to Covid twice. Unfortunately he was one of the first infected in the middle east and then coming back many months after the first infection he found out the cruel reality of mutations of the virus. Which was expected anyway. I guess depends on your personality, but in this case he does not have anybody else to blame but himself. It really set him back dramatically because, he was without competitive cycling more than one year. That was like a doping ban almost if we considered that he endured injuries during 2019. Now we see the urgency in him trying to perform anyway he can. I see him coming back to the top in the future again.

TRENDING THREADS