• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Announcement Forum Migrations - 4/27

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
While I could do without all the reactions, I would much prefer if the thumps up were the only option. The mocking usage of the laughing reaction adds no value.
All of the "reaction emojis" are mutli-use. The laughing one could be what was posted is funny, or it could be its funny that someone would post that. I like "thumbs up" posts sometimes that I appreciate the post even if I don't like the content. All of the reaction emojis are that way.

When you laugh at a post that doesn't try to be funny, it's quite clear that you are mocking it. No matter the situation, giving a post a thumbs up will never leave a negative impression (about the poster of the liked post).
I don't know. Many members try to be funny/witty so there could certainly be times where I click the laughing emoji, when in fact the post wasn't intended to be funny. I'm certainly guilty of using it in a zinger way with ad nauseam posts.

I can point you to many posts where the thumbs up was seen as negative so I don't agree with that assertion.

Check now. ;)

Just another thing @CParsons if you can help. Imgur images, past and present, are not loading anymore unfortunately. Only thing visible is a red cross in place of an image.

I've found this thread, as it seems other people on Xenforums have this issue as well:

From the site
It seems imgur have recently made a change which prevents their images from being proxied for some (possibly all, eventually) sites.
The options are to add their URL to the proxy bypass:

1684178314901.png

Reactions: search
Just another thing @CParsons if you can help. Imgur images, past and present, are not loading anymore unfortunately. Only thing visible is a red cross in place of an image.

I've found this thread, as it seems other people on Xenforums have this issue as well:

From the site

Your duck isn't visible anymore. :(

Reactions: Lequack
Your duck isn't visible anymore. :(
Yes, just one among many other Imgur pics.

For example Tadej Pogacar thread first post:

Reactions: BR2
A lot of the old in-forum-links are no longer working and take you to a 404 page. I've tried the "riders-teams" overview topic where all topics of riders and teams are listed in the opening posts by randomly clicking some links, i think 3 out of 4 links do no longer work.

When you laugh at a post that doesn't try to be funny, it's quite clear that you are mocking it. No matter the situation, giving a post a thumbs up will never leave a negative impression (about the poster of the liked post).
It is the only way to respond to a troll post that doesn't get you banned. But as i said before, i would personally prefer a roll-eyes option. Or no reactions at all.
And thumbs up can certainly be used in the same way by the way. You can check this by responding to a factual or logical statement i make and try to mock it or myself and you will see you will get a thumbs up by Salvarini. We can test it now:

2+2=4

Now if you quote the above and tell me i have no idea how math works, you will get a thumbs up by Salvarini.

That's not equivalent to the laugh. It still approves of the content of the post (which in this case would be a mocking of another poster), and it's non-hostile towards the poster it's a reaction to.

So while it can be used to approve of negative content, or to be perceived as to approve of negative content, it cannot be used in a hostile manner towards the poster it is a reaction to. Unlike the laugh.

Last edited:
That's not equivalent to the laugh. It still approves of the content of the post (which in this case would be a mocking of another poster), and it's non-hostile towards the poster it's a reaction to.

So while it can be used to approve of negative content, or to be perceived as to approve of negative content, it cannot be used in a hostile manner towards the poster it is a reaction to. Unlike the laugh.
In the example i used, it is also not intended for the user that posted the comment, but the user to which the comment was a reaction to. So it comes down to the same thing.

CParsons

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Visit site

From the site

Sorry, I thought I put the fix in place here but I guess not. I actually worked with Xenforo to fix it. It's in place now. Keep in mind, the fix only works if the images were associated with an IMGUR account and IMGUR didn't remove them.

Reactions: Lequack and search
Testing:
uSNlSEs.png

hEUls5L.png

It works!

At least the second image isn't associated with any account btw.

Last edited:
Oh darn. Yes I never actually used an account with Imgur.
I'm curious, what happens if you change your signature and then change it back again using the same url for the image?

sS6YqcN.png

EDIT: Yep, you just have to post it again, you can use the same old url.

EDIT2: To down below: That works too, but you didn't even have to do that. It'd work with the same old upload again. It's the old url in this post.

Last edited: