• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Filippo Ganna Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ganna truly is the Robert Strong of this years Giro, Sky's CATASTROPHIC Plan B.

'Mr Murdoch we have reanimated the corpse of Sir Chris of Israel like you asked, but this time even more powerful and more marketable.'

Give it a year, they will have this guy front and centre on a big PR campaign, banging on about how they made special bedsheets for him and embraced novel concepts such as Having people on the side of the road handing him energy gels(tm)

Reactions: Andy262
He showed today that he can replicate his San Juan performances in a World Tour level.
I would prefer him to focus in the cobbled classics in the next years (besides TTs) but there is clearly some GT potential.

Some GT potential yes. We will see how it unfolds the rest of the Giro to see how much. Good showing thus far

For anyone interested, Pippo was recently interviewed on IG and talked about his future as a GT rider.

He finished the Giro weighing 81,5 kg which is an all time low for him since turning pro and he said it'd be very hard to shed more kilos without losing strength. He's concerned that trying to become a GT rider will make him lose his elite time trialing so at the moment he doesn't think it's a viable option.

As winner of Paris-Roubaix Espoirs I hope he would rather go for the cobbles. And even with this weight he can clearly climb well enough to win a lot. I'm curious how good his sprint is?
Absolutely no idea.

I guess the Olympics will be a big priority next year, but I hope he will start races like Roubaix as well.
Yes he has stated Olympics will be his main goal for next season (I guess both on track and ITT).
Riding a few cobble races won't do any harm to his preparation.

Reactions: Pricey_sky
I think that he should focus on Paris-Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, Tokyo Olympics and Milano-Sanremo.
Then maybe a Tour de France when ASO decides to start with an ITT, so that he can aim for the yellow jersey at the start.
Finally, who knows...depending on the routes he could also aim for the World Champion title given his power and strength.
I am very skeptical about the possibility of becoming a GT rider...a lot to gain but also a lot to loose.

Reactions: richwallone
If the Giro organzisers have any brain we will se two 50km flat TTs in every Giro. Ganna is a gift from heaven and if they don`t take it would simply be crazy.
I thought about that as well, would be stupid not to include at least two ITTs every year that Ganna realistically can win (that means no mountain time trials). If you're going with the +50 km stuff, you're basically putting your eggs in the GC-basket which is still too early (not that he cant win those obviously, but would make more sense just to do the stuff they did this year).

This dude can win so many stages in the Giro if the RCS wants him to. Just bait him with at least two winnable time trials and he'll basically just sweep unless Remco shows up lmao.

I thought about that as well, would be stupid not to include at least two ITTs every year that Ganna realistically can win (that means no mountain time trials). If you're going with the +50 km stuff, you're basically putting your eggs in the GC-basket which is still too early (not that he cant win those obviously, but would make more sense just to do the stuff they did this year).

This dude can win so many stages in the Giro if the RCS wants him to. Just bait him with at least two winnable time trials and he'll basically just sweep unless Remco shows up lmao.
Remco attaining ever more mythical status

• Haha
Reactions: jnormanroach
The "problem" im Tokyo is that only the team pursuit and not the individual one is an Olympic discipline. While Italy has a strong team they are not a favourite for gold, the third place is possible. Still, Denmark, the UK, Australia and NZ are all at a really high level.
Could he do both track and the ITT? I know that the route is on the harder side and not perfect for him, but still.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
The "problem" im Tokyo is that only the team pursuit and not the individual one is an Olympic discipline. While Italy has a strong team they are not a favourite for gold, the third place is possible. Still, Denmark, the UK, Australia and NZ are all at a really high level.
Could he do both track and the ITT? I know that the route is on the harder side and not perfect for him, but still.
Surely Ganna has a much better shot at OG than Nibali. Yeah I'm sad too but Ganna's viabilty for the raod race shouldn't affect him for the ITT. Surely he can be of use in the early hours.

Also surely there are 3 guys that can sit in Ganna's wheel for 4km?

Viviani obviously takes the iTA spot in the omnium and pairs with Consonni in the madison. I guess Ganna could stand in as the derny in the keirin races and then just ride eight laps on his own to take gold.

o_O My abdomen clinched when I read "Filippo Ganna positive...", I was glad that it was C19. I didn't want the rainbow stripes to be dirty so I was glad that he had a potentially deadly disease? What is wrong with me?!

I hope that he recovers quickly, and then has a nice training season!

Reactions: BlueRoads

TRENDING THREADS