• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Floyd Explains How to Beat the Passport

I figure since this is a different angle (not who is doping but how), it deserves it's own thread:

Landis gives a detailed description of how micro-dosing EPO, combined with autologous transfusions can beat the Biological Passport:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=5222488

I especially like the line:

The main difference between their methodology and that of riders in the 1990s, Landis said, was riders of his era learned to inject EPO intravenously rather than subcutaneously, as a cancer patient or someone with another grave illness would do.

Apparently, the "C" word isn't quite so sacrosanct anymore...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
does Vaughters know this? Does Millar know this? I suggest they do.

"You can use three to four times your body's normal production of EPO if you inject it intravenously and have virtually no chance of testing positive within a matter of hours," Landis told ESPN.com. "So the biological passport is a joke, and I'm fairly certain the UCI knows about it." Landis added that he bought an expensive piece of machinery to measure his own reticulocyte count and also learned to do the analysis manually with a microscope.

According to Landis, the coup de grace that made this methodology work was that he and his U.S. Postal Service teammates routinely had advance notice of supposedly unannounced anti-doping controls. "We always knew when the blood testers were going to be there the following morning, so we would know when to have the saline solution bags so we could dilute our blood the night before," he said. He said he did not know how the team staff got wind of the schedule. "It was just nice that they did," he said.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Great article. Really. Now, who could they possibly have had in mind when they casually dropped the C-word? It's a puzzle I guess I'll never solve.........

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
pity Floyd is contradicting himself tho. I think he has said he went off the epo and moved onto transfusions around 2003. Should have qualified it, that he supplemented with microdosages

A

Anonymous

I am printing up some "I Heart Floyd Landis" tee shirts. Anyone want one?

blackcat said:
pity Floyd is contradicting himself tho. I think he has said he went off the epo and moved onto transfusions around 2003. Should have qualified it, that he supplemented with microdosages

I just went back to the original email and this is what I found:

2003: After a broken hip in the winter, I flew to Gerona Spain where this
time two units (half a liter each) were extracted three weeks apart. This
took place in the apartment in which Mr. Armstrong lived and in which I was
asked to stay and check the blood temperature every day. It was kept in a
small refrigerator in the closet allong with the blood of Mr Armstrong and
George Hincapie and since Mr. Armstrong was planning on being gone for a few
weeks to train he asked me to stay in his place and make sure the
electricity didn't turn off or something go wrong with the referigerator.
Then during the Tour de France the entire team, on two different occasions
went to the room that we were told and the doctor met us there to do the
transfusions. During that Tour de France I personally witnessed George
Hincapie, Lance Armstrong, Chechu Rubiera, and myself receiving blood
transfusions. Also during that Tour de France the team doctor would give my
room mate, George Hincapie an
d I a small syringe of olive oil in which was disolved andriol, a form of
ingestible testosterone on two out of three nights throughout the duration.

I was asked to ride the Vuelta a Espana that year in support of Roberto
Heras and in August, between the Tour and the Vuelta, was told to take EPO
to raise my hematocrit back up so more blood transfusions could be
performed. I was instructed to go to Lances place by Johan Bruyneel and get
some EPO from him. The first EPO I ever used was then handed to me in the
entry way to his building in full view of his then wife. It was Eprex by
brand and it came in six pre measured syringes.
I used it intravenously for
several weeks before the next blood draw and had no problems with the tests
during the Vuelta. Also during this time it was explained to me how to use
Human Growth Hormone by Johan Bruyneel and I bought what I needed from Pepe
the team "trainer" who lived in Valencia along with the team doctor at that
time. While training for that Vuelta I spent a good deal of time training
with Matthew White and Michael Barry and shared the testosterone and EPO
that we had and discussed the use thereof while training

According to that timeline, Landis actually started taking EPO in 2003. There is no reference in that original email to him stopping, simply more references to transfusions.

Does he say something different elsewhere?

A

Anonymous

MacRoadie said:
I just went back to the original email and this is what I found:

According to that timeline, Landis actually started taking EPO in 2003. There is no reference in that original email to him stopping, simply more references to transfusions.

Does he say something different elsewhere?

Yea, after Blackcat posted that, I went and searched. I didn't find anywhere that he said he quit in 2003. The only reference is to Armstrong talking about having to do transfusions because of the test, but Landis never stated he stopped taking EPO.

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
"Injecting EPO intravenously has the same effect of boosting red blood cell count and improving oxygen processing capacity. However, the drug disperses more quickly in the bloodstream and thus becomes undetectable sooner -- especially if riders dilute their blood with an intravenous drip of saline solution or simply by drinking a lot of water after injecting it."

Long showers for the win.

TFF your Tshirt idea has some legs.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
According to Landis, the coup de grace that made this methodology work was that he and his U.S. Postal Service teammates routinely had advance notice of supposedly unannounced anti-doping controls. "We always knew when the blood testers were going to be there the following morning, so we would know when to have the saline solution bags so we could dilute our blood the night before," he said. He said he did not know how the team staff got wind of the schedule. "It was just nice that they did," he said.

Maybe is was common for the vampires to show up in the morning when you are racing the Tour with Lance on your Team in the afternoon? Duh?

I have always been a Fan of Floyd, unlike some Fair-Weather Floyd Fans on this Forum. But Floyd was never good at schedule keeping, barely showed up to his ITT's on time:)

Has it always been illegal to rehydrate with saline injections at the TdF?

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
I want one, and I also propose that May 20th henceforth should be known as the international Floyd Landis day.

Isn't it already Eliza Doolittle Day?

As much as Floyd may be loved, can HE say "The rain in spain stays mainly in the plains"?

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
That is a pretty damning article. What does the UCI do now, in response? Clearly the biopassport isn't very effective, other than to maybe weed out the careless.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I am printing up some "I Heart Floyd Landis" tee shirts. Anyone want one?

I want one in size L, so I can retire my current one:
25126_111994975507694_100000915769281_76195_7572199_n.jpg

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
HiTex38 said:
I'm having time line issues here.

Why would you need to microdose in 2005? Michael Ashenden says it's only become a problem in the last year.

And why would Landis know about the blood passport, that started in 2007?

Is Landis trying to make his testimony relevent to the present day?

1. You would need to microdose because otherwise you would test positive.

2. Ashenden did not say that.

3. Landis knows about the passport because he has not been locked in an isolation chamber for the last 3 years.

4. I think Landis's statements are relevant to the present day, without him "trying."

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:
That is a pretty damning article. What does the UCI do now, in response? Clearly the biopassport isn't very effective, other than to maybe weed out the careless.

The expert "Jury of Nine" team that analyze the biopassport datapoints are a few steps ahead of Floyd don't you think? Or do you think Floyd just unveiled some super-secret doping routine....

TRENDING THREADS