• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

First blood passport cheats to go down ? Top riders named ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
The International Cycling Union UCI will announce the first violators of its blood passport programme prior to the Giro d'Italia, which begins on May 9.
Riders were suspected of suspicious blood values as early as a year ago, but so far no action has been taken.
The proceedings need to be bullet-proof to avoid a setback. "With the first case we need to be absolutely sure," UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani told The Guardian. "We need to be sure we can defend ourselves in a court, so it has to be safe, reliable. The [anti-doping] experts are working on it, but also the legal department. But before the Giro I expect the first [doping] cases to be confirmed."
The announcement could stir up cycling once again ahead of the first Grand Tour of the year, as top riders are rumoured to be among the suspects

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I doubt they will have any kind of big "bust" this year... Cycling has suffered way to damn much.

I wish total blood volume was part of the testing... But that would bust the entire top 10 or 100 depending on how many they tested. LOL that wont happen.

I will place a big bet that no one on the teams that look like they have been protected will be named. It will be some poor SOBs who don't belong to teams that have paid $500K to the UCI. I do not trust the UCI one bit.

If the passport system were legit then it would have already resulted in lots of positives for testosterone. They would have seen variations in riders' T:TE ratios and then targeted riders for carbon isotope ratio testing whether or not the T:TE ratios were within the allowed limit.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If the passport system were legit then it would have already resulted in lots of positives for testosterone. They would have seen variations in riders' T:TE ratios and then targeted riders for carbon isotope ratio testing whether or not the T:TE ratios were within the allowed limit.

They dont even need to use testosterone... They can just use corticotropin (Adrenocorticotropic hormone) like synacthen, and then HGH.

They dont even need IGF-1, they get it all with HGH. Lots of them still have corticoid TUIs too.

I will place a big bet that no one on the teams that look like they have been protected will be named.

No bets from me. As much as I still think some riders dope and will do anything to win, the UCI is on thin ice themselves, and not immune to influence, at all.

I'm not certain, but isn't testosterone not on the list of biological passport testing?

There's a lot more the passport could cover, especially when looking long term (like, beyond one season) not only hemoglobin (blood volume) but wattage outputs could be tracked. Again, this would have to be long term, like a profile with a 18 month lead in as a base per rider. But it could be done.

What exactly is the punishment for violations here? Are these two-year bans?

The other problem is that it's going to be very difficult to track various types of gene doping (which may be here already) without very long profiles. Repoxygen, stem-cell gene doping, these forms of doping, which are very likely starting to filter into athletics already, are the real problems of the future, and very serious ones at that. Not only because of their potential large benefits, but because of serious long-term health hazards.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I do believe Princeton intends on developing a test for Repoxygen, epo is almost done I think.

But LeMond's ideas at Lance's press party in Las Vegas were very very intuitive>>

If they started tracking power files RIGHT NOW they could perhaps catch them when they blood dope with their own blood which is still rampent.

If you took their all out 30 minute Time Trial power TODAY and took their normalized watts, and then took it for the Giro TTs or mountains you would either catch them or would slow them down dramatically. 500cc of red cells might give it a 15% boost or more... And 02 carriers another 10% on top of that. Training cannot be responsible for more than a 3% increase at this time of year...

A

Anonymous

so do we expect some resignations before the giro...

what exactly was the "breach of contract" involving the three rock riders....

oh hang on.. thats just speculation isnt it.. :D

A

Anonymous

i read it was hamilton retired, Creed, Baldwin and Grajales

oh.. fired to save money... :D

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I've no doubt some big fish will get tangled... People want it! All the Dr. Ferrari would be arguments need to be brought in first.

ANY protour rider who blood dopes with their own stored blood that has normal rectics will NOT be caught provided they "drain off" the extra blood post-races. IN fact... Even with total blood volume testing the UCI would have to GRAB the top guys immediately after the finish and test them because they could easily take 15 minutes to do such.

And the Division 3 teams are blood doping now too. Symmetrics "set it up" for their crits to be 50% range two whole years ago seeing where the sport was headed testing wise, and now "Tuft" on the "clean" Garmin team has his high crit from his hypnoxic tent. (Even though the control study found no subjects to get a hematocrit boost at all from the tent.)

In fact.... Based on the study you would get more stimulous just holding your breath as long as you possibly could twice per day.

I've heard Kloden's name tossed around. I has a sad. :(

Wouldn't be too surprised though, considering his performances and who he made them with/against.

Of course, they're all apparently safe now, since the UCI basically said "just kiddin, lol" a couple of days ago.

Why release the names on the eve of the GIRO

I know why they do it (promotion and publicity) but it really damages the sport when they release the names of well known riders on the eve of major events like the GIRO.

This doesn't happen in other sports. Why do they do this in cycling?

I am not against getting those that break the rules out of the sport - but let's not destroy cycling on the process.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
This doesn't happen in other sports. Why do they do this in cycling?

I am not against getting those that break the rules out of the sport - but let's not destroy cycling on the process.

For the most part they try not to do this.... The only time its been forced is under police investigations >> Festina 1998, Giro 2001 and Puerto 2006.

The UCI is a private body, they have no real power over the police authorities if they have any kind of warrant or resonable cause which might vary country to country.

The UCI even said after the Giro drug raid of 2001 quote "That was an over-reaction by the police." after 200 vials of drugs had been found, etc.

I'm sure the UCI would rather go after cheats in January, but that's not plausible.

Think of it this way: Riders and testing starts early in the season and records are kept. As cheaters start, the records start to show it. By the time May rolls around it's most likely this is when someone will be doped, and someone will be caught, and in this case, when the data will be sound enough to issue a sanction or a warning against the potential cheaters.

Furthermore, I think they'd rather have probably cheaters stopped before the big race (Basso, Ullrich, Valverde) than during it, or after it - especially if that cheater has ridden very well and gotten exposure and been associated as a big name in the sport/event (Landis, Rasmussen, Ricco, Lance even.).

I agree with your analysis and maybe the fact that the blood passport system is new (and cycling specific?) is partly why we have this but it doesn't work like this in other sports. Individuals get caught and sanctioned - typically on an individual basis. They don't save them up for a big show and tell (and neither do they leak results but that's another thread).

There does seem to be a different approach in cycling - and maybe as you say there is a good reason / explanation for this but the consequences are cetainly not helpful for the sport.

It goes with out saying that if there were no folks doping, there would be no positive tests and nothing to say!:rolleyes:

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
one elite rider who made top 10 in the recent giro has completely gone out of the news. gone like a wind...he also happened to be ;) numéro 9 sur l'indice de suspicion

has he received a standard 30-day letter from the uci asking to explain his values or else :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS