• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Floyd to be charged with fraud

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ÅSBJÖRN BENKT said:
it's good that he's finally come to terms with the idea what he did was wrong. many people seemed not to notice, but his first admissions and interviews were almost completely unrepentent. they were done to take revenge on the sport. maybe the way people in the anti antidoping community allowed him the space to think about it has helped him.

What twaddle. Perhaps the fact that cycling comeplety turned it's back on him and denied there was a problem lead Floyd to this path. With the knowledge that anti-doping doesn't actually exisit he didn't need to find any great revelation about what was right and wrong. Cycling is still rotten.

Paying back people who knew the score about the game won't resolve a lot.

Stop pretending this is some defining moment of truth. It's far short of that.

Here's looking at you Livestrong.

ÅSBJÖRN BENKT said:
it's good that he's finally come to terms with the idea what he did was wrong. many people seemed not to notice, but his first admissions and interviews were almost completely unrepentent. they were done to take revenge on the sport. maybe the way people in the anti antidoping community allowed him the space to think about it has helped him.
Actually, no. He was unrepentant about having doped, and he probably still is (as was, for example, Jörg Jaksche), due to the prevalent culture in the peloton at the time. But from the very beginning he showed remorse for the way he acted after his positive, and about the FFF in particular. He was talking about paying his contributors back from the start, or nearly so.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If Landis was smart then for the last two years he should have gotten a job or some other way of making money, even if it was racing for a crap team, and contributed a percentage of his income to repaying the FFF. It would have been smart to show good faith. It looks like he will end up with a decent outcome, but it could have been a lot worse.

Agreed. And yes, he should have done that. Such an effort would have done wonders for his credibility (in general, as person), and also maybe his self-esteem.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Cal_Joe said:
From Floyd's Twitter account today:

Woo. F***ing. Hoo. There are no winners in any of this.
And as a courtesy, that account can be found here.

https://twitter.com/#!/FakeFloydLandis

One caveat - no one is ever sure exactly who is posting on that account at any given time.

Just saw this. See, that's an area where Floyd and I differ. (OK, there are probably tons of such areas.) If I were in his shoes, today's outcome is something I'd have been grateful for: "You mean all I have to do is the right thing - pay people back - and I'm good? I can do that, hell yeah!"

Some people I just don't get.

Maxiton said:
Just saw this. see, that's an area where Floyd and I differ. (OK, there are probably tons of such areas.) If I were in his shoes, today's outcome is something I'd have been grateful for: "You mean all I have to do is the right thing - pay people back - and I'm good? I can do that, hell yeah!"

Some people I just don't get.

It's not him. There's a hint in the word "fake".

May 14, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
So no whistle blower pay check then?

I thought they were going to put the whistle blower in jail - something that happens too often. Doesn't sound like Floyd himself holds out much hope of a financial windfall - could still happen, though.

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
Actually, no. He was unrepentant about having doped, and he probably still is (as was, for example, Jörg Jaksche), due to the prevalent culture in the peloton at the time. But from the very beginning he showed remorse for the way he acted after his positive, and about the FFF in particular. He was talking about paying his contributors back from the start, or nearly so.

i said almost completely unrepentent. i know in hindsight he wished he'd taken the two years and come back and doped again.

his views on doping are essentially the same thing armstrong says to people he knows in private, yet because they are different characters, one is treated as a hero, the other is a villian. life is like that i suppose.

ÅSBJÖRN BENKT said:
i said almost completely unrepentent. i know in hindsight he wished he'd taken the two years and come back and doped again.

his views on doping are essentially the same thing armstrong says to people he knows in private, yet because they are different characters, one is treated as a hero, the other is a villian. life is like that i suppose.
Landis was firmly in the villain camp until he confessed. That's a pretty major difference.

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, Landis did engage in a fraudulent activity, soliciting funds on the basis of a blatent lie and associated misinformation.

On the other hand, the ignorant clowns that actually believed Landis and donated to the FFF hardly deserve to be reimbursed. Stupidity has a price, and they paid it.

And in the end, Landis just didn't do enough good for enough people for the courts to leave things as they were.

MarkvW said:
Too bad it took the filing of criminal charges to get "a concrete procedure for repayment in place."

But I'm glad Floyd's on the road to paying people back. And I'm glad it's a deferred prosecution, too.

How does this compare to buying books that we supposed to be autobiographic but very deep lies? Floyd did some, Lance did more.

Can we get Lance to pay back $1 per bracelet since the onlt reason to buy was a lie?

I do believe that Floyd was going to pay up when he was ready for it. A bit of a nag from the justice system to push him for it while being so lax to Lance. Seems like a Lance-inpired action to get him in the bench for his deeds. He can't prove Lance hold him to ask fans for money probably.

Cloxxki said:
How does this compare to buying books that we supposed to be autobiographic but very deep lies? Floyd did some, Lance did more.

Can we get Lance to pay back $1 per bracelet since the onlt reason to buy was a lie?

I do believe that Floyd was going to pay up when he was ready for it. A bit of a nag from the justice system to push him for it while being so lax to Lance. Seems like a Lance-inpired action to get him in the bench for his deeds. He can't prove Lance hold him to ask fans for money probably.

You're arguing that because Lance got off, Floyd should get off too? If that's the law, then Lance's behavior is legal, isn't it?

They're both unrepentant doping scum, but Floyd is now behaving like a decent human being. We'll never see that from Lance.

TRENDING THREADS