• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

First American to win Paris Roubaix

Which US rider has the best shot to win Paris Roubaix in their career

• Quinn Simmons

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Matteo Jorgenson

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Neilson Powless

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Luke Lamperti

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Magnus Sheffield

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • AJ August

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Colby Simmons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will never happen before the ice caps melt and submerge Northern France

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Keegan Swenson

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Justin "Vino" Williams

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
Having recently watched old video of the 2005 Paris Roubaix where Hincapie finished 2nd behind a youthful Boonen, and not having seen any American do much in a cobbled classic ever since, I miss having a homeland hero to root for in the best races on the calendar.

The current crop of talent seems at least a little more suited to classics racing than the second rate GC drones that the US generated in the post Lance era. A man can dream...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well yeah, we have to bank on an unforeseen improvement or some luck. Not many would have predicted Backstedt, Colbrelli or Van Summeren winning, especially not if you asked the question when said rider was a neopro.
I don’t think Colbrelli was that much of a surprise as he had become a much more powerful classics rider. And his victory was nowhere near as surprising as Van Summeran’s.

as for current US riders, is Jorgenson not suited to pave?

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don’t think Colbrelli was that much of a surprise as he had become a much more powerful classics rider. And his victory was nowhere near as surprising as Van Summeran’s.

as for current US riders, is Jorgenson not suited to pave?
He won it at the age of 31. We're judging these guys who are 21 or so years old. Did anyone predict Colbrelli would win PR when he was 21? And honestly his one day palmares aside from PR are very far from flat and cobbled. I still think that win was a rabbit out of a hat...

Jorgenson did PR once and my recollection is that he said that was enough tries for him. But I'm hoping he'll come back for more eventually.

We haven't seen Powless ride Roubaix yet. He probably won't be able to win it, but he could possibly podium on a great day. The same goes for Jorgenson, since he's obviously raised his level since his last attempt, and Sheffield should also be able to get a good result if he gets it right.

We'll have to wait and see with the young guns + the older Simmons, while Swenson and Vino Williams probably won't ever get to ride it, although Swenson might get a ride with EF at some point.

If we look at all American riders, Chloé Dygert probably has as good a chance of winning as any of these riders, if she can be healthy and in form for the race, which could prove an issue. Megan Jastrab could potentially also do well in the future.

He won it at the age of 31. We're judging these guys who are 21 or so years old. Did anyone predict Colbrelli would win PR when he was 21? And honestly his one day palmares aside from PR are very far from flat and cobbled. I still think that win was a rabbit out of a hat...

Jorgenson did PR once and my recollection is that he said that was enough tries for him. But I'm hoping he'll come back for more eventually.
I was just responding about Colbrelli because you brought him up as a surprise winner, not because he did well as a young gun. I said he was not a surprise like Van Summeran because that spring prior to PR he was something like 6th at KBK, 8 at Sam Remo, at 4th at Gent.

Certainly hard to beat Vansummeren when it comes to surprise factor.

Okay, sure, but Vansummeren had featured in the finale of the race before. Two years before, he crashed just before the Carrefour de l'Arbre (if my memory is not playing tricks with me) when he was in the winning 6-man group with Boonen, Pozzato, Hushovd and two others.

Colbrelli had never participated before but on the other hand, he had been absolutely on fire in the months leading up to the race.