• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Florian Lipowitz is the new German GC hope discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
More of a climber than a rouleur, that's why a big engine like Plapp was able to drop him on the uphill false flat.
He's not some lanky 52kg climber, so personally i'm not buying into this explanation. You could just as easily flip it and say that he should have been more fresh after the steeper part than Plapp and should have had more than enough in the tank to stay in the wheel. Also, Plapp was dropped himself by the guys that had been in the break all day so how strong he was should not be exaggerated either.

He's not some lanky 52kg climber, so personally i'm not buying into this explanation. You could just as easily flip it and say that he should have been more fresh after the steeper part than Plapp and should have had more than enough in the tank to stay in the wheel. Also, Plapp was dropped himself by the guys that had been in the break all day so how strong he was should not be exaggerated either.
Yeah, I got his and Zwiehoff's weight mixed up.

What a showing today, had a bad start yesterday but today he seemed like the 2nd strongest in the end. Great talent for sure.

GM0vThaWQAAJEa8

How good is he in long mountain finishes? I might be wrong but he is the one I think who will create some troubles for Pogi/UAE.
He's 3 min down, which is likely going to increase, if only because of bonus seconds. Plus, we don't know how well his form is going to hold up during 3 weeks. Don't see him being a concern for UAE unless things go tits up in a major way.

Reactions: primoz and yaco
What happened on stage 1? I know he's more a climber than a puncheur but how can you be probably the second best rider on stage 2 yet lose 3 minutes on stage 1? Did he sit up because he's not going for GC anyway?
He said yesterday that he felt much better than the day before, but he could have lost a little less time if he had really tried on Stage 1, I think.
Edit: I‘ve gone back and looked at the stage, he was dropped pretty early on Maddalena but came back to Bardet, only to drop 1.5 minutes to Bardet over the last climb.

Last edited:
Every german rider who was names a new GC hopeful after the Ulrich, Klöden era used to disappoint to some degree, I mean you could very well argue that even Klöden, and Jan Ullrich didn't make the most of their potential...After them came Jacksche, Sinkewitz, Fothen, Schumacher, Gerdemann, Nerz, Buchmann, Kämna, and all of them underperformed to different degrees for one or another reason.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Every german rider who was names a new GC hopeful after the Ulrich, Klöden era used to disappoint to some degree, I mean you could very well argue that even Klöden, and Jan Ullrich didn't make the most of their potential...After them came Jacksche, Sinkewitz, Fothen, Schumacher, Gerdemann, Nerz, Buchmann, Kämna, and all of them underperformed to different degrees for one or another reason.

Dont think Kämna is underperforming at all for the role he is born to be, which is more of a Jens Voigt role (if we wanna strictly talk german riders) its just that germany post Ullrich is so desperate for GC talent that theyll try to force any rider that has ever done 6w/kg uphill for 5minutes into that role

Reactions: Roku and Sandisfan

Herklotz, Brenner.

Why did he drop out? Sick?

According to https://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_138093.htm he is sick.