• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

First nation to win 'all the big races' in the 21st century (in men's cycling)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What nation will be the first to win 'all the big races' in the 21st century (in men's cycling)?

• Italy

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Spain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australia

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • United Kingdom

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Colombia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slovenia

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Belgium

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Denmark

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other/Kazakhstan

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
I think the UK are underrated here. They have strong single day riders and only need a single stage race win.

Slovenia is good enough to get everything.

Belgium has the capability but needs more stage racers.

Really depends on schedules more than anything.
I'll look at it later.

But I definitely don't think there's consensus that the one-week races are bigger than tier 2 classics like Strade, Amstel, GW, E3, Omloop and Flèche.
I expected that response. Not going to argue with you on that one but it is just a different reading of biggest and trying to strike a balance between classics and stage races.

In essence I consider there to be consensus about what the biggest one-day races and the biggest stace races are. Similarly to your point the Tour de France blows any monument out of the water.

I expected that response. Not going to argue with you on that one but it is just a different reading of biggest and trying to strike a balance between classics and stage races.

In essence I consider there to be consensus about what the biggest one-day races and the biggest stace races are. Similarly to your point the Tour de France blows any monument out of the water.

Somehow the debate indeed seem settled on 3 GTs, 7 week long stage races and 5 monuments.

P.S. But obviously there is much more to it.

If it wasn't for Van Avermaet fluking that Tirreno, Belgium would've had 0 stage races.
I think Remco would disagree with that statement.

Italy is close but also in an awkward spot. I don't think it's a coincidence that the two missing races are both stage races that happen in June. They are pretty incompatible with racing the Giro since that would mean holding top shape for nearly two months.

Australia has a surprisingly decent chance actually. They've taken care of the toughest ones already and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine say Hindley winning the Vuelta or Matthews winning the Ronde. Plus they have the talent pool to continue to churn out a decent number of world class riders to complete the set if the current generation can't get it done. Unlike say Slovenia who is going to be a lot more reliant on their current crop of riders to get it done.

Italy seems very close with only Dauphine and TdS missing but I dont see them winning these races the upcoming years. First of all I dont see any italian rider right now that would be able to win of these races but even if there would still be the problem with the Giro d'Italia before which would mostly be the target for Italians.

Spain is missing the cobbles classics which I dont see them winning the upcoming years. Same problem for Colombia.

Australia is missing so different styles of races that they would need some great riders. Ronde, Lombardia, Vuelta and Itzulia have very different profiles.

The UK is a bit behind right now but have surely chances to win some of the missing races in the next years. Ronde, Roubaix, LBL, Lombardia and Itzulia... Well, I would be surprised if Pidcock doesnt win at least one of these races. Maybe someone like one of the Yates-brothers has a shot at some races too and there is also Jake Stewart who I wouldnt underestimate for the cobbles. And last but not least some riders like Onley, Fred Wright and others who can develop to someone who has a shot at.

It's crazy that a small country with not that much cycling history like Slovenia has already won 11 races out of 17 while Roglic and Mohoric have a few years left and Pogacar looks like he just has started his career. Paris-Roubaix seems like the biggest issue to win right now.

Most surprising for me is that France has just won 4 of 17 races. We all know that they didnt have their greatest generations the last decades but it always felt like they had great riders who could win one or the other races, especially as they had riders for all types of races.

Italy seems very close with only Dauphine and TdS missing but I dont see them winning these races the upcoming years. First of all I dont see any italian rider right now that would be able to win of these races but even if there would still be the problem with the Giro d'Italia before which would mostly be the target for Italians.

Spain is missing the cobbles classics which I dont see them winning the upcoming years. Same problem for Colombia.

Australia is missing so different styles of races that they would need some great riders. Ronde, Lombardia, Vuelta and Itzulia have very different profiles.

The UK is a bit behind right now but have surely chances to win some of the missing races in the next years. Ronde, Roubaix, LBL, Lombardia and Itzulia... Well, I would be surprised if Pidcock doesnt win at least one of these races. Maybe someone like one of the Yates-brothers has a shot at some races too and there is also Jake Stewart who I wouldnt underestimate for the cobbles. And last but not least some riders like Onley, Fred Wright and others who can develop to someone who has a shot at.

It's crazy that a small country with not that much cycling history like Slovenia has already won 11 races out of 17 while Roglic and Mohoric have a few years left and Pogacar looks like he just has started his career. Paris-Roubaix seems like the biggest issue to win right now.

Most surprising for me is that France has just won 4 of 17 races. We all know that they didnt have their greatest generations the last decades but it always felt like they had great riders who could win one or the other races, especially as they had riders for all types of races.

I think it's a little telling that Slovenia lead France by 21-0 in WT stage races since the inception of the WorldTour.

Italy is in crisis, has nobody to fill Nibali's shoes, now or most problematically for the forseeable future. It's a problem of sponsorship, no independent World Tour team, resources and culture. The best of Italy goes abroad, and not just in cycling. The talent is there, but the resources are lacking. Pantani's demise, as far as cycling is concerned, left a black whole for the long term.

I'm counting both Helena Paparizou's and Azerbaijan's win as half a Swedish victory each, so it's actually 4 and 8 wins in my book.
As a Belgian, I don't know what is more likely to happen. Us winning a Tour de France or a Eurovision. In both cases I wasn't born when it happened last.
Hell, we might even have a bigger shot in winning a big tournament in football.

As a Belgian, I don't know what is more likely to happen. Us winning a Tour de France or a Eurovision. In both cases I wasn't born when it happened last.
Hell, we might even have a bigger shot in winning a big tournament in football.

Not that long ago, I would have said there were bigger chances for all of that to happen than a Belgian winning the WC in snooker, so you just have to keep believing!